Lott vs. Reid...you decide

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks but the democrats defened the racist sounding people in theirs?

That truth goes counter to MANY claims by democrats on this very forum ;).

Kinda. I think a portion of the GOP used Lott's comments to unseat him. As I recall, when Lott was removed and Frist installed, there weren't a lot of tears shed. I think that if Lott had been a rank and file GOP'er, he'd have probably been left in the cold on his own. I don't think he'd have been kicked out, but I also don't think they'd have defended him.

That isn't without basis. Lott was removed from leadership, but still ran pretty much unopposed after that.

On the Democrat side, I think that they're being short sided. Normally a racist comment would be the end of your political career on this side, if for no other reason than your base would lynch you. No work required by your fellow elected officials. However, Reid as Majority Leader is getting a free pass on this one.

That's pretty stupid on the DNC's part as:
1. Its a pretty public display of hypocrisy.
2. Reid's a terrible majority leader.

Make sense?

What problems?

Strom, ran as a race baiting segregationist. Trent Lott, was backing Jim Crow type attitudes. Blaming rights for blacks for Americals problems.

Reid is stating what makes whites comfortable about blacks in politics in America today..

Reid, is speaking to an uncomfortable aspect of race in America.

If we are to ever have a true dialogue, we need to silence the race baiters who are saying Reid's comments were racist.

Racism implies harm. What harm did Reid advocate? What harm would his words, taken in any context, convey?

Trent Lott may or may not like black folks, but the only message one can take away from his comments is one of racism.

Can you explain how LOTT's comments were NOT racist?

So let me see if I got this right...Lott doesn't use a single racially motivated word like african american or negro and you read all that racial bullshit into the word "problems"?

And then you turn around and interpret Reid's stereotyped statement as a way to make whites more comfortable with blacks in politics? Yet THAT in and of itself is not racist? Come on!!!

The only message that can be taken away from Lott's statement is that a different man in office would have yielded different and better circumstances...

Actually, how racist of you to assume that Lott's usage of "problems" was directed at black folks??? MY GOD! Do you iron your sheet before you put it on? Or do you just go "as is". White and problem free.

And for the record, if Reid was making the reference that you so brilliantly described, then why did he feel it was important to personally apologize to Obama? Only the guilty should apologize. Apparently he knew he was guilty.

Wow, how can you let slip by the morst important facts.

Strom Thurmond wanted to keep the country segregated. That was "conservative principles. Not really much different today, if you go by the make up of the Republican Party. That is what Thurmond was known for. That is what he was proud of.

If you are so convinced that is NOT what Trent was talking about, perhaps you could "enlighten" us as to Thurmond's "major" accomplishments? As well as what "direction" he wanted to take the country?

You send someone a box of poo, perfumed and giftwrapped. You never call it poo. That doesn't mean it's not poo. Racist policies are "poo", whatever they are called.

The Spike Lee movie, "School Daze", covers exactly what Reid was talking about.

Dean,

Unlike many people here on USMB, I'm not a mind reader...I don't know what Lott was saying because I don't know what he was thinking... the point is interpretation. He very well may have been pointing at Thurmond's segregationalist attitude or just the fact that he like'd ol' Thurm and wished he had been voted as president because he thought he could have done a better job...that fact is this...a whole lot of people sent Trent Lott to the political guillotine for using praising words of a segregationalist. Who, by the way, wasn't the first in American politics. There are some in office now most likely...though they keep in on the down low for fear of ending up just like Lott. The point of my post was and is very simple. Lott said NOTHING direct, but Reid was BLATANTLY direct and the witch hunt didn't follow Reid. I wonder why is all...

As for Thurmond's achievements...he was the oldest acting Senator and served the longest consecutive senate seat with 48 years in office at that time. He was surpassed by Byrd in the longest held seat. He was awared the Spirit of Hope award in 1998 and served the senate seat of SC until 2003. Yes, he was a staunch segregationalist and probably remained one till he died...except for that time way back when he was boffing the maid and got her pregnant. He wasn't too segregated then now was he?

I make no excuses for Thurmond's views on race. You can't. It was out there.

What problems?

