Lying Polls

Leo123

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2017
Why do polls always include "I don't know" or "no opinion"......To me, a poll should ask yes or no questions. Sample: Will you vote for Trump? Yes or No....

We don't need people who can't make up their minds.

That you don’t like how poll questions are composed or how people respond to those questions doesn’t mean the polls are ‘lying.’

If they purport to show a trend of favorable or unfavorable they certainly are if they include IDK.

Why do polls always include "I don't know" or "no opinion"......To me, a poll should ask yes or no questions. Sample: Will you vote for Trump? Yes or No.... We don't need people who can't make up their minds.
There are people who don't obediently vote for a candidate simply based on the letter after the candidate's name.

There are people who are curious and open to ideas, wherever they may come from.

There are people who honestly weigh the pros and cons of individual issues and carefully look at the candidates' slate of positions as a whole.

These people put intellectual effort into their voting decisions and can't possibly have a final decision made this early in the process.

True story.

Why do polls always include "I don't know" or "no opinion"......To me, a poll should ask yes or no questions. Sample: Will you vote for Trump? Yes or No.... We don't need people who can't make up their minds.
There are people who don't obediently vote for a candidate simply based on the letter after the candidate's name.

There are people who are curious and open to ideas, wherever they may come from.

There are people who honestly weigh the pros and cons of individual issues and carefully look at the candidates' slate of positions as a whole.

These people put intellectual effort into their voting decisions and can't possibly have a final decision made this early in the process.

True story.

Then why would one poll them in a head to head race? True poll: Will you vote for A or B? There is no category for "intellectual effort."

True story.

Then why would one poll them in a head to head race? True poll: Will you vote for A or B? There is no category for "intellectual effort."
Because many people haven't made up their mind. So they might say "no opinion" or "I don't know".

Ask them at some point closer to the election, they'll probably have an answer. They're not required to have a final decision made until they make a selection in the polling both.

Not quite sure why this needs to be such a mystery.

True story.

Because many people haven't made up their mind. So they might say "no opinion" or "I don't know".

Ask them at some point closer to the election, they'll probably have an answer. They're not required to have a final decision made until they make a selection in the polling both.

It usually means they're ashamed of their answers.

That's my point, if you're going to provide a category for 'no opinion' or 'I don't know' then announcing that one candidate is either ahead or behind is disingenuous.

Why do polls always include "I don't know" or "no opinion"......To me, a poll should ask yes or no questions. Sample: Will you vote for Trump? Yes or No....

We don't need people who can't make up their minds.

Because it's not simply a yes or no question. I am not inclined to vote for Trump, but if Bernie Sanders is the Democratic nominee I will definitely vote for Trump. I'm starting to feel that way about Warren as well since she is becoming She-Bernie. If Andrew Yang is the nominee I will definitely vote for Yang. If any of the other Democrats are the nominee I will probably vote third party.

That's my point, if you're going to provide a category for 'no opinion' or 'I don't know' then announcing that one candidate is either ahead or behind is disingenuous.
Oh, I see.

Yeah, they could make that more clear. Include an "I haven't decided yet" answer, and make sure it's reported with the other responses.

I'd think THAT number is as important as any other number.

Forum List

Back