Lott vs. Reid...you decide

They're both much about nothing. Lott was making a joke at a private party... and Reid meant nothing bad, just apparantly didn't get the memo about the word "negro".

Geeze Louise... now, the Clinton comment is another matter. Pretty telling if you ask me.

I think the biggest difference in the outcomes of both of these situations is what the white house did in response.

Lott was thrown under the bus by the Bush administration because they wanted him out of control, they wanted a yes man in charge of the Senate so they could ram through their policies (they got that with Frist).

Reid was saved by the Obama administration simpley because if they hadn't, there would be absolutely no chance for their health care reform plans to get through the Congress.

In both cases the White House acted on politics...results differed based on the what they were attempting to get done at the time. If the Bush team needed Lott, they would have backed him and the story wouldhave died. If the Obama team didn't need Reid, they could very eaisly have made him the scapegoat, and Reid would have resigned his leadership role yesterday.

-TSO

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Trent Lott

Reid said in an interview - "the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately. Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination." 'Game Change' by Harry Reid

Someone PLEASE explain to me how Reid isn't guilty of racism...and then, if you can, prove to me the Lott was.

They both said things that sound bad in my opinion.

Lott sounds like he is saying segregationalism was a good thing reid sounds like he is calling americans racist against very dark black people.

What problems?

Strom, ran as a race baiting segregationist. Trent Lott, was backing Jim Crow type attitudes. Blaming rights for blacks for Americals problems.

Reid is stating what makes whites comfortable about blacks in politics in America today..

Reid, is speaking to an uncomfortable aspect of race in America.

If we are to ever have a true dialogue, we need to silence the race baiters who are saying Reid's comments were racist.

Racism implies harm. What harm did Reid advocate? What harm would his words, taken in any context, convey?

Trent Lott may or may not like black folks, but the only message one can take away from his comments is one of racism.

Can you explain how LOTT's comments were NOT racist?

Unbelievable. Lott simple said some nice things about a VERY old man on his Birthday to make him feel good. And you dumb asses come away with that shit.

I repeat if some Republican had said what Reid said you and the rest of the Liberal democrats would be howling for his blood. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be organizing rallies and boycotts. Obama would not be accepting any apology from said Republican. The NAACP would be demanding the Republican be kicked out of office.

The party that howled for Lott's blood was the republican party, not the democrats. He embarrassed them. They also wanted to get rid of him for Frist (and that was the real motivating factor). Thurmond was a staunch segregationist, and desegregation (and the civil rights movement) was the "problems" that supposedly would have been avoided.
Yep, it was Rove and Bush that used the issue to push Trent out...

txlonghorn:

When Strom Thurmond ran for president, Vince Young would NOT have been allowed to step foot on the UT campus unless he was carrying a mop and bucket.

The State told all its citizens the blacks were inferior to whites in all respects.
Physically. Mentally. Morally.

Thurmond and Lott subscribed to those lies for most (all) of their lives.

Dingy Harry, by contrast, is another venal, corporate whore who deserves to draw his last breath in Leavenworth, but he's never been confused about the humanity of blacks.

Are You???

No...is Reid? I think so. My point is that the words Lott used and the words Reid used were drastically different and that because he was speaking about Thurmond, he was immediately run out of office. But Reid gets a pass because his blatant misjudgement of vocabulary is excused becaus of his party affiliation.

As Vince Young, I think you are grabbing at straws and I find it funny.

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Trent Lott
What problems?

Strom, ran as a race baiting segregationist. Trent Lott, was backing Jim Crow type attitudes. Blaming rights for blacks for Americals problems.

Reid is stating what makes whites comfortable about blacks in politics in America today..

Someone PLEASE explain to me how Reid isn't guilty of racism...and then, if you can, prove to me the Lott was.

If we are to ever have a true dialogue, we need to silence the race baiters who are saying Reid's comments were racist.

Racism implies harm. What harm did Reid advocate? What harm would his words, taken in any context, convey?

Trent Lott may or may not like black folks, but the only message one can take away from his comments is one of racism.

So let me see if I got this right...Lott doesn't use a single racially motivated word like african american or negro and you read all that racial bullshit into the word "problems"?

And then you turn around and interpret Reid's stereotyped statement as a way to make whites more comfortable with blacks in politics? Yet THAT in and of itself is not racist? Come on!!!

The only message that can be taken away from Lott's statement is that a different man in office would have yielded different and better circumstances...

Actually, how racist of you to assume that Lott's usage of "problems" was directed at black folks??? MY GOD! Do you iron your sheet before you put it on? Or do you just go "as is". White and problem free.

And for the record, if Reid was making the reference that you so brilliantly described, then why did he feel it was important to personally apologize to Obama? Only the guilty should apologize. Apparently he knew he was guilty.

Wow, how can you let slip by the morst important facts.

Strom Thurmond wanted to keep the country segregated. That was "conservative principles. Not really much different today, if you go by the make up of the Republican Party. That is what Thurmond was known for. That is what he was proud of.

If you are so convinced that is NOT what Trent was talking about, perhaps you could "enlighten" us as to Thurmond's "major" accomplishments? As well as what "direction" he wanted to take the country?

You send someone a box of poo, perfumed and giftwrapped. You never call it poo. That doesn't mean it's not poo. Racist policies are "poo", whatever they are called.

The Spike Lee movie, "School Daze", covers exactly what Reid was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lott is supporting a racist, Reid is facing the reality that is America. If you cannot see the difference, that is on you and not part of the ongoing issue of race in America.

