Mac Versus Windoze Versus Linux

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
Alright, being a programmer on Intel chip IBM-like computers there is one thing that bothers me about that stupid argument. Why is it that it's always Mac vs. PC when Mac IS a Personal Computer (PC)? Now, I will give in that it's probably because Microsoft won't allow them to say Windoze (misspelled purpose), but now Microsoft has gotten the arrogance to think that Windoze is the only OS for non-Apple PCs as well. I am now usiing Ubuntu, great GUI for Linux so I can do my everyday stuff in a neat and fully customizable GUI, got tired of Windoze crashing whenever I tested a program that had only a tiny error. But their new commercials are just helping to enforce the stupidity and ignorance most Americans have for technology. Anyone else share this gripe?

Alright, being a programmer on Intel chip IBM-like computers there is one thing that bothers me about that stupid argument. Why is it that it's always Mac vs. PC when Mac IS a Personal Computer (PC)? Now, I will give in that it's probably because Microsoft won't allow them to say Windoze (misspelled purpose), but now Microsoft has gotten the arrogance to think that Windoze is the only OS for non-Apple PCs as well. I am now usiing Ubuntu, great GUI for Linux so I can do my everyday stuff in a neat and fully customizable GUI, got tired of Windoze crashing whenever I tested a program that had only a tiny error. But their new commercials are just helping to enforce the stupidity and ignorance most Americans have for technology. Anyone else share this gripe?

Like most people (I'm assuming), I'm an end user. Started out with DOS and found my last true comfort zone Win3.1. (I've never quite gotten the hang of the Registry thing!) I'm in admiration of those of you who are technologically on top but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as I have a computer that suits my needs, which are very basic, I don't trouble myself agonizing over whether or not there is something out there that is better. Windows XP-Pro works fine for me. So, to answer your question, I guess I don't have a gripe.

Like most people (I'm assuming), I'm an end user. Started out with DOS and found my last true comfort zone Win3.1. (I've never quite gotten the hang of the Registry thing!) I'm in admiration of those of you who are technologically on top but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as I have a computer that suits my needs, which are very basic, I don't trouble myself agonizing over whether or not there is something out there that is better. Windows XP-Pro works fine for me. So, to answer your question, I guess I don't have a gripe.

Cool. I write code for your type so you are one of the people I am grateful exist. If everyone wrote code I'd be out of a purpose in life. *smirk* If you ever run into problems with Windoze though, look into Linux GUI's, just for a suggestion. I miss Windows 98, that was the best of their OS's, when you still had MS-DOS to fall back on if Windoze screwed up too much. There are security reasons to switch now as well, Mac is no more secure than Windoze but Linux/Unix leads in security. But just keep in mind, you have more than two choices if you ever upgrade. I write in Java now, I love cross-platform stuff.

But just keep in mind, you have more than two choices if you ever upgrade. I write in Java now, I love cross-platform stuff.

I'm content to be greatful for people like you. I can make Excel do almost anything except the dishes. But I'm aware that someone "wrote" it and I don't have a clue how they did it...I just use it. My son is a Systems Analyst for the USDA and thinks Linux is the only way to go. But he knows my limitations and use requirements so he just lets me go on my merry, uninformed way. Everytime he visits and "tweaks" my system, I have about a three month set-back figuring things out!:frown:

From the mystified corner, many thanks to you... and keep up the good work!:clap2:

I'm saving up (low priority) for a new HD and Motherboard but I was briefly using Ubuntu as well. It was really a nice alternative until my (new) computer met its untimely demise.

Currently I am making do with Windows 98 on my old faithfull.

I'm saving up (low priority) for a new HD and Motherboard but I was briefly using Ubuntu as well. It was really a nice alternative until my (new) computer met its untimely demise.

Currently I am making do with Windows 98 on my old faithfull.

I have an old faithful with 98 to. I love that laptop, someone offered 50$ for it and I told them I wouldn't sell it for anything. My other laptop I am keeping Windoze XP for software testing, but Ubuntu is sweet. I love it. It's great for people who are use to Windoze but also allows us command line junkies to get our fix. Also, a side note (it's free so no selling points possible) it hasn't been hacked by anyone yet. They had a software security convention where they have hackers test the security of almost everything, Ubuntu was the only one to survive with no hacking successes.

We've use Macs in my business for 20 years plus. When we began Mac was the only system that could support a relational data base. Through the years it has been reliable, and economical to use! We are a medium size specialty manufacturer with 27 employees,

Last edited:
Mac was the first to utilize any full database into the OS directly, except for the more expensive Unix. I will enjoy your views from a Mac user, so welcome, I know only a very small amount of Macintosh/Apple information so feel free to correct any mistakes I may post on that topic.

I just recently switched from Windows Vista on my Dell PC to Windows XP, and I purchased a MacBook. For my PC I found that Vista was way too slow, even after all the upgrades I put into it. Then I tried to install all my music software, and I kept getting errors all over the place. Then the music hardware was an issue for it as well. Eventually I just stopped trying and wiped Vista off to go back to the more reliable XP.

As for the MacBook, after my terrible experience with Vista I knew I didn't want to get a laptop with any kind of Microsoft operating system. I absolutely love it. It runs smoothly and I've yet to have a problem with it. I know when I go to buy my next desktop I will definitely be making the switch once and for all.

