"Love Your Enemy." "Turn The Other Cheek." What Did J.C. Mean?

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
"Love Your Enemy." "Turn The Other Cheek." What Did Jesus Mean?

Dear Folks/Forum Members:

The title of this thread basically says it all.

I would like to ask all of you folks what you think Jesus meant, or intended by those radical statements.

These statements flew in the face, of man's/woman's way of handling or dealing with a part of life that can or could be a big issue at times.
Jesus was a radical in my opinion. I think that His statements would have been met with a lot of head scratching by a majority of mankind, even now.

Now, being a radical, I don't mean a radical in a negative sense, but radical in His stance or statement in lieu of past or prevailing beliefs.
Again, I did post this to stimulate some discussion about this "radical" man's statements.

Please, can we keep this discussion around His statements I mentioned, and not digress into, those people of the past or even present that claim or allege to be Christians and have done someone, large groups, or even nation's of people wrong, unethical, inhumane, acts.

I'm not trying to avoid those past inhumane acts, but want to "key" in on Jesus's specific statements and what it meant, and what you think.
Please share your insights into those "radical" statements that Jesus made nearly 2,000 years ago.

If you want to change minds you dont do it with the large end of a table leg.

Jesus wanted people to think.

Most were used to just reacting with force( and still do).

He was a great philosopher in my opinion.

You can kill the person who doesnt agree with you but then his children and his childerns children will be closed to the ideas you were trying to promote.

If jesus did exist, and the bible is at least a tiny bit factual. Then jesus must have been refering to the word revenge.

In my opinion, he was not expecting everyone to make love to an enemy. So thats crossed out

He was not expecting everyone to be friends with an enemy and join hands. So thats crossed out

I believe he was talking about, just learn to forgive someone for doing you wrong. Basically, you dont have to like them but you dont have to get revenge on them either because that makes you no different from your own enemy who you hate, therefore you should hate yourself if your going to retaliate.

Meaning, think things through like a wise man, before you go hurting your enemy.

Essentially, both of these sayings meant he same thing. Turn the other cheek does not mean ignore someone while they go and beat your mothers face in. It means turn away from "REVENEGE".

Which alot of people would disagree with seeing as the statment "eye for an eye" is in the bible. Though, as you know, a majority of people are either uneducated or un-intelletcual enough to realize that this does not count for human life. Im not even religious and I have studied different statments made to bring out the real meaning of them from the old king james version. Literally "eye for an eye" means valued goods. If someone steals your piece of bread then you shall steal his, or something of equal value. Americans are too stupid to realize this, so they buy guns and start telling themselves that its ok to kill someone that wronged me.

I agree with truth, jesus must have been one of the greatest philosophers that emerged at the worst possible time.

But, we are only human and we must believe what we want to believe about a 2000 year old book. There is no perfect interpretation.

Its pretty solid that he did exsist ,there are many independant mmentions of him throughout history from what I understand.

Wether he actually said all he did we will never know but what is attributed to him is some very wise thoughts indeed.

I think the idea was that when you are faced with violence do not respond in kind turn your face and ready for another blow to the other side of your face.

The wisdom of this is YOU my get your butt kicked but those watching will wonder why the person continues to strike you when you offer no resistance.

This allows what you have to say to fight your battle instead of stooping to your opponents lowly behavior.

You have to be willing to Die for what you believe and he did.

Its pretty solid that he did exsist ,there are many independant mmentions of him throughout history from what I understand.

Wether he actually said all he did we will never know but what is attributed to him is some very wise thoughts indeed.

I think the idea was that when you are faced with violence do not respond in kind turn your face and ready for another blow to the other side of your face.

The wisdom of this is YOU my get your butt kicked but those watching will wonder why the person continues to strike you when you offer no resistance.

This allows what you have to say to fight your battle instead of stooping to your opponents lowly behavior.

B-I-N-G-O

The verse actually mentions this TM!

it continues and says...these submissive actions would be like ''burning coals'' on one's adversary's head...and not just the adversary's, but those that initially allied with your adversary...i would presume!

He was a great human being and I mean that as no insult.

For me Ghandi and him were great heros.

I love the idea that I am just as capable as them at being that wonderful because there is nothing seperating them from me.

We are all just human beings and the power of thought and truth can truely raise mankind to the highest level.

He was a great human being and I mean that as no insult.

For me Ghandi and him were great heros.

I love the idea that I am just as capable as them at being that wonderful because there is nothing seperating them from me.

We are all just human beings and the power of thought and truth can truely raise mankind to the highest level.

Respectfull folks: Can we try to concentrate on the intent of the thread, and thats to have discussion about the merits of what Jesus said in this topic?

I don't want to this to digress into, "Was Jesus real" or areas that don't pertain to the actual statements that are before us to digest, understand, and comment on.

