Love songs; a lost art.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mindful, Dec 22, 2018.

  1. Mindful
    Offline

    Mindful Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Messages:
    20,315
    Thanks Received:
    5,636
    Trophy Points:
    420
    Location:
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Ratings:
    +35,649
    Love songs: a lost art
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mindful
    Offline

    Mindful Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Messages:
    20,315
    Thanks Received:
    5,636
    Trophy Points:
    420
    Location:
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Ratings:
    +35,649
    ^What would songs be about if they weren’t about love – and of course sex, love’s evil twin? If we estimate that about 90 per cent of them attempt to fathom our favourite game, the other 10 per cent concern the Lord, death, violence, politics, sorrow, run-ins with the law, running away from home, dancing, clothing, cars, animals, ennui, boomerangs that won’t come back, etc. It is the exceptional musician whose oeuvre isn’t love-laden; the Sixties groups were good at this – the Kinks, the Who and particularly Procol Harum, whose hit singles such as ‘Whiter Shade Of Pale’, ‘Homburg’, ‘Conquistador’, ‘A Salty Dog’ and ‘Pandora’s Box’ seemed to be part of a prolonged wager between band members as to who would cave first and pen a soppy love song.

    They were wise to swerve the subject, as love is both the easiest and the hardest thing to write about – universal, yet unique. One false step can precipitate a fatal fall from capturing the most subtle and profound experience known to humankind into the saccharine swamp of cliché.



     
  3. SweetSue92
    Offline

    SweetSue92 Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2018
    Messages:
    4,962
    Thanks Received:
    1,031
    Trophy Points:
    270
    Location:
    USA
    Ratings:
    +5,096
    What a great article. This was particularly interesting:

    If anything, it seems that as we grow franker about sex, love reveals less of its mysteries. Just as we’ve all now seen on screen 1,001 ways to kill someone and yet know nothing about death, we know scores of ways to have sex with someone but are no nearer to understanding what makes us fall in love with them.

    We live in a crude age, it goes without saying. So love songs, to so many, seem cloying and even immature. Societies can turn back--witness the Puritans and their influence, for example, or the Victorian age after the Regency. But I don't know the 21st century genie can or will ever be put back in the bottle.

    For, me some of the 70s songwriters were just genius. Take a love song like "Guinevere". Haunting, layered, pure songwriting genius IMO. I don't hear anything like it today.

     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OldLady
    Offline

    OldLady Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2015
    Messages:
    46,297
    Thanks Received:
    8,276
    Trophy Points:
    2,070
    Ratings:
    +37,394
    I'm not being a smart ass, Mindful--this is one of my favorite love songs these days. It's a clever way to put it, I think. I put up a vid with the lyrics in case it's new to you.
     
  5. SweetSue92
    Offline

    SweetSue92 Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2018
    Messages:
    4,962
    Thanks Received:
    1,031
    Trophy Points:
    270
    Location:
    USA
    Ratings:
    +5,096
    Country Music is really where the love songs are being written these days. Some of them really good, some of them not. I've always been partial to this one myself.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. OldLady
    Offline

    OldLady Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2015
    Messages:
    46,297
    Thanks Received:
    8,276
    Trophy Points:
    2,070
    Ratings:
    +37,394
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Mindful
    Offline

    Mindful Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Messages:
    20,315
    Thanks Received:
    5,636
    Trophy Points:
    420
    Location:
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Ratings:
    +35,649
    I like the stories those songs tell. Bitter sweet.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mindful
    Offline

    Mindful Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Messages:
    20,315
    Thanks Received:
    5,636
    Trophy Points:
    420
    Location:
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Ratings:
    +35,649
     
  9. Mindful
    Offline

    Mindful Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2014
    Messages:
    20,315
    Thanks Received:
    5,636
    Trophy Points:
    420
    Location:
    Here, there, and everywhere.
    Ratings:
    +35,649
    A lovely walk through the Luxembourg Gardens.

     
  10. Natural Citizen
    Offline

    Natural Citizen Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2016
    Messages:
    6,521
    Thanks Received:
    1,467
    Trophy Points:
    390
    Ratings:
    +5,764
    It's true, it sure is a lost art.
     

Share This Page