Louisiana rep: Declaration of Independence is 'racist'

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Louisiana rep causes outrage by implying Declaration of Independence is racist: Politician says students shouldn't recite it as it was conceived in time of slavery
  • Bill proposed students between 4th and 6th grade recite passage every day
  • Barbara Norton argued against it, pointing out the inequalities that persisted despite document's famous line that 'all men are created equal'
  • Literacy laws in Jim Crow era also disenfranchised black people, asking them to read or recite from the Declaration of Independence before voting
  • Valarie Hodges shelved the bill and called amendments suggesting students recite other historial texts 'poison pills'
  • She said memorizing the passage was as important as Math, English, or conjugating verbs

A Louisiana lawmaker argued against a bill requiring public school students to recite excerpts from the Declaration of Independence because 'only Caucasians were free' at the time it was penned.

While the Declaration of Independence states 'all men are created equal', it took nearly a century later before the 15th amendment allowed men regardless of 'race, color, or previous condition of servitude' to vote.

Barbara Norton said it was 'unfair' to require children to recite the founding document, given it was written when slavery was still widespread.

Republican representative Valarie Hodges shelved the bill, which required public school students in grades four, five and six to recite a passage every day.

34B8852300000578-3614267-image-m-68_1464456311801.jpg

Read more: Louisiana rep implies declaration of independence is racist
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Look at that beautiful face.

Louisiana rep causes outrage by implying Declaration of Independence is racist: Politician says students shouldn't recite it as it was conceived in time of slavery
  • Barbara Norton argued against it, pointing out the inequalities that persisted despite document's famous line that 'all men are created equal'
  • Literacy laws in Jim Crow era also disenfranchised black people, asking them to read or recite from the Declaration of Independence before voting
  • Valarie Hodges shelved the bill and called amendments suggesting students recite other historial texts 'poison pills'
  • She said memorizing the passage was as important as Math, English, or conjugating verbs

A Louisiana lawmaker argued against a bill requiring public school students to recite excerpts from the Declaration of Independence because 'only Caucasians were free' at the time it was penned.

While the Declaration of Independence states 'all men are created equal', it took nearly a century later before the 15th amendment allowed men regardless of 'race, color, or previous condition of servitude' to vote.

Barbara Norton said it was 'unfair' to require children to recite the founding document, given it was written when slavery was still widespread.

Republican representative Valarie Hodges shelved the bill, which required public school students in grades four, five and six to recite a passage every day.

Racist? No. Sexist? yes.

Hmmmm so if the Fourteenth Amendment was passed in 1868
but the Civil Rights act wasn't passed until 1964. Does that
mean the Fourteenth Amendment is racist since it existed
at a time of segregation and didn't fully recognize equal accommodations?

Where does this end?

Our laws make it illegal to murder,
but murder is still going on, so we should throw those laws out?

The D of I has absolutely no standing the US. This would be like reciting the Mayflower Compact. Useless. Dumb.

The D of I has absolutely no standing the US. This would be like reciting the Mayflower Compact. Useless. Dumb.
can anyone be this stupid?
I mean no offense but....DAMN
Feel free to try and say the D of I has any standing, like in court? You might as well bring the Bible, or Huck Finn.

It's a purely historical document. There is no need for schoolchildren to recite it, ever.

Feel free to try and say the D of I has any standing, like in court? You might as well bring the Bible, or Huck Finn.

It's a purely historical document. There is no need for schoolchildren to recite it, ever.
global warming has no standing in court, or any geography course, or math course for that matter. Should we just drop the need for children to learn those too?
What are you afraid of, kids might actually know how this country came to be and God forbid feel a little patriotism for a country that you hate?
I guess you answered my question, someone can be that stupid.

global warming has no standing in court, or any geography course, or math course for that matter. Should we just drop the need for children to learn those too?
What are you afraid of, kids might actually know how this country came to be and God forbid feel a little patriotism for a country that you hate?
If you want them to recite something daily, recite the damn Constitution, that at least is the law of the land here.

The D of I is for a history class, a purely historical document that matters not a damn.

If you want them to recite something daily, recite the damn Constitution, that at least is the law of the land here.

The D of I is for a history class, a purely historical document that matters not a damn.
To you. But then to you, nothing that you don't agree with matters, like this country, and pride in it.
You and those like you are the reason that this country is so fucked up right now. you should leave. We Americans don't need you and would certainly be better off without you.
No offense.

To you. But then to you, nothing that you don't agree with matters, like this country, and pride in it.
You and those like you are the reason that this country is so fucked up right now. you should leave. We Americans don't need you and would certainly be better off without you.
No offense.
Any American who puts a historical document above the Constitution, isn't one.

America is a nation founded on Liberalism. If you oppose that, you aren't an American.

No offense.

America is a nation founded on Liberalism. If you oppose that, you aren't an American.
Was not founded on liberalism. it was founded on working for what you got, lower taxes and the right not to be told by the government which religion you had to follow.
Liberalism is a cancer on society, it breeds the lazy, takes from the productive and eventually destroys the quality of life that the constitution was written to preserve.

No offense.

Was not founded on liberalism. it was founded on working for what you got, lower taxes and the right not to be told by the government which religion you had to follow.
Liberalism is a cancer on society, it breeds the lazy, takes from the productive and eventually destroys the quality of life that the constitution was written to preserve.
As I said, you are not an American, and ignorant of its history. The Founding Liberals | Addicting Info | The Knowledge You Crave

Lockean Liberalism and the American Revolution | The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

Liberalism in America

And so on.

Forum List

Back