Was Jesus if He was real, just a man, God, or a fictional story character, right in these statements towards mankind? That's where I'd like the direction to to and not into the merits of a religion or the alleged contradictions of the O.T. or N.T. take on God.

B-I-N-G-O

The verse actually mentions this TM!

it continues and says...these submissive actions would be like ''burning coals'' on one's adversary's head...and not just the adversary's, but those that initially allied with your adversary...i would presume!

Interestingly about the burning coals. I have done some research and it seems that there's a good chance that this burning coals thing has a cultural connection going back to Egyptian culture. When Egyptians were accused or guilty of some infraction there was some sort of custom of placing hot embers or coals in a pan and placing it on one's head as a sign of guilt or a affected conscience....

Maybe someone could make or clarify that somewhat, but I still would like to not digress from "love your enemies" and "turn the other cheek".

Jesus is a powerful being in heaven and will be so when he returns to be the King on Earth. However when he was on earth the first time, he was a man, mortal and frail and with freewill. He made his choices out of faith and knowledge. He CHOSE to sacrifice for us as a man, aware this would kill him. He understood before he made the decision it would involve suffering and pain. yet he chose to follow that path.

Peace is the path to Righteousness. One must fight but not out of petty squabbles or as has been mentioned for Revenge. There are correct times to raise the sword. But that should always be the last choice and only taken when nothing can be accomplished without the sword.

Jesus is a powerful being in heaven and will be so when he returns to be the King on Earth. However when he was on earth the first time, he was a man, mortal and frail and with freewill. He made his choices out of faith and knowledge. He CHOSE to sacrifice for us as a man, aware this would kill him. He understood before he made the decision it would involve suffering and pain. yet he chose to follow that path.

Peace is the path to Righteousness. One must fight but not out of petty squabbles or as has been mentioned for Revenge. There are correct times to raise the sword. But that should always be the last choice and only taken when nothing can be accomplished without the sword.

Sgt: That was a beautiful statement in my estimation.

:eusa_naughty: :lol:

al mighty Jupiter Please, I repen.............Naw that aint working for me either.

al mighty Jupiter Please, I repen.............Naw that aint working for me either.

Then try Jewpiter. He’s the war God the Seppos opportunely plagiarised from an obscure, utterly self-absorbed branch of the Arabs because they believe they are God’s-in-waiting.

Or maybe Ella Fitz-Herald. She’s just as vicious, vengeful, and vindictive as the Jewmerican God.

Either one will have you imbecilically beholden to them, and fanatically keen to “barm” the other satanic group back to the Abrahamic Age, because of family feud over an ancient Semitic ego trip. :thup:

What the people watching wonder is "why doesn't this nimrod fight back?"

My opinion is it's more along the lines of what vintij said. Being willing to die for what you believe in and not lifting a finger to prevent your slaughter are two very different things.

When you do such a thing, the evil that murders you prevails while you and your ideals are no more.

What the people watching wonder is "why doesn't this nimrod fight back?"

My opinion is it's more along the lines of what vintij said. Being willing to die for what you believe in and not lifting a finger to prevent your slaughter are two very different things.

When you do such a thing, the evil that murders you prevails while you and your ideals are no more.
I am not so certain Gunny...

The whole world got to know about Christ perhaps because he didn't resist...?

Well, for certain He was not a Hypocrite, teaching one thing and doing another...He did "turn His cheek" and loved His enemy.... and instead He said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do....."

and one has to ask oneself, why not smite them or strike them down when He could have...? you know? Why not?

I don't really know the answer, but it is worth thinking over and contemplating....

Care

He fought when he wipped the maoney changers.

He did not fight when he knew message would suffer.

He stood for what he believed and it was more important than even his own life to him.

That is standing on priciple.

Care is right because people could not forget his message of peace when he refused to fight because it was the only way to truely protect what he believed.

Peace my brothers and sisters.

I am not so certain Gunny...

The whole world got to know about Christ perhaps because he didn't resist...?

Well, for certain He was not a Hypocrite, teaching one thing and doing another...He did "turn His cheek" and loved His enemy.... and instead He said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do....."

and one has to ask oneself, why not smite them or strike them down when He could have...? you know? Why not?

I don't really know the answer, but it is worth thinking over and contemplating....

Care

Christ's ideals lived on. Joe Average's usually don't. All his hopes, dreams and everything he ever was and was going to be dies with him. He might be remembered by his granchildren if he lives that long. After that, he's a name lost in family genealogy.

What right does some person who is so selfish he is willing to kill for his desires have to live while a good man dies?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” --Edmund Burke

My sometimes signature.

I don't have the actual answer either, nor do I disregard what others have to say. I merely have my belief based on what I have stated. Evil was not meant to triumph. It only will when it is unnopposed.

Forum List

Back