Lott vs. Reid...you decide

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Trent Lott

Reid said in an interview - "the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately. Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination." 'Game Change' by Harry Reid

Someone PLEASE explain to me how Reid isn't guilty of racism...and then, if you can, prove to me the Lott was.

One is putting down black people, the other is putting down close minded white people.

Yet you can not provide a single source to back up your claim Lott was putting down black people at all. You and the press made that up. If I had been Lott I would not have apologized and I would have told all of you to grow the fuck up and mind your own business.

OK. You're missing something RGS...by libtard extrapolation thinking aka "critical thinking" since Lott said a few nice words to a Republican who at some point in his career supported segregation, it means he's a racist.

Reid on the other hand exhibited his own fears about black people and since he apologized it's all forgiven...just like the Democrats are the only party to have a sitting Senator who was a high ranking member of the KKK.:lol:

What Reid and Lott need to realize is that the right to make racially charged statements is reserved for black pastors.

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Trent Lott

Reid said in an interview - "the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately. Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination." 'Game Change' by Harry Reid

Someone PLEASE explain to me how Reid isn't guilty of racism...and then, if you can, prove to me the Lott was.

Lott has a 0% record on Civil Rights issues. Reid has a 96% record.

You fellows are complete idiots.

It really depends on which party you belong to.

If you're a Democrat it's your intentions that matter the most...not your racist comments.

If you're a member of the Tea Party...you're stupid and a racist.

I wonder why what Harry Reid said wasn't racist but calling a person who votes for Sarah Palin stupid and a racist.

I wonder why it's Okay for Bill Clinton to tell someone "A few years ago he'd be getting our coffee" and this isn't even mentioned during all of this.

I wonder why it's Okay for Harry Reid to be a Mormon but Mitt Romney it's not Okay.

I just wonder if this isn't about racism but more about the double-standards of the left.

Last edited:
Both of these situations are excellent examples of why you should always think before you speak...and then, don't speak.

One is putting down black people, the other is putting down close minded white people.

Yet you can not provide a single source to back up your claim Lott was putting down black people at all. You and the press made that up. If I had been Lott I would not have apologized and I would have told all of you to grow the fuck up and mind your own business.

What kind of a "source" could you possibly be looking for that would make you change your mind?

Other than Thurmond's platform running as a segregationist, of course.

What part of " he said it to make an old man feel good" don't you grasp.

NOW back to Reid, are you going to deny that if a Republican had said what Reid said we would be hearing all this " No harm, no foul" crap?

Double Standard indeed.

☭proletarian☭;1894608 said:
:yawn:

More stupid republicans...

Saying Obama is 'light skinned' with 'no negro dialect' is like saying I'm 'light skinned' with 'no chicano dialect'- a factual observation.

You idiots keeps wasting time with this bullshit and in the meantime we've got 12%of jewelry and trinkets from China that were tested containing 85%+ cadmium, China becoming the world's largest exporter, sit hitting the fan in Yemen...

No wonder this country is failing.

Dude....the media is the ones making this into a mountain....not us.

Forget about violence on or Southern borders. 6500 murders in 2009. Forget about that.

Harry Reid said what was on his mind and because he's protected he gets a pass. And Trent Lott got nailed not because of what he said but because of what he supposedly meant. He never said anything about Segregation yet every single black on TV says that's what he was talking about.

Yet if you ask most of them they don't want to live with Whites anyway. They want to segregate themselves. Why isn't that racist.

Sounds like hypocrisy dude.

Lott has a 0% record on Civil Rights issues. Reid has a 96% record.

You fellows are complete idiots.

I don't think your numbers are correct.

I think you assumed this instead of checked to see if it was factual.

It's a stereotype that Democrats can't be racists when they constantly remind us that they are. You're just not listening.

Lets see...

Lott is saying we would have been better off if we had remained segregated and all of our problems are due to integration

Reid is saying that a black needs to be light skinned and articulate to be elected today

That was easy

Lets see...

Lott is saying we would have been better off if we had remained segregated and all of our problems are due to integration

Reid is saying that a black needs to be light skinned and articulate to be elected today

That was easy

Lott said nothing of the kind.

Lying asshole.

Lott said this and could quite easily have meant nothing about Segregation.....nothing. He was talking about Thurmond's leadership.

Here's what he said:

Lott said “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over the years, either.”

I see nothing in that sentence indicating support for segregation, racism, or hatred for blacks. I did see specific mention of stereotypes in Reid's comments. I also saw racial context in Obama's comment that his grandmother was a "Typical White-person". Or how about the cops that busted a college professor were being "Stupid" before finding out the facts....as if white cops always hassle the brother for no probable cause. This is a stereotype with racial overtones.

I also see a great deal of assumptions where Lott is concerned and none where Obama, Bill Clinton, Harry Reid, and Joe Biden are concerned.

Last edited:
Lott is supporting a racist, Reid is facing the reality that is America. If you cannot see the difference, that is on you and not part of the ongoing issue of race in America.

Sweeping Away Lott's Racist Record

"And Lott's legislative record demonstrates that his connections to the CCC were no fluke. In 1978, then-Representative Lott was behind a successful effort to re-instate the citizenship of Confederate President Jefferson Davis (AP, 6/2/78). In 1981, Lott prodded the Reagan administration to restore tax exemptions for Bob Jones University and other segregated private schools (Washington Post, 1/18/82).

In 1982 and 1990, Lott voted against extending the Voting Rights Act, the law passed to ensure that minorities--especially Southern blacks--had access to the voting booth. In 1983, he voted against a national holiday for Martin Luther King Jr., and in 1994 he voted to de-fund the MLK Jr. Holiday commission. In 1990, Lott voted against continuation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the crown jewel of civil-rights legislation that desegregated education and public accommodations."

>

Last edited:
txlonghorn:

When Strom Thurmond ran for president, Vince Young would NOT have been allowed to step foot on the UT campus unless he was carrying a mop and bucket.

The State told all its citizens the blacks were inferior to whites in all respects.
Physically. Mentally. Morally.

Thurmond and Lott subscribed to those lies for most (all) of their lives.

Dingy Harry, by contrast, is another venal, corporate whore who deserves to draw his last breath in Leavenworth, but he's never been confused about the humanity of blacks.

Are You???

So let me see if I got this right...Lott doesn't use a single racially motivated word like african american or negro and you read all that racial bullshit into the word "problems"?
''African American'' and ''Negroe'' are racially charged words? are you mad?

Trent was talking abiut a race baiting campaign ran by Strom. That's as charged as it gets.

The whole Trent Lott speech was a rant on what America coudl've been if we had backed the man who would've kept blacks in their place.

And then you turn around and interpret Reid's stereotyped statement as a way to make whites more comfortable with blacks in politics? Yet THAT in and of itself is not racist? Come on!!!
It is obvious you do not understand the term racist or you are being silly

The only message that can be taken away from Lott's statement is that a different man in office would have yielded different and better circumstances...
Strom and Lott were saying A.erica would'be neen better of with Jim Crow laws.

Actually, how racist of you to assume that Lott's usage of "problems" was directed at black folks??? MY GOD! Do you iron your sheet before you put it on? Or do you just go "as is". White and problem free.
My sheets have shit stains on them. That and the Rebel Flag make me warm all over

And for the record, if Reid was making the reference that you so brilliantly described, then why did he feel it was important to personally apologize to Obama?
poor choice of words

Only the guilty should apologize. Apparently he knew he was guilty.
what did Reid apologize for? The black man, Obama, doesn't think it was a big deal and it's not...except for idiots like you.

howl away. most normal people think your hysterics are amusing.

you're a clown
lol

Why Michael Steele Is Wrong About Harry Reid
big clip of the article said:
Ironically, conservative intellectuals have argued against notions of "moral equivalence" for decades. Echoing those critiques, it is possible to establish a reasoned moral hierarchy between Reid's comments and Lott's. Looking at the content, context and intention of the statements, it's clear that the two cases are not equivalent and offer no evidence of a double standard at work.

In content, Reid argued that a black candidate has better odds of winning if he is "light-skinned" and doesn't speak in "Negro dialect." As I argued in my piece "Was Harry Reid Right?," scholarly research and common sense suggest both statements are true. Though many commentators have interpreted Reid's remarks as approval of racial bias in America, the quoted statement suggests nothing of the sort. There's a difference between observing a fact about how voters discriminate and agreeing with the discrimination. Or, put another way, talking about race is not the same as saying something racist.

Contrast that with Lott, who at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party (broadcast on C-SPAN), said: "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." There is no way around the fact that Lott was strongly endorsing Thurmond's segregationist Dixiecrat Party, which broke away from the Democrats in 1948. At the time, Thurmond's party platform included the statement, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race." In sum, Lott's speech supported an explicitly racist party and movement without any reservations.

Moral equivalence? Nope.

For context, consider Reid, who has no long history of making racially biased comments or "proudly" associating with bigots (though, I'm curious about what Reid, who is a Mormon, has to say about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ racist past). Even Reid's antiquated use of "Negro" isn't in-and-of-itself problematic. (See The United Negro College Fund or the National Council of Negro Women.) "Negro" can be a term of endearment from one person and an epithet from another. As I read Reid, he's simply looking for a way to refer to the distinctive intonations and pronunciations of black English. If there's evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it. More broadly, since the mid-1960s, Democrats have largely avoided appealing to anti-black sentiment in their campaigns and policies.

Lott, on the other hand, had a 40-year history of affiliating with groups that endorse racial segregation, condemn intermarriage and oppose immigration by non-whites. In particular, Lott was a longtime member of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a spinoff of the Southern white Citizens Councils that were known as the "uptown Klan." Lott spoke at their 1992 national convention and received them in his Washington office in 1997. And more generally, Republicans, though the party of Lincoln, have over the last half-century regularly appealed to anti-black sentiment in their campaigns and policies. The most famous example was George Bush's Willie Horton ad, but other examples abound. (Bob Corker's ad against Harold Ford in 2006 is a recent example.) Guilt by association would be unacceptable in a courtroom, but it's completely reasonable to look at the totality of someone's behavior over decades in evaluating fitness for national leadership. Lott's lifetime of personal associations and party activity regularly involved harnessing racial antipathy for political gain.

Moral equivalence? Not a bit.

Just as conservative jurists attempt to divine original intent when evaluating legal doctrine, Reid's and Lott's respective intentions matter, too. On the whole, Reid's comments appear to be explanatory rather than derogatory. Reid, who endorsed Obama before his 2008 statement, doesn't offer any indication of malice or mockery in his descriptions of the candidate (as compared, say, with Rush Limbaugh's broadcast of "Barack the Magic Negro").

Lets see...

That was easy

Lott said nothing of the kind.

Lying asshole.

Lott said this and could quite easily have meant nothing about Segregation.....nothing. He was talking about Thurmond's leadership.

Here's what he said:

Lott said “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over the years, either.”

I see nothing in that sentence indicating support for segregation, racism, or hatred for blacks. I did see specific mention of stereotypes in Reid's comments. I also saw racial context in Obama's comment that his grandmother was a "Typical White-person". Or how about the cops that busted a college professor were being "Stupid" before finding out the facts....as if white cops always hassle the brother for no probable cause. This is a stereotype with racial overtones.

I also see a great deal of assumptions where Lott is concerned and none where Obama, Bill Clinton, Harry Reid, and Joe Biden are concerned.

The dixiecrat partys rally cry was "Segregation Forever". Lott knew exactly what he was saying and the crowd at the event appluaded. These people KNEW Strom all his life.

What problems?

