Lpga

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Okay, I just returned from watching an LPGA tournament at the country club that I belong to (it was the Takefuji Classic) and I must admit, it was fun. The weather is beautiful and so that made it all the better. Now, the funny thing is, the girl that won the thing won it at something like 15 under, yet Natalie Gulbis, who finished at around 6 under (I don't recall the final results and they aren't posted anywhere that I can find - yet). Anyway, when Gulbis was finished, the media crowded around her like white on rice. I wonder if it is because she is HOT!?! :laugh: :tng:

Natalie_Gulbis.jpg

1403812578.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

37438Gulbis8x10.jpg

Ms. Gulbis is a looker!!!

Hopefully not the same thing as Anna Kournikova....all falsh and no substance....

I think she is a great player, but Michelle Wie is going to be the best golfer (male or femaile) that any of us alive today will witness! (and Annika is not going to take that too well, either)

Fmr jarhead said:
Ms. Gulbis is a looker!!!

Hopefully not the same thing as Anna Kournikova....all falsh and no substance....

I think she is a great player, but Michelle Wie is going to be the best golfer (male or femaile) that any of us alive today will witness! (and Annika is not going to take that too well, either)

I agree. Today the club's course record was set (record for a woman) by Shi Hyun Ahn, who shot a 63 to finish tied for third at 13 under.

A young up and comer to watch is amateur In-Bee Park. She finished fifth today, but considering she is an amateur and only 16 (and goes to HS here in Vegas), that's pretty good!

I don't think Gulbis is another Anna, although she isn't Wie either. I agree, Wie is damn good and unless something happens, she will be the best golfer anybody has seen to date.

Now, having said that, I was talking to a guy I know today that used to be the president of the PGA and he was telling me, the game is sooooooooooo different now (not just the style, but equipment, etc.) that like in almost any sport, it is really hard to compare people playing today to those playing, say, just 20 years ago, much less those playing 50 years ago.

I agree acompletely...equipment makes a big difference, but also the training regimine that some of these parents put their kids through is absolutely detestible. There are a great number of Korean kids who have come to the game with parents that make the "tennis moms and dads" o0f the 80's look mild by comparison.

The kids have no social skills, and their parents are guilty of child abuse, in my opinion....

Michelle Wie is not one of those kids, though...she will be a great player...

I think Bobby Jones could play with anyone today, and keep up (with modern clubs and balls).

It is a great game played mostly in the mind, in my opinion.

Fmr jarhead said:
PS...my favorite course in Vegas is Bear's Best.....there are others...but that is the tops for me!

It is just up the road from me. I have played there before, but that was right after it opened. I have played lots of the courses here, but you're right, it is one of the best. Escpecially the views!

Have you played it? It is EXPENSIVE and you have to have a forecaddie which I don't like because I am out just for a casual time and I hate feeling like somebody is looking over my shoulder!

Fmr jarhead said:
There are a great number of Korean kids who have come to the game with parents that make the "tennis moms and dads" of the 80's look mild by comparison.

The kids have no social skills, and their parents are guilty of child abuse, in my opinion....

Funny (well, not, but you get what I mean) that you mention this. My wife is Korean and we have been going to the course every day this week to watch although today is the only day we watched the entire thing. Anyway, we were just commenting on the same thing. A couple of days ago, one of the girls that ended up not making the cut, was arguing with her dad (her caddie too) on 9 as he felt the green was going to cut one way and she another. She finally did what he wanted and, of course, it cut her way so she missed. She was sooooooo mad. Then today, as we were leaving, Kim (I will leave it at that - doesn't give it away :laugh:) was in the parking lot crying cuz her father was berating her in public out in the lot, grabbing her by the arm, yanking her, etc. He then yelled at security to "stay out of it, this is a family matter". I asked my wife what he was saying to her in Korean, and he she said he was giving her a hard time telling her she didn't concentrate good enough, that he was ashamed of her, that her family had put up money for her to play there and she blew it. It was really, really sad. I wanted to go punch the dude. Frankly, that is very typical of that culture though. They even do that to their kids in regards to junior high, high school and college entrance exams. It is sad that a culture can put so much pressure on their kids and they think it is not only acceptable, but the norm.

I have played there about a dozen times (when I come to town...for business!)

I don't mind the caddies...since they know the real deal with where the pins are set, and how the greens are running...it is nice to have an expepert set of eyes with from time to time....

I have also played Las Vegas National a couple times, and Paiute, too....all business related.

I enjoy a good round of golf, even though I am a hack! Next time I come to town...maybe we should hook up for a round of golf and Gordon Biersch!

Fmr jarhead said:
I have played there about a dozen times (when I come to town...for business!)

I don't mind the caddies...since they know the real deal with where the pins are set, and how the greens are running...it is nice to have an expepert set of eyes with from time to time....

I have also played Las Vegas National a couple times, and Paiute, too....all business related.

I enjoy a good round of golf, even though I am a hack! Next time I come to town...maybe we should hook up for a round of golf and Gordon Biersch!

Sounds great to me! I belong to the Las Vegas Country Club (right behind the Hilton and the Convention Center - AND right by Gordan Biersch!). I don't play enough to be very good, but I love the game. My poor play is probably why I don't like the forecaddies! :laugh: I am too embarrassed!

I'll PM you my email address and cell number. Do you get here often?

What kind of biz are you in? You ain't work'n out at 51 are ya? :laugh:

Yeah, I work at 51...we do the new updated versions of Sasquatch!!!! lol

I work in the entertainment business....but that is another story, altogether....

Several times a year, I am out there....I'd be happy to give you a ring...

Last time I stayed at the new Marriott Renaissance...no gambling, and right next to the convention center...it was a nice and peaceful trip. I think I will stay there again, the next time out, too.

Forum List

Back