Love songs; a lost art.

• Banned
^What would songs be about if they weren’t about love – and of course sex, love’s evil twin? If we estimate that about 90 per cent of them attempt to fathom our favourite game, the other 10 per cent concern the Lord, death, violence, politics, sorrow, run-ins with the law, running away from home, dancing, clothing, cars, animals, ennui, boomerangs that won’t come back, etc. It is the exceptional musician whose oeuvre isn’t love-laden; the Sixties groups were good at this – the Kinks, the Who and particularly Procol Harum, whose hit singles such as ‘Whiter Shade Of Pale’, ‘Homburg’, ‘Conquistador’, ‘A Salty Dog’ and ‘Pandora’s Box’ seemed to be part of a prolonged wager between band members as to who would cave first and pen a soppy love song.

They were wise to swerve the subject, as love is both the easiest and the hardest thing to write about – universal, yet unique. One false step can precipitate a fatal fall from capturing the most subtle and profound experience known to humankind into the saccharine swamp of cliché.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/12/13/britain-europe-and-decades-of-deception/

What a great article. This was particularly interesting:

If anything, it seems that as we grow franker about sex, love reveals less of its mysteries. Just as we’ve all now seen on screen 1,001 ways to kill someone and yet know nothing about death, we know scores of ways to have sex with someone but are no nearer to understanding what makes us fall in love with them.

We live in a crude age, it goes without saying. So love songs, to so many, seem cloying and even immature. Societies can turn back--witness the Puritans and their influence, for example, or the Victorian age after the Regency. But I don't know the 21st century genie can or will ever be put back in the bottle.

For, me some of the 70s songwriters were just genius. Take a love song like "Guinevere". Haunting, layered, pure songwriting genius IMO. I don't hear anything like it today.

I'm not being a smart ass, Mindful--this is one of my favorite love songs these days. It's a clever way to put it, I think. I put up a vid with the lyrics in case it's new to you.

I'm not being a smart ass, Mindful--this is one of my favorite love songs these days. It's a clever way to put it, I think. I put up a vid with the lyrics in case it's new to you.

Country Music is really where the love songs are being written these days. Some of them really good, some of them not. I've always been partial to this one myself.

• Banned

Country Music is really where the love songs are being written these days. Some of them really good, some of them not. I've always been partial to this one myself.

I like the stories those songs tell. Bitter sweet.

In today's PC culture every 'love song' is 'an attack on women'.
Try playing 'Baby It's cold outside' in any college lounge and wait from the PC police to attack you.

Forum List

Back