Strom, ran as a race baiting segregationist. Trent Lott, was backing Jim Crow type attitudes. Blaming rights for blacks for Americals problems.

Reid is stating what makes whites comfortable about blacks in politics in America today..

Reid, is speaking to an uncomfortable aspect of race in America.

If we are to ever have a true dialogue, we need to silence the race baiters who are saying Reid's comments were racist.

Racism implies harm. What harm did Reid advocate? What harm would his words, taken in any context, convey?

Trent Lott may or may not like black folks, but the only message one can take away from his comments is one of racism.

Can you explain how LOTT's comments were NOT racist?

So let me see if I got this right...Lott doesn't use a single racially motivated word like african american or negro and you read all that racial bullshit into the word "problems"?

And then you turn around and interpret Reid's stereotyped statement as a way to make whites more comfortable with blacks in politics? Yet THAT in and of itself is not racist? Come on!!!

The only message that can be taken away from Lott's statement is that a different man in office would have yielded different and better circumstances...

Actually, how racist of you to assume that Lott's usage of "problems" was directed at black folks??? MY GOD! Do you iron your sheet before you put it on? Or do you just go "as is". White and problem free.

And for the record, if Reid was making the reference that you so brilliantly described, then why did he feel it was important to personally apologize to Obama? Only the guilty should apologize. Apparently he knew he was guilty.

Are you by any chance familiar with the concept of "political code words?"

States Rights

"problems" as related to segregation

separate but equal

"those people"

"you people"

Political code words uncoded | Augusta Free Press

PPS Equity » Archive » Racial code words for dummies

Coded prejudice is cloaked dagger - chicagotribune.com

What Reagan meant by "states' rights." - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine

Along with race words, there are gender bias words:

He is hard driving and agressive, she is a ball-busting bitch, and so on

There used to be a list but I cannot find it...

So Lott was speaking in code....OOOOOKAYY!!! Didn't realize he was a segregational double agent.

I'm such a racist!!! I use the word "problems" all the time and never knew it!!! Holy cow!!! I think I may have even use the term "YOU PEOPLE" here when talking to liberals. OMG!!! I'm so sorry I didn't realize that I was calling "YOU PEOPLE" a racist name!

How can YOU PEOPLE ever forgive me of my PROBLEM with the English language!?!?!

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks but the democrats defened the racist sounding people in theirs?

That truth goes counter to MANY claims by democrats on this very forum ;).

Kinda. I think a portion of the GOP used Lott's comments to unseat him. As I recall, when Lott was removed and Frist installed, there weren't a lot of tears shed. I think that if Lott had been a rank and file GOP'er, he'd have probably been left in the cold on his own. I don't think he'd have been kicked out, but I also don't think they'd have defended him.

That isn't without basis. Lott was removed from leadership, but still ran pretty much unopposed after that.

On the Democrat side, I think that they're being short sided. Normally a racist comment would be the end of your political career on this side, if for no other reason than your base would lynch you. No work required by your fellow elected officials. However, Reid as Majority Leader is getting a free pass on this one.

That's pretty stupid on the DNC's part as:
1. Its a pretty public display of hypocrisy.
2. Reid's a terrible majority leader.

Make sense?

yeah that makes sense to me.

Dean,

Unlike many people here on USMB, I'm not a mind reader...I don't know what Lott was saying because I don't know what he was thinking... the point is interpretation. He very well may have been pointing at Thurmond's segregationalist attitude or just the fact that he like'd ol' Thurm and wished he had been voted as president because he thought he could have done a better job...that fact is this...a whole lot of people sent Trent Lott to the political guillotine for using praising words of a segregationalist.

I make no excuses for Thurmond's views on race. You can't. It was out there.

what don't you get?

