Louisiana Schools to Report Parents Who Don't Pay Up for School Lunch

Discussion in 'Education' started by Middleman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    What do you think? If a parent sends their kids without a lunch, or money to pay for a school lunch, and fails to pay, then they get reported to child services, if they have been deemed able to pay.

Yet, parents who are flaky, but broke enough to have free lunches, get off Scott-free. Something seems unfair about that. Meanwhile, flaky parents who can afford to pay are bilking the school district out of over $200,000 yearly. But, some of the kids are forgetting to let their folks know that they owe money.

I know that in the past, our accounts have run out of money at the school, and my kids failed to let me know. Nowadays, the schools like the kids to each have an account and pay ahead of time.

Louisiana Schools to Report Parents Who Don't Pay Up for School Lunch - FoxNews.com

2. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    ick...yeah its a toughy but i'm inclined to side with the schools. the parents should feed their kids, whether it is packed or bought at the cafeteria.

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    If you aren't feeding your kids, whether you're sending them out the door or keeping them at home, it's neglect. I have a problem with it, and it should be reported.

4. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    In some cases, the kids might be forgetting their lunch. In many cases, the parents leave the house before the kids to get to work. The kids leave and forget their lunch. Hard working families are under a lot of pressure. A parent can't always leave work just to deliver a lunch. Sometimes kids are going back and forth between Mom and Dad's house, and everyone is trying to cope.

Meanwhile, Welfare Mama sits on her butt all day watching Oprah and People's Court, she can run to the Emergency Room without a care, school lunches provided free, and public housing too if she needs it.

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I grew up on Free Lunches. Trust me, "without a care" doesn't even come close to describing home life. I remember weeks in the summer when school was out that lunch was bread and butter sandwiches, provided it was a day we could afford lunch. I recall a week or two in there where we went down to 2 meals a day.

So yeah, I'm not sure where you get off characterizing the poor that way, but its not even close to true. I worked hard to make sure my kid won't grow up the way I did.

If you can afford to feed your kids, and you're not taking the effort to make sure they have food at school, it is neglect, and it needs to be reported.

6. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Well, I'm with you, but

How do you know the kid didn't through his PB&J away and decided to "Buy Lunch" because it was Pizza Day?

Should the public pay for the kid's pizza?

No: Parents need to pay for their kids, for christssake.......ALL parents.

And schools should get out of the business of serving lunches. What a huge fucking part of a school district's budget!!!!
    Paying for the purchase and distribution of food:
    Accounting for food$:
    $erving Food:
    Cleaning food$:
    Di$posing of Food Waste.

Its a helluva lot of money for the public to pay for parents who cannot make a fucking PB&J sammich for Juanita or teach little Cornelius to make his own bologna and cheese.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    You folks actually expect parents to take personal responsibility for their children?

Just wow.

8. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I'd rather hold public schools hostage to Federal Free and Reduced Meal Handouts.:cool:

9. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,124
    That'll go on their permanent record...

10. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179

"But critics say the paperwork will be costly -- possibly more costly than paying for the school lunch. And they're angry that the taxpayers will have to foot the bill."

Wingnuts are going to reduce the deficit by increasing spending :cuckoo: