Lower tax rates anyone?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by auditor0007, Aug 19, 2009.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Top 400 taxpayers in the U.S. pay a 17 percent tax rate

Peter Cohan
    Aug 17th 2009 at 6:30PM

Oh wealthy people! How great it must be to know that while you are raking in about a quarter billion a year, you pay a lower tax rate than the average American family.

And even better news -- thanks to the Crazy Channel which does such a great job of making your interests popular with the angry mob, hundreds of those averagely paid Americans will defend your right to pay lower taxes than they do.

It pays to be among the top 400 taxpayers who earned roughly $250 million on average in 2005. According to an analysis by the New York Times and David Cay Johnston for Tax Notes (subscription only), the last IRS report on the top 400 taxpayers showed that they made a little more than a penny of each dollar of total income in America, but paid income taxes at a 17.2 percent rate. Add in payroll taxes, and the figure still rounds to 17.2 percent. Those top 400 paid a tax rate roughly half that of a family making $75,000 a year -- which was 37 percent -- 25 percent for the income tax rate and 12 percent for payroll tax.

Top 400 taxpayers in the U.S. pay a 17 percent tax rate -- DailyFinance

I have always defended lower taxes for the wealthy and everyone in general. However, when I see this, I become infuriated with everyone who defends lower taxes for the wealthy. But the really stupid thing is that calls for raising taxes on these people will do no good, because raising their rates won't change anything as they will still find ways to avoid paying. If there ever was a need for a flat tax with no deductions, here is the proof.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,680
    they pay 17% more than those who pay zero don't they?

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    There is not enough information here for me to make a judgement whether this is okay or not. I'd have to see their tax returns.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I share your agnst but FLAT taxes won't fix it either.

At least I have never seen a plan that was really going to work.

Certainly that silverspoonfed nitwit Steve Forbes ' plan wasn't the solution.

5. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    It's one thing to defend the wealthy from paying ridiculously high taxes, but it shows a true brainwashed mentality to defend them paying less than the medium income family Willow. Please give us your argument why the wealthiest of the wealthy should pay a lower rate than the average middle class family trying to support a family and get the kids through college.

There is a reason the disparity in wealth has become so great over the last thirty years, and this just helps prove the point.

6. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    A workable flat tax would need to cover all sources of income including capital gains and estate taxes.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    A good start would be that the 6.2 that I pay on SS be paid on all income. That would immediatly make the system solvent for the foreseeable future.

8. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Gonna be fun to watch you shit your Depends when the monetary system unravels! :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Well Doooooode........ I will shortly be living in an area where most of the people that are around me had parents and grandparents that knew my parents and grandparents. A very rural area where self sufficiency is the rule rather than the exception. Yes, should we enter the Second Great Republican Depression, then I will be affected, as will everyone else. But I will have access to the basics of life where people like you will not. And the knowledge to use those basics.

10. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    When did Clinton become a republican you stupid cocksucker? Does clinton's semen taste the same as Gores?