LWOP and One Strike for Sexual Abuse

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    There's a petition drive in California to install Life Without Parole after a single conviction for sexual abuse of a child. It's not hard to understand the frustration and fear driving this...but is it a good idea?

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I really have no issue with that.

Of course, there would have to be protections for the defendants at a level you see for capital cases. You don't want to see any more show trials like the Ameralt story in MA.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Depends on the abuse.

4. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I would say that our experiences in the past with enacting 'blanket' type sentencing rules for a catagory of crimes has shown that these kind of rules don't always work as planned, and always have unintended consequences.

While the sexual abuse of children is deplorable and offenders should face the toughest penalties imaginable, there are laws on the books to deal with this issue.

This is a knee-jerk reaction to a series of crimes that could have been prevented if the criminal justice system had worked properly in the past. If our system of courts won't enforce the laws already in place, why should we expect them to enforce any new ones that are enacted?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Read the linky poo in my sig line (if you can stomach the whole thing).

I knew Lori Ann Smith. She's been dead 36 years---since 1974. Her killer is still alive. He's in his 50's now. She got 8 short years on this earth. He got 50+

Read what this monster did to Lori and tell me if I'm just "fear mongering" when I say her killer should have been dead YEARS ago, and yet he is entitled to beg for mercy, beg for his life and beg to be spared. Things he didn't bother to give Lori.

Yeah. "Fear". Sure. :rolleyes:

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,998
    This.

If this type of law is passed you are going to have to make sure it covers true child abuse, not the 17 year old consensually sleeping with his 15 year old girlfriend. That may still technically be criminal, but doesnt warrant life without parole.

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I have to agree with SJ and MartyB.

Life without parole for true sexual abuse of a minor (heck even an adult) does not bother me, but then I have a problem with "hard and fast rules" like if a kid sees a homeless man's private parts while he is peeing in the park, that is considered sexual abuse of a minor and the homeless man gets life in prison! Or an eighteen year old who has been dating a young woman who is only 16 for two years and they are sexually active, now he is considered a sexual predator for life and if this were to pass, he could spend life in prison?

If you are talking about real sexual predators, I'm okay with that, but mandatory sentencing under all circumstances bothers me.

Immie

8. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Yes, I did read your link some time ago, when I first noticed it. I agree, deplorable.

However, if the courts will not enforce the laws on the books, that would have given this monster the death penalty, then what good will passing more laws do?

9. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    People seem very hesitant to kill mudering pedophiles, but they seem very comfortable with letting them live forever in prision. My guess is that LWOP would be enforced, where DP would not.

You make my point so well....thank you.

10. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I'm talking about the shitheads like the guy in my link. I don't know what anyone else is talking about.