Lower jobless claims again....is anyone still falling for this shit?

I think its a good trend. Doesn't tell but a little part of the story though.

FoxNews.com - Number of Weekly Jobless Claims Falls to Lowest Level in Nearly 3 Years

Seriously.....does anyone think the economy is improving, and is anyone still unaware of the fact that the numbers drop because hundreds of thousands fall off the benefits each month?

How would people falling off of benefits affect NEW claims?

As for falling off affecting continuing claims, the data for extended benefits is 2 weeks behind the count of initial claims, so we can't tell yet. Tomorrow, the total unemployment numbers (not just UI claims) for February will be released so we'll see what the changes from mid-January to mid-February were.

As for your claim that the reason the numbers drop because of people falling off, I'd like to see your evidence because as far as I know there is no data available to say why anyone is no longer collecting benefits (and again that wouldn't affect new claims anyway).

Contrary evidence is that the Insured unemployment rate (% of people covered by unemployment receiving it) has been steadily dropping and is now at 3% compared to 4.9% in June 2009.

My son was hired back as an Architect last week after being laid off for a year

Starting to see some rebound in building and remodelling jobs

Hey...its a start

My son was hired back as an Architect last week after being laid off for a year

Starting to see some rebound in building and remodelling jobs

Hey...its a start
It's the "L" shaped recovery that most were afraid of with 10% unemployment being the "new normal", like in Europe.

Plus, Obama needs a "V" shaped recovery to pay for ObamaCare, remember that.

An L shaped recovery is highly prone to even further downtruns.

An L shaped recovery isn't even a recovery.

But private sector hiring is making a modest rebound. At least for now. Since our economic growth has been driven by wars, credit bubbles and other ponzi like schemes since at least 1913 one has to wonder if our economy was ever viable. In some ways it looks as if what we call capitalism has been proven utterly bogus.

Even the basic capitalist equation is a kind of ponzi like scheme: invest money today to stimulate growth tomorrow. Never mind the fact that future demand must be financed with even more leverage.

I fear our economics are based on a bankrupt illusion and we lack the will to allow ourselves to see it.

I like a "K" shaped recovery! Why not a Z shaped one? Why only L's or V's?? This is discriminatory towards the other letters!

Seriously, we are in a "O"-bama shaped recovery. Unless a business absolutely must have a new employee, they are not hiring. There is simply too much uncertainty.....Obama is the new Jimmy Carter.

An L shaped recovery is highly prone to even further downtruns.

An L shaped recovery isn't even a recovery.

But private sector hiring is making a modest rebound. At least for now. Since our economic growth has been driven by wars, credit bubbles and other ponzi like schemes since at least 1913 one has to wonder if our economy was ever viable. In some ways it looks as if what we call capitalism has been proven utterly bogus.

Even the basic capitalist equation is a kind of ponzi like scheme: invest money today to stimulate growth tomorrow. Never mind the fact that future demand must be financed with even more leverage.

I fear our economics are based on a bankrupt illusion and we lack the will to allow ourselves to see it.

Now, the entrepreneur has to climb a government like Mt Everest to make it.

Last edited:
FoxNews.com - Number of Weekly Jobless Claims Falls to Lowest Level in Nearly 3 Years

Seriously.....does anyone think the economy is improving, and is anyone still unaware of the fact that the numbers drop because hundreds of thousands fall off the benefits each month?

How would people falling off of benefits affect NEW claims?

As for falling off affecting continuing claims, the data for extended benefits is 2 weeks behind the count of initial claims, so we can't tell yet. Tomorrow, the total unemployment numbers (not just UI claims) for February will be released so we'll see what the changes from mid-January to mid-February were.

As for your claim that the reason the numbers drop because of people falling off, I'd like to see your evidence because as far as I know there is no data available to say why anyone is no longer collecting benefits (and again that wouldn't affect new claims anyway).

Contrary evidence is that the Insured unemployment rate (% of people covered by unemployment receiving it) has been steadily dropping and is now at 3% compared to 4.9% in June 2009.

Those that don't get what's going on:

Layoffs At Pre-Recession Level; Job Openings Down 30% - Investors.com

Layoffs At Pre-Recession Level; Job Openings Down 30%

By SCOTT STODDARD, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 03/02/2011 06:50 PM ET

View Enlarged Image

Twenty months after the worst recession in decades, job creation remains anemic, weighing on economic growth and making it even harder for the long-term jobless to find work.

Don't blame layoffs. They spiked in 2009 but have returned to pre-slump levels, according to Labor Department data. But job openings remain 30% below their level when the downturn hit in December 2007. Gross hiring is down by 843,000 jobs...

Let's see...

Last year, all the employment gains were attributed to the census
Then it was government hiring
Now we get the people dropping out of the job market justification

The Obama must fail crew can't look at that glass as half full

Private sector hiring was up last month

Forum List

Back