INGREDIENTS
6 (1/4 inch thick) slices tomato
6 red onion slices
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS
Place tomatoes in a shallow dish; top each slice with an onion. In a small jar with tight-fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over tomatoes and onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Tomato Basil Salad - All Recipes

I made this last night and the husband gave it a thumbs up.

This will be dinner...The rest of the family will have rice as a side as well.

Chicken and Mushrooms -- 189 Calories

Ingredients:
4 small boneless chicken breasts
2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper
1 dash garlic powder
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce (I plan to substitute with low salt soy sauce)

Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the chicken breasts in a 9×13 baking dish.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with the onion flakes.
4. In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, and garlic powder; pour the mixture evenly over the chicken.
5. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.
6. Spread the mushrooms and red or green peppers evenly over the chicken and continue to bake, covered, for about 20 more minutes (or until the mushrooms are tender).

Servings: 4

Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories: 189
Calories from fat: 74
Total fat: 8.3g
Cholesterol: 55mg
Sodium: 1063mg
Total carbs: 7.3g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 21.7g
Weight Watchers points: 4

Chicken and Mushrooms recipe - 189 calories | Diet Recipes under 200 calories

Low-fat, Low-sodium, Low-cal. PC and I were talking about starting this thread. Time is now! Here's one I use often, (2X a month),from "One Dish Meals" from American Heart Association:

Salmon & Snow Peas With Ginger-Lime Rice (Serves 4, small servings)

2.5 C water
1 C uncooked jasmine rice
1.5 T crystallized ginger, minced
Zest of 1 med lime
1 T honey
1 t low-sod soy sauce
1 lb salmon fillet, skin on, rinsed and dried
8oz snow peas, trimmed

In Dutch oven, bring water to boil over high heat. Stir in rice, ginger, lime zest. Return to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, covered, 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together the honey and soy sauce. Spread on top and sides of salmon.

After 5 minutes, stir the rice. Place the salmon skin-side down on the rice. Cook, covered for 8 minutes.

Place the peas on the salmon. Cook, covered for 8 minutes or until salmon flakes easily.

364 cal
61 mg cholesterol
Tot fat: 4g
117 mg sod

Last edited:
o hell we had pork chops, mashed taters with butter and milk, cole slaw ...mayo based and a damned chocolate mousse for dessert...

low cal and low fat....

honey hush ...i even fry tofu....

o hell we had pork chops, mashed taters with butter and milk, cole slaw ...mayo based and a damned chocolate mousse for dessert...

low cal and low fat....

Bones, go to 'comfort food', :lol:

Chunky Minestrone

Minestrone is Italian for "big soup," and this one is big indeed--full of zucchini, onion, and carrot. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
One medium carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
Two cloves garlic, minced
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Two 14-1/2-ounce cans low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up (I use salt-free)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup long-grain rice
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
4 cups shredded fresh spinach
One, 15-ounce can reduced-sodium navy beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
One medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
(I up pepper to 1/2 t and add 1/2 t red pepper flakes, I like spicy and it covers up the lack of salt.)
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the onion, carrot, and garlic in hot oil about 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, undrained tomatoes, water, uncooked rice, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the spinach, beans, zucchini, and pepper. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.

Recipe makes five 1-3/4-cup servings.

Nutrition Facts per Serving:
Calories 246
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Protein 11g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
Sodium 462mg

This is what I am having for lunch with a few cubes of cheddar cheese:

Tomato & Basil Salad

INGREDIENTS
6 (1/4 inch thick) slices tomato
6 red onion slices
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS
Place tomatoes in a shallow dish; top each slice with an onion. In a small jar with tight-fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over tomatoes and onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Tomato Basil Salad - All Recipes

I made this last night and the husband gave it a thumbs up.

This will be dinner...The rest of the family will have rice as a side as well.

Chicken and Mushrooms -- 189 Calories

Ingredients:
4 small boneless chicken breasts
2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper
1 dash garlic powder
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce (I plan to substitute with low salt soy sauce)

Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the chicken breasts in a 9×13 baking dish.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with the onion flakes.
4. In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, and garlic powder; pour the mixture evenly over the chicken.
5. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.
6. Spread the mushrooms and red or green peppers evenly over the chicken and continue to bake, covered, for about 20 more minutes (or until the mushrooms are tender).

Servings: 4

Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories: 189
Calories from fat: 74
Total fat: 8.3g
Cholesterol: 55mg
Sodium: 1063mg
Total carbs: 7.3g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 21.7g
Weight Watchers points: 4

Chicken and Mushrooms recipe - 189 calories | Diet Recipes under 200 calories

Both sound yummy. The tomatoes especially. I love tomatoes! Perhaps a bit of cilantro or a squeeze of lemon? Even with low-sodium soy sauce, the chicken is too high for my diet. :(

PC's tomatoes reminded me of this recipe I tried last summer. I've got a bunch of these bookmarked. This was really good. I like to mess with the recipes, usually I make them once following pretty closely, then start adding stuff. ;)

Broiled Tomato-Pesto Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 ½ cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
1 ½ tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
4 bagels or English muffins, split
1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced

Instructions
1. Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

2. Preheat the broiler. Place bagels or muffins cut-side up on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread each half with the reserved basil mixture and top with a few slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and broil until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.

Nutrition Information
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings

Broiled Tomato-Pesto Sandwiches - Eating Well

low cal and low fat....

That's what I'd rather have right now. I had a yogurt shake that I blended up for breakfast and I'm hungry already...:evil:

low cal and low fat....

That's what I'd rather have right now. I had a yogurt shake that I blended up for breakfast and I'm hungry already...:evil:

Hmmm, how'd you make it? I drink those when I haven't time for oatmeal.

