"Love Your Enemy." "Turn The Other Cheek." What Did J.C. Mean?

Love your enemy, so all American christians love Osama bin Laden? And the 9/11 hijackers?

What I am about to say is not acceptable by some.

I believe we are commanded to love our enemies, however, I don't believe we must like them or their behaviors.

I also don't believe we can create real love ourselves, so the command to love has to come with the love itself to use to love them with. I believe that love is provided by God, and we cannot use it unless we have a relationship with Him.

I believe I love the people you mentioned enough to have taken risks (had the opportunity arrived) to tell them about the love of God, and to desire that they understand and accept that love. I cannot say that I love what they did or stood for, but I do have compassion for these kinds of people.

If a person were to rape one of my children, would I love them? I cannot really answer such a question, for as mentioned above, God placed that love in me, and I am commanded to exercise it, however, because it is a command, I believe it is possible to not exercise. That would be disobedience.

The honest truth is that I believe I would actually exercise that love through forgiveness. I could never love what they would have done. In many cases, I have felt the strong awareness that I have such a great dose of God's love in me that I acrually cannot not love them.

Forum List

Back