Lynne Cheney's Literary Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mariner, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I was very surprised to see the official White House website plugging Lynne Cheney's wife's 1981 novel, which I haven't read, but which I've heard has a lesbian theme... ! I can just imagine conservative Muslims reading juicy excerpts provided on the website and saying, "See how decadent America is!"

http://www.whitehouse.org/administration/sisters.asp

I have no problem with Lynne Cheney writing anything she wants... but why would we want to promote it on the White House website?

Mariner.

2. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Because it's cute and makes us giggle.

Seriously: I don't know. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626

so you want gays to have the right to marray and be treat the same as any other couple....you have the wife of the vp of the united states of america promoting a book on the whitehouse website supporting a gay lifstyle....and you don't think that is appropriate because it might upset muslims.....

hole lee shyte .....

4. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    problem with her writing a novel about anything at all. I'm just curious what it's doing on the official website of the President of the United States, complete with excerpts concerning menstruation and early teenage sexuality. How exactly is that an appropriate use of some rather important web real estate?

I'd guess that conservative Christians and homopprobes (as Abbey Normal suggested calling them) would disapprove too. I mean, the Southern Baptist convention had been boycotting Disney (until it produced Narnia and canned a reality series in which homopprobic neighbors accept a gay couple). OCA, where are you?

I can't imagine that if Hillary Clinton wrote a lesbian-themed novel and advertised it on the Clinton White House website that this wouldn't immediately cause a sensation among conservatives... Can you?!

Sanjay

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    thanks for clearing that up...he is the pres it is his website he can do as he wishes....does it un-nerve you that a president ya'll have tagged a cristian zelot allowed this?...maybe ya'll have him pegged wrong.....hillary is a lesbian so for her to write a book about it wouldn't shock me......you never know she might get the chance to post it on her whitehouse website....

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Has anyone read it? Is it what was billed as scandalous?

7. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    the official White House opinion that it's a "literary masterpiece," the purple prose of the excerpts gave me no desire to read it at all. However, you can download the entire thing from the White House directly, or you can buy a used copy for around $200 (yes, it's become a collector's item, though whether among conservatives, liberals, or lesbians, I'm not sure). I've read that it's neither especially scandalous nor especially well-written.

Admit it, you guys know it's true: if a Democratic VP's wife's book was being shilled on the President's website, you'd say he was cheapening the office.

Manu, maybe if Hillary really is gay, she'll have the balls to stand up to this lying, human-rights-abusing, stomp-the-poor administration. It's going to be a fun fight for 2008.

Mariner.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And replace it with a lying, hypocritical, tax-us-til-we-break, we're winning let's surrender, stomp-all-morals administration. What a deal. :cool:

I'm not sure what the exact purpose of the website is, but, IMO, the VPs wife plugging a book for a family member is inappropriate use, IF the website is used solely as an official website for the President.

9. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm sure you know I was smiling as I wrote that little piece of let's-get-ready-for-2008 invective.

Morals? Hmm. I'm not sure most of the country is currently persuaded that Republicans represent the more moral party. Ambramoff, DeLay, Cunningham, Ney... On the other hand, I can hardly defend Clinton's morals.

Take a look at the link. It's the official website of the President of the United States.

Mariner.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I read through those excerpts. That was nothing but a sleazy, low, trashy novel. The summary on the back was appalling. Yeah, ALL men back then saw women as property or whores. Not one upstanding, protective, providing husband before 1920. :rolleyes: