MA Legislature re-legalizes "cruel" traps

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
The Massachusetts state legislature recently passed House Bill 4943, allowing the use of certain body gripping animal traps that were outlawed by the voters in a state-wide referendum in 1996.

I wonder if Deval Patrick will sign it or veto it? :eusa_think:

What do you think about the use of these traps?

What do you think about the legislature snubbing the will of the people?

The Massachusetts state legislature recently passed House Bill 4943, allowing the use of certain body gripping animal traps that were outlawed by the voters in a state-wide referendum in 1996.

Link.

• Banned

Link.

I'm not referencing any particular article. Just passing on something I happen to know as a matter of fact.

You're welcome to google it for yourself.

Link.

I'm not referencing any particular article. Just passing on something I happen to know as a matter of fact.

The reason I asked was because I wanted to know the purpose of these traps. Are they designed for any particuler varmint and are the varmints causing any significant problem?

• Banned

The reason I asked was because I wanted to know the purpose of these traps. Are they designed for any particuler varmint and are the varmints causing any significant problem?

I don't know.

But these guys sure are against them:

Animal Rescue League of Boston: Trapping Bill Passes Legislature

I don't know.

I'm sure they are. When I was younger I used to trap animals for their fur. I didn't make much money but it was fun. When trapping for fur you have to use a "body gripping" trap as not to damage the hide. Now if your state has a high population of fur bearing animals then I don't see the problem. In most cases it's essential to lower a certain critters population for the well being of all animals and the environment itself.

• Banned

I don't know.

I'm sure they are. When I was younger I used to trap animals for their fur. I didn't make much money but it was fun. When trapping for fur you have to use a "body gripping" trap as not to damage the hide. Now if your state has a high population of fur bearing animals then I don't see the problem. In most cases it's essential to lower a certain critters population for the well being of all animals and the environment itself.

I bet this poor guy would beg to differ:

350x275_dog_in_trap.jpg

I do not understand why they can not come up with a more Humane Trap System.

I don't know.

350x275_dog_in_trap.jpg

I'm a rancher my heart doesn't bleed quite as easily as yours. So a dog gets caught in a trap, shit happens!

If you notice the dog isn't hurt, those traps aren't designed to kill just to capture.

Last edited:

I agree.

But there is another issue here too. The people voted to ban these traps, and at least according to the rescue league link, 79% of residents want them to stay banned. It's really fucking annoying when the legislature ignores the people's vote. They did the same damn thing with the seatbelt laws.

Nothing new...just look what they did for Ted Kennedy's seat ;).

On a side note this means my friend who makes his living from hunting and fishing only wont have to worry about those traps he never stopped using.

I hate hunting, i really dont like animal traps at all, but I wont begrudge other's the right to do so in whatever way they see fit even though I voted against it in 96.

Last edited:

I agree.

But there is another issue here too. The people voted to ban these traps, and at least according to the rescue league link, 79% of residents want them to stay banned. It's really fucking annoying when the legislature ignores the people's vote. They did the same damn thing with the seatbelt laws.

If you ever ran over a "bear" trap with a dirtbike you would understand why I, um I mean we, voted to ban them ;).

350x275_dog_in_trap.jpg

I'm a rancher my heart doesn't bleed quite as easily as yours. So a dog gets caught in a trap, shit happens!

If you notice the dog isn't hurt, those traps aren't designed to kill just to capture.

A google image search will quickly dispel your misconception that these things don't hurt animals. Apparently one of the biggest casualties is birds of prey... which really surprised me. A lot of eagles and owls get caught in these things.

350x275_dog_in_trap.jpg

A google image search will quickly dispel your misconception that these things don't hurt animals. Apparently one of the biggest casualties is birds of prey... which really surprised me. A lot of eagles and owls get caught in these things.

I have no doubt that there's an unintended consequence in using traps, but in all honesty it's not as common as you may think. There was a reason why they legalized the use of these traps but I can't find the text of HB 4943 to get the other side of the story.

Birds of prey go after traps that have been baited.

I agree.

If you ever ran over a "bear" trap with a dirtbike you would understand why I, um I mean we, voted to ban them ;).

Were you riding on private property or do they allow traps in public parks?

I agree.

the government knows what is best for you.....

I agree.

:lol: I live near a state forest, federally owned, in MA. Bill clinton made it illegal to drive off-road vehicles anywhere you wanted on federal lands in the 90's. There is a lot of woods where I grew up here, still is even though much has been developed.

go to google maps and punch in 02360 and you will see lots of forest.

Massachusetts in not "re-legalizing" banned traps with this bill - period. "kill traps" used underwater, with a 10-permit has been legal for 10 years and that's the way it will stay. I should know, since I worked with the legislator who submitted the original bill. The only thing h.4943 does is to bring back, into the permitting process, the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and mandates that the number of animals taken under issued permits be reported to the Joint Committee on the Environ., Nat. Res. and AG annually - THAT'S IT. I see that as a good thing. The AR's are freaking out because it shows that there is enough momentum throughout the state to modify the crazy, costly law that THEY pushed 14 years ago, through a ballot question... where the urban centers rule and have little to no clue about the management of wildlife such as beaver.

Look for yourself... Here is the bill that came out of committee:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4172

Here is the amendments to that bill as it sits before the governor:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4943

:lol: I live near a state forest, federally owned, in MA. Bill clinton made it illegal to drive off-road vehicles anywhere you wanted on federal lands in the 90's. There is a lot of woods where I grew up here, still is even though much has been developed.

go to google maps and punch in 02360 and you will see lots of forest.

I think placing traps on public property isn't very smart. Someone needs to rethink that part of it.

Forum List

Back