Macaroni Salad :P

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I made macaroni salad tonight...deli macaroni salad has taken a turn for the worse in my neck of the woods so I figured I'd try makin' up a batch of my own...

Well...it ain't so much that it was bad as it is it wern't macaroni salad...way too sweet, almost like coleslaw. It tastes fine, but it isn't the flavor I was looking for.

Here's the recipe, if you like coleslaw and pasta you may enjoy it, it tastes just like Marzetti's Slaw Dressing to me:
MACARONI SALAD

1 lbs. pkg. macaroni
1 lg. bell pepper, shredded
1 med. onion, shredded
2 lg. carrots, shredded
2 c. Real Mayonnaise
1 c. apple cider vinegar (brown)
1 tbsp. salt
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pepper; optional

Cook macaroni with the salt added. Drain all water off, after it has cooked. Mix in large bowl: bell pepper, onion, carrots, salad dressing, vinegar, Eagle Brand milk, and pepper, if desired. Pour mixture into cooked macaroni, stir, then refrigerate.

100_0753.jpg

Anyone have a more traditional recipe?

Last edited:
Well this macaroni salad tastes totally different today after refrigerating it overnight.

The pasta soaked up 50 or 60% of the liquid sauce.

It was much better today..still a little sweet for my taste, but well within the range of tastes I associate with macaroni salad.

If you enjoy a sweet macaroni salad, give this recipe a try.

P.S. - As an aside...kudos to Barilla, in 8 minutes after adding noodles to boiling water and returning them to a rolling boil, I had perfect macaroni, exactly per the directions.

I hate deli macaroni salad! Of course I worked in a deli for awhile.
Your recipe sounds good, I will have to try it!

My daughter loves this macaroni salad I get with a mustard base, and it has diced up eggs in it too.

Anyone have a good recipe for something along those lines? Thanks!

A half a dozen finely chopped eggs, 1/2 C grated gerkins sweet pickles, 1/4 C grated onion, 1 1/2 to 2 C Best foods or Helms mayo (add mayo to desired consistency), 2 spoonfuls of mustard, 4 C cooked macaroni, 1 cup of diced cheddar cheese (cheese is optional) salt and pepper to taste, a dash of celery seeds if desired.

Yummy.

Macaroni salad is always better in theory than in actuality, though. I always end up with a belly ache.

Maybe it's the peppers.

This sounds close to what I make:

Classic Macaroni Salad - All Recipes

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar (I'd cut this to 1/4 C.)
2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (I would mix yellow and Dijon)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)
I'd add 3 hard boiled eggs, and paprika)

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.

No, you know what, it's the CELERY that makes my stomach hurt.

I eat it anyway. I just pay for 12 hours after.

If you ever goto PONDEROSA have thier Mac salad!!!!

IT IS MY FAVOURITE!!!!!!!

I have loved it since the 80s when i used to goto BONANZA (Thats where i first had it (BONANZA AND PONDEROSA ARE THE SAME COMPANY (I didnt know that then)))

My #2 fav is Pizza Huts Mac salad.......

Forum List

Back