Lucid Dreaming........

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sunshine, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Lucid dream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was a child, long before I knew there was anything scientific about this, I learned I could control my own nightmares. Or at least I could wake myself from them. I would realize I was in a nightmare and force my eyelids open. The scenes continued for a bit, and then stopped. I have been able to willfully dream about certain things, and to control the content and outcome of dreams.

What are your experiences with this? Studies have also shown that when we dream our minds have incorporated the techniques of cinematography. Those of us who grew up with black and white TV, dream in black and white. Our dreams in color are symbolic. We zoom in and out, fade and do all the things a TV or movie camera does.

Stories?

2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Very cool topic. I just finished a five week course on Dream interpretation with psychologist and philospher Eugene Gendlin and Ann Weiser Cornell.

Tibetan Buddhists teach "Dream Yoga", a form of meditation that teaches lucid dreaming. The whole point is to begin to see that the dream life and "waking" life are the same.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Wonderful! I look forward to your contributions to this thread!

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Gene Gendlin uses sixteen different questions to help people mine the treasure from their dreams.

Each question you "take down" into your being and let the meaning unfold. I could post Gene's questions if you think it would help.

I can't share the Buddhist teaching on Dream Yoga. You have to get authorization from a Buddhist Lama.

5. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    My friends tell me I am the best they have ever seen at making what I want in life 'materialize' through visualization. I have read a lot of the Rosicrucian books about this, and what they teach is basically what I do. I was taught to plan for things through the 5 senses. And I have often visualized a thing or accomplishment that way up to and including the feel and smell of success.

The woman who recruited me to Vanderbilt for the master's kept telling me that I was practicing at that level, but I needed to get the piece of paper. I had two dreams. One was of me playing a piano improvising with the music because I couldn't really read the notes. But then suddenly I would be able to read the notes and play the music from the musical theory presented on the page. The other was somewhat frightful. I dreamt that I was walking up a flight of stairs and tripped on the top step!~ That one is telling of the fear I had, what with taking such a risk and having children to support at the same time.

The first time I ever dreamt of my children as adults was after my daughter married. She was 30 and my son was 33. And for weeks I dreamt I was back at their reception party!

6. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Whatever you can post would be interesting, I'm sure. Didn't know there was such a thing a Dream Yoga. Will look into it.

7. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I've experienced lucid dreaming for years. That's not to say that most of my dreams are lucid, in fact, most are not. But, there are times when I am aware that I am dreaming, and at that moment I can influence the content and outcomes of dreams.

My dreams have always been in color and I grew up without a TV in the house until I was 17.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Lama Tsering Everest, a western student of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche, teaches Dream Yoga all over the world.

She's coming to live in my community for the next year.

9. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Now, I dream more in color than I did when I was younger. Most of my generation find it odd to dream in color, though.

10. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,477
    I wonder why that is.

Almost all of my dreams are in color and very often lucid.

My Dad told me when I was having recurring nightmares that I need to just realize that these things that cannot actually be real are just imaginary and part of a dream, and that once I realized that I could control what happened, like imagining finding a magic sword behind a tree, etc.

It worked quite well.

But now my nightmares tend to be about real world situations like getting laid off, or learning my mother died, that sort of thing.

Magic swords dont exactly help with that. lol