Lynne Cheney's Literary Masterpiece

Mariner

Nov 7, 2004
Boston, Mass.
I was very surprised to see the official White House website plugging Lynne Cheney's wife's 1981 novel, which I haven't read, but which I've heard has a lesbian theme... ! I can just imagine conservative Muslims reading juicy excerpts provided on the website and saying, "See how decadent America is!"

http://www.whitehouse.org/administration/sisters.asp

I have no problem with Lynne Cheney writing anything she wants... but why would we want to promote it on the White House website?

Mariner.

Because it's cute and makes us giggle.

Seriously: I don't know. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Mariner said:
I was very surprised to see the official White House website plugging Lynne Cheney's wife's 1981 novel, which I haven't read, but which I've heard has a lesbian theme... ! I can just imagine conservative Muslims reading juicy excerpts provided on the website and saying, "See how decadent America is!"

I have no problem with Lynne Cheney writing anything she wants... but why would we want to promote it on the White House website?

Mariner.

so you want gays to have the right to marray and be treat the same as any other couple....you have the wife of the vp of the united states of america promoting a book on the whitehouse website supporting a gay lifstyle....and you don't think that is appropriate because it might upset muslims.....

hole lee shyte .....

problem with her writing a novel about anything at all. I'm just curious what it's doing on the official website of the President of the United States, complete with excerpts concerning menstruation and early teenage sexuality. How exactly is that an appropriate use of some rather important web real estate?

I'd guess that conservative Christians and homopprobes (as Abbey Normal suggested calling them) would disapprove too. I mean, the Southern Baptist convention had been boycotting Disney (until it produced Narnia and canned a reality series in which homopprobic neighbors accept a gay couple). OCA, where are you?

I can't imagine that if Hillary Clinton wrote a lesbian-themed novel and advertised it on the Clinton White House website that this wouldn't immediately cause a sensation among conservatives... Can you?!

Sanjay

Mariner said:
problem with her writing a novel about anything at all. I'm just curious what it's doing on the official website of the President of the United States, complete with excerpts concerning menstruation and early teenage sexuality. How exactly is that an appropriate use of some rather important web real estate?

I'd guess that conservative Christians and homopprobes (as Abbey Normal suggested calling them) would disapprove too. I mean, the Southern Baptist convention had been boycotting Disney (until it produced Narnia and canned a reality series in which homopprobic neighbors accept a gay couple). OCA, where are you?

I can't imagine that if Hillary Clinton wrote a lesbian-themed novel and advertised it on the Clinton White House website that this wouldn't immediately cause a sensation among conservatives... Can you?!

Sanjay

thanks for clearing that up...he is the pres it is his website he can do as he wishes....does it un-nerve you that a president ya'll have tagged a cristian zelot allowed this?...maybe ya'll have him pegged wrong.....hillary is a lesbian so for her to write a book about it wouldn't shock me......you never know she might get the chance to post it on her whitehouse website....

Has anyone read it? Is it what was billed as scandalous?

the official White House opinion that it's a "literary masterpiece," the purple prose of the excerpts gave me no desire to read it at all. However, you can download the entire thing from the White House directly, or you can buy a used copy for around $200 (yes, it's become a collector's item, though whether among conservatives, liberals, or lesbians, I'm not sure). I've read that it's neither especially scandalous nor especially well-written.

Admit it, you guys know it's true: if a Democratic VP's wife's book was being shilled on the President's website, you'd say he was cheapening the office.

Manu, maybe if Hillary really is gay, she'll have the balls to stand up to this lying, human-rights-abusing, stomp-the-poor administration. It's going to be a fun fight for 2008.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
the official White House opinion that it's a "literary masterpiece," the purple prose of the excerpts gave me no desire to read it at all. However, you can download the entire thing from the White House directly, or you can buy a used copy for around $200 (yes, it's become a collector's item, though whether among conservatives, liberals, or lesbians, I'm not sure). I've read that it's neither especially scandalous nor especially well-written.

Admit it, you guys know it's true: if a Democratic VP's wife's book was being shilled on the President's website, you'd say he was cheapening the office.

Manu, maybe if Hillary really is gay, she'll have the balls to stand up to this lying, human-rights-abusing, stomp-the-poor administration. It's going to be a fun fight for 2008.

Mariner.