Windoze has been going downhill since Gates started leaving all the OS decisions to that new moron, 98 is even more stable than XP. The speed for Windoze will slow drastically with more updates, it loads some of them as services and the more services you add the slower it goes and the less reliable it becomes. Which is why I prefer Ubuntu/Linux, most updates are direct updates and don't get started as new services but are integrated into the programs or OS they update. Since you don't seem afraid of change I recommend you try it, it's free forever and has a lot of options for test driving without committing to it. At the worst you will just waste some time.

I've been a Mac user for more than twenty years both at work and at home. We choose Mac years ago for our business because we ask all of the computer people we had in a very simple question. Can the system you're proposing handle our inventory if it is comprises of finished kits that are made up of other stock keeping units? Only one man said yes with one provision--we needed a Mac system. We didn't know Mac from IBM at the time so we said yes---it is still running today. We maintain our own system today without outside consultants et al. My wife and I have used Mac's at home for nearly 20 years. In the whole period we have never had to buy protective systems for various viruses et al, and still have our oldest machines running on our far newer system albeit they have been retired to printing part and kit labels, and short run instruction sheets.

Last edited:
I have used all three extensively. I don't care for Macs, so now I use Windows and Liunx (I'm on Linux right now).

For Windows I run XP Pro and Vista. Been running Vista since launch and I have to say I have had little or no trouble with it on the two computers it is running on. Trouble I did have was early on. For me it has been a stable OS, though it uses more RAM than I like to see consumed by the operating system.

I like Windows and Linux both, however.

I was a die-hard XP user until I found a smokin' deal on a 17" PowerBook G4... It was a bit of a learning curve to switch to MAC OS X, but now I love it. I still appreciate that if you want to work in an office in America, you had best be comfortable on Windows, so I play with Windows whenever I have the opportunity, but I hope my PowerBook never falls on the floor. Grown men shouldn't cry unless a woman is involved.

-Joe

Alright, being a programmer on Intel chip IBM-like computers there is one thing that bothers me about that stupid argument. Why is it that it's always Mac vs. PC when Mac IS a Personal Computer (PC)?

I was a Mac-only user from the 80s to the early 90s when the PC started to catch up. Today, I switch between both without any problem. (I'm also an Ubuntu user, having started with UNIX before the Mac.) Each OS has its own advantages, so I don't limit myself to just one.

This is what I use on the Mac:

Windows on Mac and Mac Virtualization: Parallels Desktop for Mac

Gotta say this, I am happy with the responses to this though I haven't caught up until just now. Most people I have talked about OS's with just attack anyone who says their favorite has problems. It is true, all OS's have issues, none are perfect. It's also nice to see more people trying out different ones instead of just limiting themselves to only one, as Xsited said. You can't judge a book by it's cover, the only reason I haven't worked extensively with Mac myself is because I like to buy a lot of parts then piece things together until they work how I like them to, so thanks Mac users for sharing.

I was a Mac-only user from the 80s to the early 90s when the PC started to catch up. Today, I switch between both without any problem. (I'm also an Ubuntu user, having started with UNIX before the Mac.) Each OS has its own advantages, so I don't limit myself to just one.

This is what I use on the Mac:

Windows on Mac and Mac Virtualization: Parallels Desktop for Mac

I've tried Parallels and also WINE on Linux. Works great for most things, but one of my main recreations is gaming (the primary reason I use Windows in addition to Linux) and for the vast majority of games, using Parallels and WINE are not an option. The games run horribly.

I've tried Parallels and also WINE on Linux. Works great for most things, but one of my main recreations is gaming (the primary reason I use Windows in addition to Linux) and for the vast majority of games, using Parallels and WINE are not an option. The games run horribly.

I only wish they would fix that support so that more people would use Linux, though this doesn't apply to you since you have tried both, it is often the lame excuse I hear used to justify them not even trying Linux/Unix. I love Linux because most web servers run on *Nix, so it makes development that much easier.
The biggest problem is the MS won't release most of their drivers to Open Source, thus the WINE programmers have to write work-arounds or really bad substitutes. One way I found to fix this is to copy the actual Windoze DLLs, but that's a LOT of work just for gaming.

1 One way I found to fix this is to copy the actual Windoze DLLs, but that's a LOT of work just for gaming.

I could give that a try. I dual boot, so it's not much trouble switching between OSes.

Most of the games I like to play are first-person shooters or an online game like Warhammer Online (my current favorite). The shooters have high system specs, and the online games tend to demand a lot of resources as well, so I find it runs better simply booting into Windows for gaming. For almost everything else I run Linux. I even have Firefox set up in Linux to log on to work through Citrix so I can use MSWord, etc. for work files without having to boot into Windows. We are not allowed to save anything other than Word documents into our work system, so even though I have OpenOffice and Star Office, I can't use them for work documents.

As a fellow gamer myself, I can certainly relate. Like you, I have a dedicated Windows 'gaming box' just for that.

I could give that a try. I dual boot, so it's not much trouble switching between OSes.

Most of the games I like to play are first-person shooters or an online game like Warhammer Online (my current favorite). The shooters have high system specs, and the online games tend to demand a lot of resources as well, so I find it runs better simply booting into Windows for gaming. For almost everything else I run Linux. I even have Firefox set up in Linux to log on to work through Citrix so I can use MSWord, etc. for work files without having to boot into Windows. We are not allowed to save anything other than Word documents into our work system, so even though I have OpenOffice and Star Office, I can't use them for work documents.

The newest Open Office I know can save in Word format, I use to use it in Windoze all the time before the switch anyway because it can write in PDF as well.

Forum List

Back