Lots of fruit, (I like strawberries, blueberries, and a banana)
vanilla yogurt
1 T honey

Blend with about 2 C crushed ice.

o i got one i got one...all proud and all

put some yogurt in a small bowl...put some fruit over it and then some granola....

da dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

of course i use whole millk yogurt lol...

Total Carbohydrate 43g

That's enough carbs to incite a nap after a meal. :cool: Most of this stuff would knock me out cold.

I don't know if it's a function of the individual tastes, metabolism, or what. I do better with carbs, High fiber, low fat, minimal protein.

Annie, that Minestrone sounds good. I love all the veggies that go in there. If you like beans you might like this one. I've made it a couple of times. So good, I start talking with an Italian accent afterwards. :)

Escarole and White-Bean Soup
Zuppa di Scarola e Canellini
by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen

1 1/2 cups cannellini, Great Northern, baby lima, or other small dried white beans
2 quarts water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling over the finished soup
salt as needed
6 cups coarsely shredded excarole leaves (preferably the tough outer leaves), washed and drained
8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
4 to 6 whole dried peperoncini (not red peppers)
Makes 6 servings

Cold-soak or quick-soak the beans. Drain and transfer to a 5- or 6-quart pot. Pour in 2 quarts of water, toss in the bay leaves, and bring back to a boil. Adjust the heat to simmering, pour in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, and cook until the beans are tender, 1 to 1/2 hours. By the time the beans are tender, they should be covered by about 1 inch or cooking liquid. Season the beans to taste with salt. Stir in the escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole is quite tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.

Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, shaking the pan, until lightly browned. Add the whole peperoncini and cook shaking the pan, just until the peppers change color about 1 minute or less. Remove from the heat and carefully -- it will sputter quite a bit -- pour one ladleful of soup into the skillet. Swirl the pan to blend the two, then stir the panful of seasoned soup back into the large pot. Check the seasoning and let the soup rest of the heat, covered, 10 to 15 minutes.

Annie, that Minestrone sounds good. I love all the veggies that go in there. If you like beans you might like this one. I've made it a couple of times. So good, I start talking with an Italian accent afterwards. :)

Escarole and White-Bean Soup
Zuppa di Scarola e Canellini
by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen

1 1/2 cups cannellini, Great Northern, baby lima, or other small dried white beans
2 quarts water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling over the finished soup
salt as needed
6 cups coarsely shredded excarole leaves (preferably the tough outer leaves), washed and drained
8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
4 to 6 whole dried peperoncini (not red peppers)
Makes 6 servings

Cold-soak or quick-soak the beans. Drain and transfer to a 5- or 6-quart pot. Pour in 2 quarts of water, toss in the bay leaves, and bring back to a boil. Adjust the heat to simmering, pour in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, and cook until the beans are tender, 1 to 1/2 hours. By the time the beans are tender, they should be covered by about 1 inch or cooking liquid. Season the beans to taste with salt. Stir in the escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole is quite tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.

Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, shaking the pan, until lightly browned. Add the whole peperoncini and cook shaking the pan, just until the peppers change color about 1 minute or less. Remove from the heat and carefully -- it will sputter quite a bit -- pour one ladleful of soup into the skillet. Swirl the pan to blend the two, then stir the panful of seasoned soup back into the large pot. Check the seasoning and let the soup rest of the heat, covered, 10 to 15 minutes.

Oh that sounds Soooo good. Yep, I use lots of beans, lentils, and veggies-often with wild rice or ww pasta. Reason the carbs will be high, as Dis noticed.

low cal and low fat....

vanilla yogurt
1 T honey

Your's sound similar to how I make it.

Peaches...
Plain lowfat yogurt
sliced peaches (I used canned)
Crushed ice

Peanut Butter...
Plain lowfat yogurt
peanut butter
banana
crushed ice

I also make the above for the kids, but I substitute in milk for the yogurt.

Total Carbohydrate 43g

That's enough carbs to incite a nap after a meal. :cool: Most of this stuff would knock me out cold.

I don't know if it's a function of the individual tastes, metabolism, or what. I do better with carbs, High fiber, low fat, minimal protein.

I think it's more blood type, actually... Everyone that I know that functions better on high protein, low carb is actually O blood type... I'm O negative. My ideal meal would probably make you cringe. :D

Total Carbohydrate 43g

I wonder if the type of carbs matter. I gain weight with pasta, bread, rice, but not much with carbs that come from beans. BTW, carbs make me sleepy as well. I had a very BAD meal late last night -- duck sauce spare ribs and white rice and I fell asleep within 30 minutes.

Total Carbohydrate 43g

I wonder if the type of carbs matter. I gain weight with pasta, bread, rice, but not much with carbs that come from beans. BTW, carbs make me sleepy as well. I had a very BAD meal late last night -- duck sauce spare ribs and white rice and I fell asleep within 30 minutes.

Dunno.. I just know if I eat an apple or a banana, I might as well eat a candy bar. They affect me exactly the same way. If I eat bread, I'll miss out on the sugar rush/crash, and just get straight to the nap.

But give me a biig old fat steak, caesar salad without croutons, and some broccoli/cheese, and I can go for hours.

vanilla yogurt
1 T honey

Your's sound similar to how I make it.

Peaches...
Plain lowfat yogurt
sliced peaches (I used canned)
Crushed ice

Peanut Butter...
Plain lowfat yogurt
peanut butter
banana
crushed ice

I also make the above for the kids, but I substitute in milk for the yogurt.

Maybe you're making them too small? Try the bit of honey, they get me through to lunch. Then again, I pack in a lot of fruit.

I think it's better to rely on good nutrition and exercise more than calorie counts. I mean I do watch calories, but if I go to 1200 I don't freak. There are days when I want a 4 serving recipe to be 2. LOL!

New Topics

Forum List

Back