Louis Moreau Gottschalk- Forgotten…and now, remembered.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Today, I had the good fortune to visit one of my favorite haunts…the word chosen advisedly…Green-Wood Cemetery. If you have never had the luxury of a visit to Green-Wood, let me tell you, it is the final resting place of many famous, and wealthy personages. It is also one of the most original settings extant….click here:
a. green-wood cemetery - Google Search

2. Today’s attraction: Louis Moreau Gottschalk (May 8, 1829 – December 18, 1869) was an American composer and pianist, best known as a virtuoso performer of his own romantic piano works. Louis Moreau Gottschalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. During his time, Gottschalk was a rockstar! He broke with European traditions for classical music, adding a New World influence, specifically Afro-Caribbean rhythm….imagine a piece produced by Jelly roll Morton and Frederic Chopin….

a. “The novelty of his work, which displayed influences from the black and Creole cultures of New Orleans, earned Berlioz’s admiration.” The People

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEnUYeA8LQ&feature=related]Souvenir de la Havane - Louis Moreau Gottschalk - YouTube[/ame]

4. Buried at Green-Wood, within an ornate iron fence, a marble plinth supporting a winged angel, “The Angel of Music.” For a while….I mean, he’s still buried…but the statue disappeared 50 years ago.

5. So, Green-Wood spent $100,000 to have a new “Angel of Music” commissioned.

6. Today was the unveiling.

012.jpg

Everyone had tickets.....

047.jpg

Left to Right: Jill Burkee and Giancarlo Biagi, Sculptors, and Richard Moylan, President of Green-Wood.

044.jpg

The Angel of Music, herself....muses have no wings.

057-1.jpg

I paid homage to Gottschalk, and his Angel....

NYTimes:
New 'Angel' Alights on Louis Moreau Gottschalk's Brooklyn Tomb - NYTimes.com

If you are ever in Brooklyn....go see Gottscalk, an American original!

1. Today, I had the good fortune to visit one of my favorite haunts…the word chosen advisedly…Green-Wood Cemetery. If you have never had the luxury of a visit to Green-Wood, let me tell you, it is the final resting place of many famous, and wealthy personages. It is also one of the most original settings extant….click here:

2. Today’s attraction: Louis Moreau Gottschalk (May 8, 1829 – December 18, 1869) was an American composer and pianist, best known as a virtuoso performer of his own romantic piano works. Louis Moreau Gottschalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. During his time, Gottschalk was a rockstar! He broke with European traditions for classical music, adding a New World influence, specifically Afro-Caribbean rhythm….imagine a piece produced by Jelly roll Morton and Frederic Chopin….

a. “The novelty of his work, which displayed influences from the black and Creole cultures of New Orleans, earned Berlioz’s admiration.” The People

Souvenir de la Havane - Louis Moreau Gottschalk - YouTube

4. Buried at Green-Wood, within an ornate iron fence, a marble plinth supporting a winged angel, “The Angel of Music.” For a while….I mean, he’s still buried…but the statue disappeared 50 years ago.

012.jpg

047.jpg

Left to Right: Jill Burkee and Giancarlo Biagi, Sculptors, and Richard Moylan, President of Green-Wood.

044.jpg

057-1.jpg

NYTimes:

i have a couple of CD's of Louis's stuff.....good piano music....
The Banjo and Other Creole Ballads, Cuban Dances, etc., Vol. 1....
Gottschalk: A Night in the Tropics......

012.jpg

047.jpg

044.jpg

057-1.jpg

NYTimes:

Bet you knew his father was Jewish, and his mother Creole.
How did you like the new statue?

012.jpg

047.jpg

044.jpg

057-1.jpg

NYTimes:

Bet you knew his father was Jewish, and his mother Creole.
How did you like the new statue?

looks good.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYnuC6twfI&feature=relmfu]Bamboula - Louis Moreau Gottschalk - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back