Lower Cognitive Ability Proven to be Associated with Right-Wing Idealogies

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes

Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact

Abstract

Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Source: Psychological Science Journal (Sage Journals)

And what do you supose happens to a dimwit black man who is exposed to left wing ideologies and low levels of contact with out-groups?

Is the outcome really that shocking a revelation?

Last edited:
  • Banned
Apparently, they become a racist, xenophobe with homophobia, who hides it to fit in with his left-wing ideologue friends.

Question though: Why is the "dimwit" in your example a black man?

Did anyone say the study was focused on white people?

Research from the United Kingdom - where the definition of 'right wing' is pretty damned different to the US.

Just sayin'.

Apparently, they become a racist, xenophobe with homophobia, who hides it to fit in with his left-wing ideologue friends.

Question though: Why is the "dimwit" in your example a black man?

Did anyone say the study was focused on white people?

In the last topic on this study, some other dimwit got all focused on black voters. So I am just being pre-emptive this time.

And I think you will find the black community actually is one of the most homophobic demographics. You will also find their own brand of racism as well. Both toward whites and toward immigrants.

Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact

Abstract

Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Well, then what caused your state of mental midgetness?

Abstract

Yeah that is only 3 or 4 days old now...

I was waiting for some progressive fuck to post that.

Truth is that there are communists in this world and they exist at any and most levels of of institution, especially in academics who have a grudge for anyone who challenges them and their collectivist ideas or in their mind theories. And those collectivists are communists and it is their goal to paint anyone who disagrees with them (in their mind their opposition) as retarded people, in an attempt to discredit them.

The funny part is that conservatism has no political boundaries...

Besides, those with "low IQ's" would be unable to even rationalize conservatism, let alone liberalism...

I have some experience with individuals who are retarded and ideas are out of their realm. Many could learn an idea however not fully embrace the idea.

The purpose of that "study" was to paint "conservatives" in a bad light.

I think ANYONE who is "mentally challenged" would have a high tendency to be biased - not only that but violent.

• Banned
I'm missing where I made a personal comment on this study at all.

I simply posted the study summary, with sourcing, sans any comments whatsoever.

The only comment I made was to why another poster talked about black people.

So WTF is up with all the personal attacks and neg rep?

In the last topic on this study, some other dimwit got all focused on black voters. So I am just being pre-emptive this time.

And I think you will find the black community actually is one of the most homophobic demographics. You will also find their own brand of racism as well. Both toward whites and toward immigrants.

Understood.

And yes, generally, you are correct in your assessment of homophobia in the black community, I won't deny that. Also in the Hispanic community.

There is also reverse racism, also true. How prevalent it is I do not know, but yes, it is there.

The study was based on general population trends, however, and I believe it was conducted in the UK, where there is a much smaller minority population.

Also, there are a whole lot of very intelligent conservatives out there, I will not deny that.

Studies like this are simply based on general population trends, and do not necessarily mean that everyone fits into the resulting data.

Understood.

And yes, generally, you are correct in your assessment of homophobia in the black community, I won't deny that. Also in the Hispanic community.

There is also reverse racism, also true. How prevalent it is I do not know, but yes, it is there.

The study was based on general population trends, however, and I believe it was conducted in the UK, where there is a much smaller minority population.

There is no such thing as REVERSE Racism. There is Racism. Just because you Liberals think of racist as white does not mean when blacks are racist we need a new word.

There is no such thing as REVERSE Racism. There is Racism. Just because you Liberals think of racist as white does not mean when blacks are racist we need a new word.

It is true, reverse racism and racism are the same.

There is no functional difference. I concede that point.

I'm missing where I made a personal comment on this study at all.

I simply posted the study summary, with sourcing, sans any comments whatsoever.

The only comment I made was to why another poster talked about black people.

So WTF is up with all the personal attacks and neg rep?

Well, while I'm not defending any personal attacks, you did comment on the study. Your thread title claimed that the study proved an association. "proof" is not a claim made often in psychology; the authors claim they "found" a predictable pattern in their data set, which is a weaker claim.

I don't see any problems with the study, but I do think that it is in danger of being over-interpreted. The effects they are looking for are weak, subjective, and highly correlated with other variables. I wouldn't read too much into any one study.

Coming from a political party that thought "Hope" and "Change" were sound economic strategies, I'm gonna have to say "Fuck off" to you

not-this-stuff-again.jpg

Forum List

Back