lower garden 4/27/09

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
IMG_0371.jpg

the asparagus patch...the flags note where sprouts have come up....i leave them all year helps with weeding and hoeing....also lets me know which crowns are not producing etc.
the reason they are different colored flags? i ran out of green ones....

IMG_0372.jpg

this is why we worked so hard to cover garden during snow etc...fresh stuff

IMG_0373.jpg

the broccoli plants have a ring of ground eggshells around them...helps keep cutworms from getting to them

IMG_0374.jpg

the lower garden after being watered this morning....

i dont think i will venture to the upper garden today

IMG_0371.jpg

the asparagus patch...the flags note where sprouts have come up....i leave them all year helps with weeding and hoeing....also lets me know which crowns are not producing etc.
the reason they are different colored flags? i ran out of green ones....

IMG_0372.jpg

this is why we worked so hard to cover garden during snow etc...fresh stuff

IMG_0373.jpg

the broccoli plants have a ring of ground eggshells around them...helps keep cutworms from getting to them

IMG_0374.jpg

the lower garden after being watered this morning....

i dont think i will venture to the upper garden today

I take it y'all don't have any deer in the area ?

deer are moving in...we have two big dogs but both of the lazy things like to sleep at night....so far no problems with deer....i dread the fence that would have to go up then....here you build an 8 ft fence then barbed wire the top..with the wire leaning out from the fence ....its too slanted and deer wont try to jump it....so they say

deer are moving in...we have two big dogs but both of the lazy things like to sleep at night....so far no problems with deer....i dread the fence that would have to go up then....here you build an 8 ft fence then barbed wire the top..with the wire leaning out from the fence ....its too slanted and deer wont try to jump it....so they say

That's what they have to build here or that garden would disappear overnight. Now wild hogs are a threat too.

lower smokies have wild hogs...we dont here...they destroy the ground rutting it up and all for worms....we are lucky...lots of undeveloped land around...so they dont have to come down for food...plus farmer al...is too kind hearted...we netted the blueberries one year due to bird...he found a dead black snake in the netting....had gotten caught then died in the sun....netting came right down...we just planted a few more bushes.....to share....deer you cant do that with....but i know he went hunting one time....he was the new one...so the guys took him hunting...big old buck came up...
he couldnt shot it...then no one could.....never took him hunting again....lol...

"Weeding" is such an evil, dirty word.. Another reason I can't tell the difference between home grown stuff, and the stuff I get at a grocery store. :lol:

o i can...once you have had corn right off the stalk...raw....you will know....the taste of freshly harvested food that aint been pissed on...is great.....of course talk to me..when we are out there fighting over how to water the garden....he likes to water it with a 2 gal can...so he knows just how much goes on each row...o fuck that shit...we got hoses with a sprayer....this caused a 2 hour or so fight over him being a total asshole...i went aginn 'em....they will find us both dead in the garden one day...him with a cobra hook buried in his heart...me with a pitchfort thru mine....garden tools are dangerous lol

o i can...once you have had corn right off the stalk...raw....you will know....the taste of freshly harvested food that aint been pissed on...is great.....of course talk to me..when we are out there fighting over how to water the garden....he likes to water it with a 2 gal can...so he knows just how much goes on each row...o fuck that shit...we got hoses with a sprayer....this caused a 2 hour or so fight over him being a total asshole...i went aginn 'em....they will find us both dead in the garden one day...him with a cobra hook buried in his heart...me with a pitchfort thru mine....garden tools are dangerous lol

LOL. You're only supporting my grocery store theory. :D

LOL. You're only supporting my grocery store theory. :D

when i saw the "microburst" damage i agree with you

Do you sell any, or is it all for personal consumption?

5/22 or so update on lower garden:

IMG_0588.jpg

these are some type of russians snap beans...have a scarlett blossom and if you look closely at the stem y ou will see a ring of purple

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Forum List

Back