Love this quote by a protestor

Last edited:
Both is great. But aptitude is required..

So is experience, beyond a pretty basic level of work.

Nope. I've already disproven that theory more than once myself. :thup:

Great. The next time you need brain surgery I'm sure you'll request a surgeon who has done nothing but read some books about it in the library.

The next time you fly I'm sure you'll request a pilot who has only ever read some books about it.

Good luck, asshole.

So you are then saying to the American youth DONT GO TO COLLEGE???????>

You completely ignore the fact that tutition is WAY more than when you went to college........WHY???????

I'm saying don't go into debt and then complain about paying it back.

I know the concept of not complaining about choices you have made is foreign to you.
I didn't notice where she was complaining about paying it back.

They dont seem to care about preserving the American dream

Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

700 arrested after protest on NY?s Brooklyn Bridge - Boston.com

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

EiG4DEBVenvq4meyY17CxWJ6o1_400.jpg

A college education in itself is no guarantee of income. You get a basket weaving degree you will go hungry. You get an electrical engineering degree employers will fight to get you.

So we may have two kids with a degree in sociology who owe tons of money and can't even get a job at mcDonalds.

Well maybe you can't but anyone with an IQ over 80 can.

Sorry Poindexter, but no.

So Sally none of these people were educated because they didn't have a degree?

Autodidactic Profiles - AUTODIDACTIC PRESS - lifelong learning advocate

You see Sally not everyone needs to pay people to tell them what words in a book mean

You didn't even read most of those little profiles, did you Poindexter? Leaving aside the interesting question of what percentage of the total working population they represent, which of them do you offer your life to if you need complicated surgery?

Yes those terrible people wanting educations.
That is how you see this country huh?

The point to education is to acquire useful skills. Learning to be a machinist or a typographer is education. In this day and age a degree in lesbian studies just means you partied for four years.

I have contributed $35,000 to my kids education accounts. My son is working hard on qualifying for a scholarship. He has a 3.6 GPA cumulative to Jr year. I know it is important. So do my kids. But they also know the reality of the job market.

If the guy from a state school interviews for the same job as a guy from an Ivy, the Ivy guy is (all other things being equal) more likely to get it. Brand value is one of the top reasons an Ivy League degree is valuable. Beyond that, Ivy grads are still pretty clubby and doors will open that might not otherwise. It's not that the value of the education received is necessarily any greater, but there is significant value to the degree nonetheless.

In my experience I've found that only happens when the social network around ivy league elites is used and that social network isn't there for mere classmates. There is also an entitlement mentality rampant in ivy league graduates that turns employers off in many instances. At 22, an interviewee in my company with a Bachelor of Arts in English is as inexperienced coming from Dartmouth as they are coming from Armstrong State. The Armstrong State alum wants the job, the Dartmouth grad feels and acts like he's slumming.

So you are then saying to the American youth DONT GO TO COLLEGE???????>

You completely ignore the fact that tutition is WAY more than when you went to college........WHY???????

I'm saying it might not be wise to go to college to get an unmarketable degree, and it certainly isn't wise to go that far into debt with dubious results. Sometimes trade school is a good option to start, a much better financial option than an MSW from Smith.

Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

700 arrested after protest on NY?s Brooklyn Bridge - Boston.com

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

EiG4DEBVenvq4meyY17CxWJ6o1_400.jpg

Now see what they want the NEW American dream to be?

Eat your gruel and keep bailing out big business and wallstreet the starving kids in Africa wish they could be in your place.

And who on earth wants to bail out businesses?

You do realize that we believe in the free market where government doesnt bail out business right?

And no, whining about obligations you voluntarily took and blaming others for them is foolish. I have alot of student loans to pay back. But im not whining about them. Im working my butt off to pay them back. As well I should.

Side story: We had an opening for an analyst position last year and originally we were looking for someone with 5-7 years of experience and the starting salary range was $65-75k/yr. The applicants totally friggin blew chunks. I lobbied hard to instead hire an entry level college graduate and pay them $40k, so long as I was allowed to administer my own aptitude test. Long story short, I ended up hiring (gasp!) a minority woman from a state school and here we are 15 months later and she's a rising star in the company.

You're welcome. :thup:

Depends on the business, but my dad will take an enthusiastic, literate, kid with a criminal record over a graduate on occasion. He's done that several times - in fact, he proactively looks to take on those kids now.... because he finds that most of them are pretty damned hard working. As part of their benefits, they get the opportunity to further their formal education. Seems to work well.

I've always valued aptitude over experience since aptitude can't simply be acquired via the passage of time.

That's pretty much what Dad says. "Give me someone who wants to learn and is prepared to start at the bottom and I'll take him over some Harvard Grad with an attitude."

Here's the thing:

People can teach themselves many things, but claiming that a person can sit alone in a library and get the equivalent of a college education is just nonsense, as anyone who bothers to think about it carefully for two minutes will conclude.

I think you have to go deeper than that.
The education debt is not really by choice now is it? The alternate is no education at all.

You are assuming that earning a degree is in fact an education. You can get the same education for free in a library as you can at any college.

something many here will refuse to admit.

Basically, it is okay to be worried about your future because of the economy if you're a teapee.

It is not okay to be worried about your future if you're a student.

:)

Actually, it's alright for everyone to be worried.

What is not alright is trying to get others to pay for your choices

Forum List

Back