Lung and skin cancer's DNA mapped

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Chris, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    LONDON, Dec. 16, 2009 (Reuters) — Scientists have indentified all the changes in cells of two deadly cancers to produce the first entire cancer gene maps and say the findings mark a "transforming moment" in their understanding of the disease.

The studies by international scientists and Britain's Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute are the first comprehensive descriptions of tumour cell mutations and lay bare all the genetic changes behind melanoma skin cancer and lung cancer.

"What we are seeing today is going to transform the way that we see cancer," Mike Stratton of the Sanger Institute's cancer genome project told a briefing in London. "We have never seen cancer revealed in this form before."

The scientists sequenced all the DNA from both tumour tissue and normal tissue from a melanoma patient and a lung cancer patient using a technology called massively parallel sequencing. By comparing the cancer sequences with the healthy ones, they were able to pick up all the changes specific to cancer.

The lung tumour carried more than 23,000 mutations and the melanoma had more than 33,000.

Peter Campbell, also of the Sanger Institute, said the lung cancer study suggests a typical smoker develops one mutation for every 15 cigarettes smoked and the damage starts with the first puff. Lung cancer kills around 1 million people worldwide each year and 90 percent of cases are caused by smoking.

NewsDaily: Gene maps to transform scientists' work on cancer

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Which ones? There are several different skin cancers and several different lung cancers.

3. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Frankly, that last line is just bullshit. It might average to 15, but if one has not developed a tumor yet for the mutations to occur in then they can't occur from the first puff now can they?

4. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    After 345,000 cigarettes (31 years at a pack and a half a day) you would have a tumor? Not always the case as everyone's physiology is different.

On the other hand though this is good news as now new treatments can be developed to interrupt or stop these mutations.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    Gene mutations.

6. Cold Fusion38

Cold Fusion38 SUPER GENIUS

Thanks Received:
    In the desert chasing that damn roadrunner.
    Ratings:
    +307

It's GREAT news. As you know I quit recently but my wife hasn't. I want her to and she knows it but she has to want to quit for herself and not for me. I REALLY want her to quit I hope she does.

7. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,031
    Cool

A friend of mine is a professor of organic chemistry who has patented a treatment for different cancers, but he works with some of the foremost minds in cancer research. It is his opinion that within a generation or two, cancer will be either curable or treatable.

That's good news obviously, since most of us are going to die from cancer or cardiovascular disease.

8. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,772

thing is, some cancers are already curable, and a lot are treatable. but there are some real-asshole, masquerading, devious bastard cancers, and i don't think a cure for them will be found that soon. does not help of course that a lot of those kind of cancers are rare compared to let's say lung cancer or prostate cancer.

9. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    They compared the dna of a tumor with that of the individual and implied that the tumor had mutations. If the person had experienced the same number of mutations then the difference between the two would have been 0.

10. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    Gene mutations.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1