Louisiana Student Sues School Over Prayer

MizMolly

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2009
Arkansas
Louisiana student says prayer was forced at school, so she sued - CNN

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance. I said the Pledge in school, I still do in public places. However, what I do not believe in is teachers including religion of any kind in their curriculum unless it is a religion-based school. If someone doesn't like the Pledge, don't participate. Too many people are butt hurt over every little issue. Stop whining about something that doesn't hurt you.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance. I said the Pledge in school, I still do in public places. However, When I do not believe teachers should include religion of any kind in their curriculum unless it is a religion-based school. If someone doesn't like the Pledge, don't participate. Too many people are butt hurt over every little issue. Stop whining about something that doesn't hurt you.

Scary thought they need more cow bells instead

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance. I said the Pledge in school, I still do in public places. However, what I do not believe in is teachers including religion of any kind in their curriculum unless it is a religion-based school. If someone doesn't like the Pledge, don't participate. Too many people are butt hurt over every little issue. Stop whining about something that doesn't hurt you.

She's right too. What I read didn't mention a problem with the PofA, but that in effect is a prayer too, in worship of a fetish. Or as that there bible calls it a "graven image".

Indoctrination hurts everybody.

Indeed. That's why she sued, innit? Although I'm sure attorneys have a more lofty legal term for "horseshit".

In actuality, she doesn't have to say the prayer, or even stand during it. She sits down. Her complaint is that she has to listen while others say it. (She is now agnostic.)

I don't know the policy in Louisiana, but in California no one is required to stand for the Pledge, or even be in the room when the Pledge is said.

Quick question......................granted, she doesn't like saying the Lord's Prayer in public school, but what if she were Jewish or Buddhist, or possibly even Muslim? Saying that prayer would go against everything those faiths believe, because it's uniquely Christian.

If you want to have the schools say the pledge of allegiance, fine, it's part of our culture and country.

However..................being forced to sit in a room while people are praying something that you don't believe is b.s. What's even worse is the crap she's catching from other students for not wanting to pray.

Quick question......................granted, she doesn't like saying the Lord's Prayer in public school, but what if she were Jewish or Buddhist, or possibly even Muslim? Saying that prayer would go against everything those faiths believe, because it's uniquely Christian.

If you want to have the schools say the pledge of allegiance, fine, it's part of our culture and country.

However..................being forced to sit in a room while people are praying something that you don't believe is b.s. What's even worse is the crap she's catching from other students for not wanting to pray.

BINGO. Which is exactly what I mean by 'indoctrination'.

Mob mentality is the direct opposite of what schools should be teaching.

FORCED to do prayer? What a load of horseshit

Indeed. That's why she sued, innit? Although I'm sure attorneys have a more lofty legal term for "horseshit".
I hope she wins if that's what happened.

If you had read the link, you would have seen that while she's not being forced to pray, she still has to remain in the room while others are standing and praying. And, because of her beliefs and refusal to pray the Lord's Prayer, she is being bullied and harassed for it.

I hope she wins.

Quick answer, and I am answering only for myself. I wouldn't mind in the least if a prayer from another faith was said in my presence. If a prayer was said to Satan, I would get up and leave the room. Ever wonder why it is only atheists, agnostics, and Christians who don't like the wording of another denomination's prayer quarrel about prayer?

How about teaching respect and tolerance? Or would that be 'indoctrination'?

So, it is the so-called Christians harassing her. Shame on them.

Quick answer, and I am answering only for myself. I wouldn't mind in the least if a prayer from another faith was said in my presence. If a prayer was said to Satan, I would get up and leave the room. Ever wonder why it is only atheists, agnostics, and Christians who don't like the wording of another denomination's prayer quarrel about prayer?

Chances are you are Christian. But, like I said, if she were Jewish or Muslim, saying or being in a room where everyone is saying that prayer would be kind of an affront to them. YOU might be okay with it, but not everyone would.

How about teaching respect and tolerance? Or would that be 'indoctrination'?

Certainly not. Those are social values.

Indoctrination is where you force little kids to stand there and murmur a prayer to an imaginary sky pixie followed by a fetish prayer to a piece of cloth, as if there's no alternative view of either allowed. The reverse of it ---- which is after all what a school should EXIST for if it must exist at all --- is to teach critical thinking. And critical thinking means you must consider the alternatives. Matter of fact "teaching tolerance" --- as you just suggested --- demands critical thinking, whereas teaching mob mentality, again, demands the opposite.

Schools victimizing kids by immersing them in robot-think are doing the direct opposite of what they should be doing. All that does is create robots.

A prayer, a pledge, any aspiration at all, has to be voluntary to be valid. It can't be coerced and be legitimate.

Last edited:
This is a clear violation of the Establishment Clause. The conduct by the school is evidence that they simply do not care as long as they can push religion. The teacher's wall displays also create a hostile environment. Those responsible should know this a clear violation of any students rights.

Chances are you are Christian. But, like I said, if she were Jewish or Muslim, saying or being in a room where everyone is saying that prayer would be kind of an affront to them. YOU might be okay with it, but not everyone would.

I am not okay with all the normal, everyday cursing that is uttered in front of me. So what. Not everything is about the "me". We can all learn respect and tolerance--especially when we are the one in the room that is marching to a different drummer. Why would a unique person want to destroy their uniqueness by insisting everyone else be like them?

This is a clear violation of the Establishment Clause. The conduct by the school is evidence that they simply do not care as long as they can push religion. The teacher's wall displays also create a hostile environment. Those responsible should know this a clear violation of any students rights.

We gotta stop agreeing like this Admiral. It could bring about the Apocalypse!

But you're right. Pushing any one religion over another is a violation of the student's rights.

Forum List

Back