Love this quote by a protestor

So you are then saying to the American youth DONT GO TO COLLEGE???????>

You completely ignore the fact that tutition is WAY more than when you went to college........WHY???????

I'm saying it might not be wise to go to college to get an unmarketable degree, and it certainly isn't wise to go that far into debt with dubious results. Sometimes trade school is a good option to start, a much better financial option than an MSW from Smith.

It's true. We need to stop lying to people and telling them they need degrees to get an education and instead teach them how to educate themselves again.

I think you have to go deeper than that.
The education debt is not really by choice now is it? The alternate is no education at all.

You are assuming that earning a degree is in fact an education. You can get the same education for free in a library as you can at any college.

something many here will refuse to admit.

Because it's simply not true. Just sitting in a library you will not interact with experts (often world leaders) in a given subject, you will not have the ready-made opportunity to interact regularly with others (often from around the world) studying the same subject with the same intensity, you will not have research and materials prepared and presented to you that you would be unlikely to access on your own, and you will not be pushed and held accountable to demonstrate your mastery of material in anything like the same manner. It's quite dramatic, and self-satisfying, and populist to say "My library card is worth as much as your degree" (ripping off a line from a bad movie) but under any kind of serious consideration it is just not true.

CAN you slack off for 4-6-8 years and get a degree? Sure, but that in no way negates the above. You CAN just fall asleep in the library and wake up claiming to have a college education.

Here's the thing:

People can teach themselves many things, but claiming that a person can sit alone in a library and get the equivalent of a college education is just nonsense, as anyone who bothers to think about it carefully for two minutes will conclude.

I guess you're ignoring the fact that you can sit alone in a library these days and actually earn a college degree. Perhaps you've heard of University of Phoenix?

That protesters comment is just a perfect example of the "entitlement" generation! How about learning the definition of input and output, cause and effect, yin and yang, geez what are they teaching in the class rooms in Public school now days!!! These are the next in line after we 40+ adults retire, that will have to fend for themselves!!!! boy are they in for a shock!!

Here's the thing:

People can teach themselves many things, but claiming that a person can sit alone in a library and get the equivalent of a college education is just nonsense, as anyone who bothers to think about it carefully for two minutes will conclude.

I guess you're ignoring the fact that you can sit alone in a library these days and actually earn a college degree. Perhaps you've heard of University of Phoenix?

Yeah, that's worth about as much as your opinion here is. I can also become a minister online and pay $50 to name a star after myself. I think you get the point.

Here's the thing:

Yeah, that's worth about as much as your opinion here is. I can also become a minister online and pay $50 to name a star after myself. I think you get the point.

You're the one here arguing for the value of a degree. And now I've made you contradict yourself.

I win. :woohoo:

You're the one here arguing for the value of a degree. And now I've made you contradict yourself.

You have done no such thing. Good job acting like a 12 year old though. :rolleyes:

You have done no such thing. Good job acting like a 12 year old though. :rolleyes:

My bad, I assumed your comment about my opinion was that it wasn't worth anything. I now understand that you were ascribing tremendous value to it, so thanks for that. :thup:

Sorry Poindexter, but no.

So Sally none of these people were educated because they didn't have a degree?

Autodidactic Profiles - AUTODIDACTIC PRESS - lifelong learning advocate

You see Sally not everyone needs to pay people to tell them what words in a book mean

You didn't even read most of those little profiles, did you Poindexter? Leaving aside the interesting question of what percentage of the total working population they represent, which of them do you offer your life to if you need complicated surgery?

One can learn the skills needed to perform surgery without having a degree. One can learn a lot of things without a degree but sheep like you have been programmed not to believe that.

The fact that people can still CLEP out of college courses proves that anyone can master college courses on their own.

I saved thousands by taking CLEP exams without the need for professors telling me what they thought the words in the books meant. But then again one has to be able to read above a second grade level to do so. No wonder you couldn't.

CLEP - College Level Examination Program (CLEP) -Save Time. Save Money. Take CLEP | College Board CLEP Site

My bad, I assumed your comment about my opinion was that it wasn't worth anything. I now understand that you were ascribing tremendous value to it, so thanks for that. :thup:

Your opinion, like an online ministry, a phoney-baloney U of Phoenix :rolleyes: 'degree' and claiming a star is really yours, is worth exactly nothing.

So Sally none of these people were educated because they didn't have a degree?

Autodidactic Profiles - AUTODIDACTIC PRESS - lifelong learning advocate

You see Sally not everyone needs to pay people to tell them what words in a book mean

You didn't even read most of those little profiles, did you Poindexter? Leaving aside the interesting question of what percentage of the total working population they represent, which of them do you offer your life to if you need complicated surgery?

One can learn the skills needed to perform surgery without having a degree. ]

Ah, now we have people claiming that both a formal education and experience are unnecessary, but can't seem to fit both arguments together. This is where it all dissolves into semantics as jokers like you start to look for the exits.

The fact that people can still CLEP out of college courses proves that anyone can master college courses on their own.

I saved thousands by taking CLEP exams ]

Doesn't that just figure? Did you do that after you got your GED? Your attitude and obvious limitations are becoming more and more understandable.

Your opinion, like an online ministry, a phoney-baloney U of Phoenix :rolleyes: 'degree' and claiming a star is really yours, is worth exactly nothing.

You're welcome to your poorly thought out and contradictory opinions, but a degree from U of Phoenix is just as accredited as a degree from any other college or university you care to cite.

Fact, not opinion. :thup:

I saved thousands by taking CLEP exams ]

Doesn't that just figure? Did you do that after you got your GED? Your attitude and obvious limitations are becoming more and more understandable.

Don't presume to know anything about me.

I have 2 bachelors and a masters' degree.

Anyone with any intelligence at all knows that a degree is not the only measure of an education.

You can certainly get an education from books instead of teachers.

Whether or not anyone will hire you if you are self-taught is another story.

One can learn the skills needed to perform surgery without having a degree. ]

Ah, now we have people claiming that both a formal education and experience are unnecessary, but can't seem to fit both arguments together. This is where it all dissolves into semantics as jokers like you start to look for the exits.

Where did I say experience was unnecessary?

Surgery is nothing but a set of skills. One can learn those skills from someone without having to get a degree.

I know people who leaned how to spay a dog without having gone to veterinary school so what makes you think that someone without a medical degree can't learn to perform surgery on a person?

Are you really so stupid that you can't learn something on your own or under an apprenticeship?

You can certainly get an education from books instead of teachers.

Whether or not anyone will hire you if you are self-taught is another story.

That's not the argument here though is it?

The fact is that some of the most successful and admired people in history had no formal education.

We've been so brow beaten into thinking that to be educated that one must attend some university and it's simply not true.

Forum List

Back