Sweeping Away Lott's Racist Record

"And Lott's legislative record demonstrates that his connections to the CCC were no fluke. In 1978, then-Representative Lott was behind a successful effort to re-instate the citizenship of Confederate President Jefferson Davis (AP, 6/2/78). In 1981, Lott prodded the Reagan administration to restore tax exemptions for Bob Jones University and other segregated private schools (Washington Post, 1/18/82).

In 1982 and 1990, Lott voted against extending the Voting Rights Act, the law passed to ensure that minorities--especially Southern blacks--had access to the voting booth. In 1983, he voted against a national holiday for Martin Luther King Jr., and in 1994 he voted to de-fund the MLK Jr. Holiday commission. In 1990, Lott voted against continuation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the crown jewel of civil-rights legislation that desegregated education and public accommodations."

>

Obama supported a man for 20 years that is well known for making racist comments. He said he was his spiritual mentor. [Rev. Wright]

Obama has been guilty of spouting racist stereotypes over the years and his books ooze racism.

Michelle Obama wrote a racist thesis in college....not a thesis on racism...A RACIST THESIS. http://www.hellnobama.com/michelleobamathesis_part1.pdf

It talks often of White Conservatism....like being a conservative is a white-only trait.
Uh oh!

wahmbulance.jpg

What problems?

So let me see if I got this right...Lott doesn't use a single racially motivated word like african american or negro and you read all that racial bullshit into the word "problems"?

And then you turn around and interpret Reid's stereotyped statement as a way to make whites more comfortable with blacks in politics? Yet THAT in and of itself is not racist? Come on!!!

The only message that can be taken away from Lott's statement is that a different man in office would have yielded different and better circumstances...

Actually, how racist of you to assume that Lott's usage of "problems" was directed at black folks??? MY GOD! Do you iron your sheet before you put it on? Or do you just go "as is". White and problem free.

And for the record, if Reid was making the reference that you so brilliantly described, then why did he feel it was important to personally apologize to Obama? Only the guilty should apologize. Apparently he knew he was guilty.

Are you by any chance familiar with the concept of "political code words?"

States Rights

"problems" as related to segregation

separate but equal

"those people"

"you people"

Political code words uncoded | Augusta Free Press

PPS Equity » Archive » Racial code words for dummies

Coded prejudice is cloaked dagger - chicagotribune.com

What Reagan meant by "states' rights." - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine

Along with race words, there are gender bias words:

He is hard driving and agressive, she is a ball-busting bitch, and so on

There used to be a list but I cannot find it...

Reid said in an interview - "the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately. Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination." 'Game Change' by Harry Reid

Lott sounds like he is saying segregationalism was a good thing reid sounds like he is calling americans racist against very dark black people.

A whole shitload of Americans ARE racist against very dark black people!

A whole shitload of Americans ARE racist against very dark black people!

I have evidence that those people are a minority...his name is Barack Obama.

Its no secret that since Bush/DeLay/Frist I've leaned Democrat. However, even I have to admit that if Reid's name was followed by an "R" he'd be on the way out.

Funny thing is: Lott's own party used his stupid comment to oust him when they could have lined up behind him and kept him in his job. Reid's party probably should use this comment to oust him as he's a terrible Senate Majority Leader on top of everything else.

Its no secret that since Bush/DeLay/Frist I've leaned Democrat. However, even I have to admit that if Reid's name was followed by an "R" he'd be on the way out.

Funny thing is: Lott's own party used his stupid comment to oust him when they could have lined up behind him and kept him in his job. Reid's party probably should use this comment to oust him as he's a terrible Senate Majority Leader on top of everything else.

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks but the democrats defened the racist sounding people in theirs?

That truth goes counter to MANY claims by democrats on this very forum ;).

Reid's party probably should use this comment to oust him as he's a terrible Senate Majority Leader on top of everything else.

But they won't. They need him to help the healthcare bill alive. Besides, he's done. He won't be getting re-elected in Nevada, so once this term is over...he's done for good.

-TSO

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks...

If that were true there'd be very few (if any) members left. The GOP threw out people who went public with their racism.

I got mad at my best boss once because he refused to bar someone who tried to throw a chair at me. He said, "Barbara, I can't kick the assholes out...if assholes could fly, this would be an airport." I couldn't get too mad at him anyway, as death threats (there was only the one) were dismissed with, "you must have really pissed her off..." followed by a laugh.

What problems?

Under your post, we are supposed to go by someone 'interpretation' of what was said and not the actual words?
Because you can "connect imaginary dots" while ignoring a statement that (if made by a republican) is obviously racist is dissapointing. So much for holding libs accountable.

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks...

If that were true there'd be very few (if any) members left. The GOP threw out people who went public with their racism.

I got mad at my best boss once because he refused to bar someone who tried to throw a chair at me. He said, "Barbara, I can't kick the assholes out...if assholes could fly, this would be an airport." I couldn't get too mad at him anyway, as death threats (there was only the one) were dismissed with, "you must have really pissed her off..." followed by a laugh.

Chair throwers have rights too.

Wait so you are saying the republicans kick racist sounding people out of their ranks but the democrats defened the racist sounding people in theirs?

That truth goes counter to MANY claims by democrats on this very forum

Who, that is a current elected member of the republican party, is still in office that were racist in public comments? Names and quotes/links would be hugely appreciated.

That truth goes counter to MANY claims by democrats on this very forum

Who, that is a current elected member of the republican party, is still in office that were racist in public comments? Names and quotes/links would be hugely appreciated.

In the recent or long ago past?

Forum List

Back