Low Cal & Low Fat Delicious Recipes!

That's enough carbs to incite a nap after a meal. :cool: Most of this stuff would knock me out cold.

I wonder if the type of carbs matter. I gain weight with pasta, bread, rice, but not much with carbs that come from beans. BTW, carbs make me sleepy as well. I had a very BAD meal late last night -- duck sauce spare ribs and white rice and I fell asleep within 30 minutes.

Dunno.. I just know if I eat an apple or a banana, I might as well eat a candy bar. They affect me exactly the same way. If I eat bread, I'll miss out on the sugar rush/crash, and just get straight to the nap.

But give me a biig old fat steak, caesar salad without croutons, and some broccoli/cheese, and I can go for hours.

That sounds like the Atkins diet -- high in protein and fat, but minimal carbs. I think the fat part will do me in, but a lot of people do well with Atkins.

It's funny you mention the apple because I read someplace that an apple could be as effective as a cup of coffee in keeping people awake.

That's enough carbs to incite a nap after a meal. :cool: Most of this stuff would knock me out cold.

I wonder if the type of carbs matter. I gain weight with pasta, bread, rice, but not much with carbs that come from beans. BTW, carbs make me sleepy as well. I had a very BAD meal late last night -- duck sauce spare ribs and white rice and I fell asleep within 30 minutes.

Dunno.. I just know if I eat an apple or a banana, I might as well eat a candy bar. They affect me exactly the same way. If I eat bread, I'll miss out on the sugar rush/crash, and just get straight to the nap.

But give me a biig old fat steak, caesar salad without croutons, and some broccoli/cheese, and I can go for hours.

We are the opposite! Who would have thought. While sounding delicious, I'd go right to sleep with that. :lol:

We are the opposite! Who would have thought. While sounding delicious, I'd go right to sleep with that. :lol:

Blood type A-something, or other, are you? :lol:

That sounds like the Atkins diet -- high in protein and fat, but minimal carbs. I think the fat part will do me in, but a lot of people do well with Atkins.

It's funny you mention the apple because I read someplace that an apple could be as effective as a cup of coffee in keeping people awake.

Yep, fruit seems to be something we all are hit with the same way. It's like a rush of sugar and keeps me going for about 2 hours. The smoothies would be likewise if not for the yogurt.

Blood type A-something, or other, are you? :lol:

Actually I think an O. Can you believe I forgot? I know the kids are all O's.

Not *that* restrictive, but the same concept.

Back to food, one of my fav topics. In this case, one of my favorite, favorite topics-dessert:

Chocolate Souffle with vanilla sauce:

1/3 C fresh orange juice
1/3 C sugar
White of 4 eggs
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa (Dutch processed)
2 T Orange liqueur
3/4 C softened vanilla ice milk
Veg Oil Spray

Preheat oven to 300F. Lightly spray six 3 oz custard cups.

In a small saucepan, cook OJ and sugar over med-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture has a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, beat the whites until stiff, but stop before dry.

Pour the syrup over the whites; beat for 2 minutes

Add the cocoa and liqueur; beat only til well mixed. Pour into the prepared custard cups.

Bake for 12 minutes or until puffed.

To serve: spoon 2 T soften ice milk into center of each souffle.

Nutrition:
Cal: 109
Cholesterol: 2mf
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 46mg
Carb: 19g

This one has only 280 calories!

Filet of Tilapia with Corn on the Cob

Season one frozen tilapia with lemon pepper and garlic powder. Divide one tablespoon of butter into 3 squares and spread them evenly over fish. Place in microwavable plate covered with plastic wrap. Microwave for approximately 5.5 minutes. Serve with plain corn on the cob.

Pretty filling for less than 300 calories and tastes good as well.

I bought a whole bag of these at Costco and they're just as good as fresh tilapia. I could see myself having this a couple of times a week and varying the side.

This one has only 280 calories!

Filet of Tilapia with Corn on the Cob

Season one frozen tilapia with lemon pepper and garlic powder. Divide one tablespoon of butter into 3 squares and spread them evenly over fish. Place in microwavable plate covered with plastic wrap. Microwave for approximately 5.5 minutes. Serve with plain corn on the cob.

Pretty filling for less than 300 calories and tastes good as well.

I bought a whole bag of these at Costco and they're just as good as fresh tilapia. I could see myself having this a couple of times a week and varying the side.

Sounds yum!

today I bought boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for $2.40 lb. Basically 4 to a package, @ 3lbs. Bought 2. Cut into 16 pieces. Tonight I pan fried 6 in olive oil and garlic. Seasoned with Italian herbs and rosemary and garlic. Corn on the cob and fresh fruit salad. (No Spinach, the kids were thrilled. :lol:) Little do the know I did spinach omelet for late breakfast. ;) Got leftovers, besides lunch for tomorrow. Good sammies.

Amanda's Cheesy Eggplant Lassagna

2 medium eggplants cut into 1/4 inch thick lengthwise slices
2 pinches of garlic salt to taste
1 package of fresh mushrooms sliced (8 oz or more)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups low-fat marinara sauce
1 3/4 cups (6 oz) finely shredded low-fat or fat-free mozzarella cheese

Preheat the broiler. Mist a 13" x 9" glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Set aside.

Lightly mist the eggplant with olive oil spray. Place on a medium nonstick baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides with garlic salt. Broil 6" from the heat source for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until tender.

Meanwhile, lightly mist a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil spray. Set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until there isno luid remaining in the pan and the mushrooms are starting to brown.

Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Place half of the eggplant in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half o the mushroom mixture, half of the marinara sauce, and half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, mushrooms, sauce, and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot and the cheese is bubbly. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 equal portions. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 servines

Per serving: 196 calories, 16 g protein, 25 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (2 g saturated), 15 mg cholesterol, 11 g fiber, 800 mg sodium

I made this a couple of weeks ago and this was so delicious. Very filling.

from p189 of THE BIGGEST LOSER COOKBOOK.

Forum List

Back