[States' Rights Democratic Party nomination

The Southern Democrats who had bolted the Democratic Convention over Truman's civil rights platform promptly met at Municipal Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama and formed yet another political party, which they named the "States' Rights" Democratic Party. More commonly known as the “Dixiecrats”, the party's main goal was continuing the policy of racial segregation in the South and the Jim Crow laws that sustained it. South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, who had led the walkout, became the party's presidential nominee. Mississippi Governor Fielding L. Wright received the vice presidential nomination. The Dixiecrats had no chance of winning the election themselves since they were not on the ballot in enough states. Their strategy was to take enough Southern states from Truman to force the election into the United States House of Representatives, where they could then extract concessions from either Truman or Dewey on racial issues in exchange for their support. Even if Dewey won the election outright, the Dixiecrats hoped that their defection would show that the Democratic Party needed Southern support in order to win national elections, and that this fact would weaken the pro-civil rights movement among Northern and Western Democrats. However, the Dixiecrats were weakened when most Southern Democratic leaders (such as Governor Herman Talmadge of Georgia and "Boss" Edward H. Crump of Tennessee) refused to support the party. Despite being an incumbent President, Truman was not placed on the ballot in Alabama.[4]

I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either.
-trent lott

The platform we had in Dallas, the 1984 Republican platform, all the ideas we supported there - from tax policy, to foreign policy; from individual rights, to neighborhood security - are things that Jefferson Davis and his people believed in.
Trent Lott
----------------
A poor choice of words conveyed to some the impression that I embrace the discarded policies of the past. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by my statement.
Trent Lott
Thurmond supported extending the Voting Rights Act, making the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. a federal holiday[2] and he was the first southern senator to appoint a black aide. However, he never explicitly renounced his earlier views on racial segregation.[3][9]

Thurmond supported racial segregation with the longest filibuster ever conducted by a single Senator, speaking for 24 hours and 18 minutes in an unsuccessful attempt to derail the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Cots were brought in from a nearby hotel for the legislators to sleep on while Thurmond rambled on about random things, including his grandmother's biscuit recipe. Other Southern Senators, who had agreed as part of a compromise not to filibuster this bill, were upset with Thurmond because they thought his defiance made them look bad to their constituents.[6]

According to journalist Jeff Sharlet, he was a member of the Family (also known as the Fellowship), described by prominent evangelical Christians as one of the most politically well-connected fundamentalist organizations in the U.S.[7]
[edit]1960s

Strom Thurmond, c. 1961
Throughout the 1960s, Thurmond generally received relatively low marks from the press and his fellow Senators in the performance of his Senate duties, as he often missed votes and rarely proposed or sponsored noteworthy legislation.

Thurmond was increasingly at odds with the Democratic Party. On September 16, 1964, he switched his party affiliation to Republican.

Are you by any chance familiar with the concept of "political code words?"

States Rights

"problems" as related to segregation

separate but equal

"those people"

"you people"

Political code words uncoded | Augusta Free Press

PPS Equity » Archive » Racial code words for dummies

Coded prejudice is cloaked dagger - chicagotribune.com

What Reagan meant by "states' rights." - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine

Along with race words, there are gender bias words:

He is hard driving and agressive, she is a ball-busting bitch, and so on

There used to be a list but I cannot find it...

So Lott was speaking in code....OOOOOKAYY!!! Didn't realize he was a segregational double agent.

I'm such a racist!!! I use the word "problems" all the time and never knew it!!! Holy cow!!! I think I may have even use the term "YOU PEOPLE" here when talking to liberals. OMG!!! I'm so sorry I didn't realize that I was calling "YOU PEOPLE" a racist name!

How can YOU PEOPLE ever forgive me of my PROBLEM with the English language!?!?!

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

not exactly.

Here is what Lott was backing...segergation:
More commonly known as the “Dixiecrats”, the party's main goal was continuing the policy of racial segregation in the South and the Jim Crow laws that sustained it. South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, who had led the walkout, became the party's presidential nominee.
I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either.
-Trent Lott

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Trent Lott

Reid said in an interview - "the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately. Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination." 'Game Change' by Harry Reid

Someone PLEASE explain to me how Reid isn't guilty of racism...and then, if you can, prove to me the Lott was.

The Senior DemocRAT and "Conscience of the Senate", also a Former Grand Kleagle in the KKK who Filibustered Against Civil Rights for Blacks as a Senator, Robert Byrd (D-KKK) in the last 10 Years: "There are White *******".

And they continue to Praise him as being "Great" for ANYTIME in our County's History!

Go DemocRATS!

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back