Lowest jobless claims since Clinton

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
WASHINGTON – The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits dropped for the third consecutive week last week, pushing jobless claims to the lowest level in more than three years.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of laid-off workers seeking jobless benefits fell by 6,000 last week to 336,000, a level that was last seen the week of Jan. 13, 2001, just before Bill Clinton relinquished the White House to George W. Bush.

In other economic news, the government said inflation at the wholesale level jumped by 0.6 percent in January, the biggest increase in three months. That reflected in part the largest jump in energy prices since last March at the start of the Iraq war. Outside of the volatile food and energy categories, the Producer Price Index rose a more moderate 0.3 percent.

The release of the PPI report for January was a month late as the Labor Department struggled to overcome difficulties in converting to a new classification system for the products it tracks for price changes.

The third straight weekly decline in jobless benefits raised hopes that a lengthy stretch of layoffs is coming to a close, setting the stage for businesses to finally begin rehiring laid-off workers.

The drop of 6,000 in the number of Americans filing unemployment benefits caught analysts by surprise. They had been expecting a slight increase after two weekly declines.

The drop left the four-week moving average of claims at 344,000, the lowest level for this barometer of the labor market since Jan. 27, 2001.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/3/18/91200.shtml

Wow, jobless claims are down, unemployment is down, inflation is down... looks like a bad trend for Democrats, who are hoping to translate a bad economy into wins in November.

I'm still hearing stories about how the 'market' is cautiously watching the job market for an eventual strong recovery. I'm not sure how they determine that to mean the other factors are a good sign or not.

It's also a wonder how home construction and mortgage's are up yet I'm seeing more and more 'for sale' signs hitting the front yards.

Some more 'wait a bit longer' scenario?

those jobles claims don't include ppl who have been out of work for 6 months or less.

my bad...jobless people who are out of work for 6 months or more aren't counted towards the unemployment rate. i got it backwards. So only people who have been out of work 6 months or less are counted in the total.

Originally posted by deciophobic
my bad...jobless people who are out of work for 6 months or more aren't counted towards the unemployment rate. i got it backwards. So only people who have been out of work 6 months or less are counted in the total.

I'm not discounting what you've said, but.... Source?

I don't have a source, I just know that's the way it is. This time.

My cousin has been unemployed for 7 months now, but she isn't counted as unemployed anymore, however, she was before last month.

I'm sure you could find a source somewhere.

I'm sure you could find a source somewhere.

I'm sorry, YOU made the claims, and YOU should be the one to backup those claims.

You claim this as fact, it should be easy for you to provide the data.

nope, and I don't remember seeing anything about them. If you're ACTIVELY looking for work, you're counted. If you've given up and are just sitting at home, you're not counted. I think thats how it is

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
nope, and I don't remember seeing anything about them. If you're ACTIVELY looking for work, you're counted. If you've given up and are just sitting at home, you're not counted. I think thats how it is

That's more or less the way I figured it to. He could possibly know more than we do, bit it sounds odd. If so, I'd like to read it with my own eyes,

she has been actively looking for work.

Sorry, I just can't take your word on this one regarding what data they use. I'll happily retract that if you find a source to back it up.

yeah, after six months of unemployment if you aren't "actively" looking for a job you aren't counted as unemployed, even though you are.

but i am dead serious, she has been looking for a job ever since she was laid off and she has told me on several occasions that she isn't counted as unemployed (cuz she's pissed about that). i don't know, somethin screwy is goin on, i'll get back to ya on this.

yeah, after six months of unemployment if you aren't "actively" looking for a job you aren't counted as unemployed, even though you are.

I still don't see a source...

But let me ask this, why should the government care about unemployed people that aren't looking for jobs?

well because most people have been looking for jobs, and not finding one have simply given up. That doesn't mean they haven't been trying.

Forum List

Back