Loudmouth Preacher

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Oh great, after we finally got our act together by only letting the notorious "Moses" onto campus for 3 days a year, here comes another fundy aiming to make our campus their mission. The guys stands up on a street corner in front of the cafeteria spouting that girls wearing pants are sinning, guys with long hair are sinning, sorority girls are mostly "whores," piercings are sin, being Catholic is a sin, and that he never sins. Every time one of these guys comes to campus, several students have to make it their mission to debate the guy openly and publicly just to show that the campus Christian groups are against him to stem the tide of anti-Christian sentiment that goes around campus for a month thereafter. There's nothing any of us can say to get him to leave. He justifies his presence by the crowd that usually gathers, but he attempts to discredit and defame anyone who claims his methods are counterproductive.

He's debunked on a quarter-hourly basis, but ignores it. The debunking is to prove to students that the campus Christian groups don't support him. It's damage control.

The best way to de-bunk him is by NOBODY talking to him.

If he sees that he gets no reaction, no debate, no nothing, then his purpose there is moot.

People arguing with him gives him a pulpit to preach.

No arguing - no pulpit.

Hobbit said:
He's debunked on a quarter-hourly basis, but ignores it. The debunking is to prove to students that the campus Christian groups don't support him. It's damage control.

What's wrong with this picture? The mindset is that Christians have to PROVE they don't follow every quack that sleezes in out of the rain and claims to represent Christianity.

I for one don't get apologist mentality.

out of curiousity since when can preachers just go on campus? i was under the impression that they needed permission.

out of curiousity since when can preachers just go on campus? i was under the impression that they needed permission.

It's public land (state university), so the rules change depending on the campus. This campus was open until the first rowdy preacher came and they were forced to rule that speakers not sponsored by a registered student organization (RSO) only get 3 days total per semester, a ruling they were sued (unsuccessfully) for, and since no RSO in their right minds would sponsor this guy, he uses his 3 days and leaves.

What's wrong with this picture? The mindset is that Christians have to PROVE they don't follow every quack that sleezes in out of the rain and claims to represent Christianity.

I for one don't get apologist mentality.

It's pretty much a requirement. The first time this happened on this campus, it took a month to repair the damage because people who had believed the stories that Christians were all hate-mongering, self righteous, jerks all had justification for those views. After the first time, when I tried reaching people as I always had, I was accused of playing good cop/bad cop. Now we run damage control so people won't get the wrong impression of us.

It's not really an apologist mentality, it's more of a disavowing mentality.

Forum List

Back