And replace it with a lying, hypocritical, tax-us-til-we-break, we're winning let's surrender, stomp-all-morals administration. What a deal. :cool:

I'm not sure what the exact purpose of the website is, but, IMO, the VPs wife plugging a book for a family member is inappropriate use, IF the website is used solely as an official website for the President.

I'm sure you know I was smiling as I wrote that little piece of let's-get-ready-for-2008 invective.

Morals? Hmm. I'm not sure most of the country is currently persuaded that Republicans represent the more moral party. Ambramoff, DeLay, Cunningham, Ney... On the other hand, I can hardly defend Clinton's morals.

Take a look at the link. It's the official website of the President of the United States.

Mariner.

I read through those excerpts. That was nothing but a sleazy, low, trashy novel. The summary on the back was appalling. Yeah, ALL men back then saw women as property or whores. Not one upstanding, protective, providing husband before 1920. :rolleyes:

Mariner said:
I'm sure you know I was smiling as I wrote that little piece of let's-get-ready-for-2008 invective.

Morals? Hmm. I'm not sure most of the country is currently persuaded that Republicans represent the more moral party. Ambramoff, DeLay, Cunningham, Ney... On the other hand, I can hardly defend Clinton's morals.

Take a look at the link. It's the official website of the President of the United States.

Mariner.

You mean you think the country is persuaded by the bright, neon-yellow journalism the leftist media spews about? Yeah, we bought into it so far that John Friggin' Kerry is President now. :laugh:

The immoral behavior of any Dem I would name is substantiated fact.

The names you have listed are supported by nothing but allegation to this point.

See the difference?

What about the most simple explanation...the www.whitehouse.gov site is not just a site to read about the administrations policy's or speeches...but also to learn a bit about the people currently serving as president and vicepresident and their wives.

We talk about Laura's life as a librarian...they have videos of the dogs running around the west wing at christmas time....so why not let us know that in addition to being the wife of a man pegged as evil and manipulative, and the mother to a lesbian...she is an accomplished woman in her own right, having done many interesting things...including writing what appears to be...a cheesy novel.

It humanizes her...as the videos of the dogs at Christmas humanizes the Bush's...whats wrong with that?

There are plenty of serious links on the White House site...you can look at all sorts of those links...and then, if it interests you, you can also choose to learn a bit about Lynn Cheney...

I guess I'm just missing what the big deal is...the woman wrote a book...I find that sort of interesting...the fact that it was a silly novel makes me like her more...at least she isn't a snob who takes herself too seriously.

Mariner said:

As far as I know, it's already happened. I'm quite sure Hilary used the site to promote something at one time or another. Frankly, I'm far more concerned about my tax dollars going to something like Planned Parenthood than I am about a 25 year old book being trumpeted on a website of any kind.

"Cheapening the office"? Dude.... Book on a website. Cigars in an intern. Nuff said?

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Nice try, but that is not the official "Presidents page". If you scroll all the way to the bottom and read very carefully you will soon find out that the web link you have provided is a parody provided by chickenhead.com. Either Mariner was also taken in or is deliberately being decietful. Guess which I think he is?

whitehouse.gov is the official site not whitehouse.org

With headlines like -
01.14.2006: President Pledges To Personally Hunt Down Sniveling Bureaucrat Who Spilled the Beans About Totally Legal Spying on Citizens: "See, sometimes you have to take away freedom in order to protect FREEDOM®. It's just that simple. So write that down and tell your mega-faggy editors back in New York City to put it in your shitbox broadsheets or on your stupid TV news shows which are nothing more than advertising filler. G'wan – do THAT!"

Idiot

:funnyface

CSM said:
Nice try, but that is not the official "Presidents page". If you scroll all the way to the bottom and read very carefully you will soon find out that the web link you have provided is a parody provided by chickenhead.com. Either Mariner was also taken in or is deliberately being decietful. Guess which I think he is?

cut the Doc(Mariner) some slack...he admitted to eating lead paint chips as a kid..... :D

archangel said:
cut the Doc(Mariner) some slack...he admitted to eating lead paint chips as a kid..... :D

It is about what I expect. Libs will say and do anything to discredit the current administration even to the extent of trying to pass off outright lies as truth. What I find disturbing is that some folks on this board were fooled into believing the site was genuine.

CSM said:
It is about what I expect. Libs will say and do anything to discredit the current administration even to the extent of trying to pass off outright lies as truth. What I find disturbing is that some folks on this board were fooled into believing the site was genuine.

I never went to the link because I just didn't care that much. Still don't.

Forum List

Back