Lying

Is it OK for politicians to lie?

Is it OK for your kids to lie?

If there is a difference in these answers, please explain.

Is it okay for anyone to lie or do we simply accept it because it is an inevible fact of human nature?

Your questions are rhetorical and therefore cannot be answered. The real question is "is it okay to lie?" The Bible says no, yet preachers lie. My ethics classes in law school said no, yet I practice with attorneys who have turned it into an art form. Everyone lies at one time or another. It is an involuntary action of human nature.

Now, what is a lie? Is an ommisson of truth or an opposite position of the truth? Is it an exaggeration? Is it a lie when it is used for good? Such as a military commander protecting a classified operation or a nurse telling a terminal patient that everything is going to be okay.

I'm not trying to belittle your question. Your question is simply too simple.

Depends? Since the left have no problem with Obama and any leftoid lying but have a problem with anyone not of the left saying anything that can be stretched into being claimed a lie I suggest you ask them.

no, it's not ok, it is not ethical, and ends up hurting someone, somewhere down the line... even if it seemed appropriate at the time, or the lesser of two evils at the time....

Lying causes damage.

But not all truths need to be known.

I work at a big bank. I am not telling you which one.

My bank has lots of famous customers. In the department I used to work I would see them doing transactions on a regular basis. I am not giving you any of their names.

You are not allowed to tell anything about any body what you know about anyone that they don't need to know.

Now, if you see a co worker going through someone else's purse or locker, that needs to get reported right away.

And it is often the case that what we see is only 1/4 of the story.

so gossip is almost always wrong.

Is it okay for anyone to lie or do we simply accept it because it is an inevible fact of human nature?

Your questions are rhetorical and therefore cannot be answered. The real question is "is it okay to lie?" The Bible says no, yet preachers lie. My ethics classes in law school said no, yet I practice with attorneys who have turned it into an art form. Everyone lies at one time or another. It is an involuntary action of human nature.

Now, what is a lie? Is an ommisson of truth or an opposite position of the truth? Is it an exaggeration? Is it a lie when it is used for good? Such as a military commander protecting a classified operation or a nurse telling a terminal patient that everything is going to be okay.

I'm not trying to belittle your question. Your question is simply too simple.

You are a lawyer? Please dont tell me you are?

God! I wouldnt want you to defend me!

There is nothing rhetorical about either question...... is it ok to lie ...is however much more rhetorical...your attempt at sounding intelligent was unsuccessful.

Answer to both questions is yes.

Also who gives a F what the Bible says?? Why do americans always bring this book into things? Why not Harry Potter or Ulysses? Why the Bible?

When a child names his toes, it's charming.

When Grampa does it, it's a tragedy!

You are a lawyer? Please dont tell me you are?

God! I wouldnt want you to defend me!

There is nothing rhetorical about either question...... is it ok to lie ...is however much more rhetorical...your attempt at sounding intelligent was unsuccessful.

Answer to both questions is yes.

Also who gives a F what the Bible says?? Why do americans always bring this book into things? Why not Harry Potter or Ulysses? Why the Bible?

does harry potter or ulysses have a code of ethics in it? lol

you're a little too wound up on that outburst MC, in my opinion....

and, the answer to both questions of cali is NO imo! :D

I think one can be honest and ethical without giving away one's secrets, so I'd say no not absolute truth if by that you mean spill all the beans.

But it seems that whether we're talking about politicians or anyone else in society, the standards for telling an out and out lie should be the same. Lying is deceitful, it deceives.

So absolute truth is the answer?
unless you have a job that involves the secrecy or are a covert operative etc, yes, the truth is always the answer and it will always set you free.... with very few exceptions... in my opinion.

You are a lawyer? Please dont tell me you are??
Yes, I am an attorney, as it has been stated on many occasions.
God! I wouldnt want you to defend me!?
Who said I was defense attorney?

There is nothing rhetorical about either question...... is it ok to lie ...is however much more rhetorical...your attempt at sounding intelligent was unsuccessful.?
Is possible for you to follow a thought. If the question, "Is it okay to lie?" is rhetorical, then asking if a politician can lie is also rhetorical. Whether or not it is okay for children to lie falls into the opinions of the parents. Whether or not it is okay for politicians to lie falls into the opinions of his/her constituients. Since there woyuld be varying degrees of opinions, no one answer could be considered correct. Therefore it cannot be answered. That is the point.
Answer to both questions is yes.?
If that is your opinion.

About 33% percent of the World cares what the Bible says. Besides, I was merely using it as an example of something would position against lying, since many form their life opinions on it. Remind me, how in the world are worsippers of Ullyses? Thought so.

Class dismissed.

unless you have a job that involves the secrecy or are a covert operative etc, yes, the truth is always the answer and it will always set you free.... with very few exceptions... in my opinion.

What happens when your code of secrecy contradicts your code ethics? For example, a police officer questions me about a client, I am of course bound by attorney/client privelage, but could provide evidence against the client. The officer asks a direct question which I refuse to answer, is it a lie? I know I'm protected, under the law, but would still feel guilty as hell. If it is not a lie, why would I feel guilty?

What happens when your code of secrecy contradicts your code ethics? For example, a police officer questions me about a client, I am of course bound by attorney/client privelage, but could provide evidence against the client. The officer asks a direct question which I refuse to answer, is it a lie? I know I'm protected, under the law, but would still feel guilty as hell. If it is not a lie, why would I feel guilty?
your profession requires you to represent your client, with privacy privilege...which on the ''WHOLE'' ..... justice for all.

drop your client, if you do not feel you can ethically do that....there are options that u can take that should rid you of your guilty feelings!!!!

your profession requires you to represent your client, with privacy privilege...which on the ''WHOLE'' ..... justice for all.

drop your client, if you do not feel you can ethically do that....there are options that u can take that should rid you of your guilty feelings!!!!

Dropping your client is not always an option. The question was hypothetical anyway. The idea is that there are always going to be instances where you have the oppurtunity to lie. The choice you make determoines who you are. What type of person you are. Choosing to lie is not always the wrong choice. There are instance where telling the truth can do more damage.

I think one can be honest and ethical without giving away one's secrets, so I'd say no not absolute truth if by that you mean spill all the beans.

But it seems that whether we're talking about politicians or anyone else in society, the standards for telling an out and out lie should be the same. Lying is deceitful, it deceives.

Yes it does, but how does telling an out and out lie differ morally from telling a white lie, or simply omitting the truth?

I agree with you, I am one of those that chooses not to lie. However I do not immediatly judge someone for lying without all of the facts. There could possibly be a very reasonable reason for the lie.

Dropping your client is not always an option. The question was hypothetical anyway. The idea is that there are always going to be instances where you have the oppurtunity to lie. The choice you make determoines who you are. What type of person you are. Choosing to lie is not always the wrong choice. There are instance where telling the truth can do more damage.
yes, thus ,my disclaimer of, ''with very few exceptions'' in my post above:D

Forum List

Back