Lying is usually a sin, but I once told my children that sometimes you have to lie...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...and it's not a sin.

I mentioned the scene from Sound of Music, when the family went to the convent to hide from the Nazis.

I told my children, if the Nazis asked the nuns: "Is the family here?" they would have to lie to avoid committing a greater sin.

A psychiatrist, Dr. Brown, is at a party and meets a friend, Mr. Black. Mr. Black asks Dr. Brown, "Is Mr. White a patient of yours?"

The ethical rules that bind all psychiatrists require Dr. Brown to lie, and say: "No, Mr. White is not my patient."

And that is not a sin.

During times of war, the leader of a country and his generals have to lie about troop movements and battle plans to prevent disaster to the troops.

This kind of lying is not a sin.

When you tell your girlfriend that she doesn't look fat in that dress, that kind of lie isn't a sin either.

The fact is, the commandment states that one shall not "bear false witness against your neighbor."

At the minimum, the commandment means that if your neighbor is accused of a crime he did not commit, you cannot lie under oath in court and give false testimony against him.

But all kinds of lying is allowed.

A psychiatrist, Dr. Brown, is at a party and meets a friend, Mr. Black. Mr. Black asks Dr. Brown, "Is Mr. White a patient of yours?"

The ethical rules that bind all psychiatrists require Dr. Brown to lie, and say: "No, Mr. White is not my patient."

And that is not a sin.
And why isn't indicating that he (Dr. Brown) can not violate physician/patient confidentiality by even acknowledging if someone is a patient of his or not, a more appropriate and truthful answer thereby not lying at all?

Absolute honesty isn't always the most diplomatic nor the safest form of communication with emotional beings. - TARS

And that is not a sin.
And why isn't indicating that he (Dr. Brown) can not violate physician/patient confidentiality by even acknowledging if someone is a patient of his or not, a more appropriate and truthful answer thereby not lying at all?
I can't answer that question, I only know that a psychiatrist is required to lie and say Mr. White is not his patient. And I assume he must make a real effort to make Mr. Black believe it.

You have no idea how devastating the damage to a man's reputation, career and home life could occur if it became public knowledge that he was under the care of a psychiatrist.

And that is not a sin.
I can't answer that question, I only know that a psychiatrist is required to lie and say Mr. White is not his patient. And I assume he must make a real effort to make Mr. Black believe it.

You have no idea how devastating the damage to a man's reputation, career and home life could occur if it became public knowledge that he was under the care of a psychiatrist.
Can you provide me with a link to the law in any state or at least the state you're familiar with that requires a doctor of psychiatry to lie about who his patients are. Or any doctor to lie about who their patients are.

If it's not a criminal or civil statute, then is it an administrative code/rule or from a code of ethics or something? I know there are privileded relationships between certain people -spouses, priests/confessors, doctor/patient, attorney/client, etc. but they generally deal with non-disclosure, not manufacturing false information.

And that is not a sin.

Can you provide me with a link to the law in any state or at least the state you're familiar with that requires a doctor of psychiatry to lie about who his patients are. Or any doctor to lie about who their patients are.

If it's not a criminal or civil statute, then is it an administrative code/rule or from a code of ethics or something? I know there are privileded relationships between certain people -spouses, priests/confessors, doctor/patient, attorney/client, etc. but they generally deal with non-disclosure, not manufacturing false information.
I couldn't find it, sorry.

Emmanuel Kant maintain that lying in any situation is morally wrong as it negates human dignity and robs the recipient of the opportunity to make the correct moral choice.

"Because the night always lie to others: even if does not harm another man, it hurts humanity in general and it makes vain the source of law"

Lying is a fucking sin! Repent! You are going to hell!

"so u kno i aint worried...BEEYOTCH!!!"

...and it's not a sin.

I mentioned the scene from Sound of Music, when the family went to the convent to hide from the Nazis.

I told my children, if the Nazis asked the nuns: "Is the family here?" they would have to lie to avoid committing a greater sin.
Everyone can come up with a scenario where not telling the absolute truth could be harmful to another human. But what's your point? Are you trying to convince anyone, including yourself, that the lies emanating from our leadership and it's entire staff are reasonable? That unnecessary lies, like say ..about weather forecasts and the subsequent threats at cover up, are meaningless?

And that is not a sin.

Wrong again dumb ass.

Emmanuel Kant maintain that lying in any situation is morally wrong as it negates human dignity and robs the recipient of the opportunity to make the correct moral choice.

"Because the night always lie to others: even if does not harm another man, it hurts humanity in general and it makes vain the source of law"
I Kan't resist...

Forum List

Back