Strom, ran as a race baiting segregationist. Trent Lott, was backing Jim Crow type attitudes. Blaming rights for blacks for Americals problems.

Reid is stating what makes whites comfortable about blacks in politics in America today..

Reid, is speaking to an uncomfortable aspect of race in America.

If we are to ever have a true dialogue, we need to silence the race baiters who are saying Reid's comments were racist.

Racism implies harm. What harm did Reid advocate? What harm would his words, taken in any context, convey?

Trent Lott may or may not like black folks, but the only message one can take away from his comments is one of racism.

Can you explain how LOTT's comments were NOT racist?

Unbelievable. Lott simple said some nice things about a VERY old man on his Birthday to make him feel good. And you dumb asses come away with that shit.

I repeat if some Republican had said what Reid said you and the rest of the Liberal democrats would be howling for his blood. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be organizing rallies and boycotts. Obama would not be accepting any apology from said Republican. The NAACP would be demanding the Republican be kicked out of office.

The party that howled for Lott's blood was the republican party, not the democrats. He embarrassed them. They also wanted to get rid of him for Frist (and that was the real motivating factor). Thurmond was a staunch segregationist, and desegregation (and the civil rights movement) was the "problems" that supposedly would have been avoided.

Truth, MORE Republican/RW dishonesty and fact-changing.

Nothing new or to be alarmed about...same ole same ole.

Look I think Reid is a worthless Congressman. In fact I think he is one of the worst on the issues and intellectually. I hope he loses ever election he ever runs in.

HOWEVER, his comments are not even close to Trent Lotts comments. Regardless if Thurmond denounced his previously views, he still ran on one issue in 1948 - SEGREGATION! Trent Lott is a dispictable man for saying what he did and he deserved 10 fold everything that happen to him.

Reid, stated he was light skinned (true) and no negro dialect (also true). Why did he state this, because he was excited about the Democrats being able to put forth an African American that had good chance to win the Presidency. His comments were arrogant. Reid knew that light-skinned helps and negro dialet, would make him sound less intelligent. I don't believe he stated anything out of spite or racism on this one. Not to mention Reid is strong advocate of selling out the country to appease minorities, from welfare to hate crim legislation.

Lott voted against the MLK holiday and stated his desire to have seen a party win who only focus was segregation. Not apples to apples there.

DO NOTE: That there is a large level of hypocrisy here. If a Republican with no record of racism and in fact had a flawless record on helping minorities, stated the same thing about Michael Steele, people would be calling for his head. Sharpton would be preaching in front of the white house. The media would be enraged. Obama would have stated he spoke stupidly. The hounds would be released!

Apples and hammers. This is one more - of dozens - of efforts by the GOP to get media face time. It is another sign that the party of "No" is bereft of ideas and sees "a house divided" as an opportunity.

Lott is supporting a racist, Reid is facing the reality that is America. If you cannot see the difference, that is on you and not part of the ongoing issue of race in America.

Sweeping Away Lott's Racist Record

"And Lott's legislative record demonstrates that his connections to the CCC were no fluke. In 1978, then-Representative Lott was behind a successful effort to re-instate the citizenship of Confederate President Jefferson Davis (AP, 6/2/78). In 1981, Lott prodded the Reagan administration to restore tax exemptions for Bob Jones University and other segregated private schools (Washington Post, 1/18/82).

In 1982 and 1990, Lott voted against extending the Voting Rights Act, the law passed to ensure that minorities--especially Southern blacks--had access to the voting booth. In 1983, he voted against a national holiday for Martin Luther King Jr., and in 1994 he voted to de-fund the MLK Jr. Holiday commission. In 1990, Lott voted against continuation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the crown jewel of civil-rights legislation that desegregated education and public accommodations."

>

Obama supported a man for 20 years that is well known for making racist comments. He said he was his spiritual mentor. [Rev. Wright]

Obama has been guilty of spouting racist stereotypes over the years and his books ooze racism.

Michelle Obama wrote a racist thesis in college....not a thesis on racism...A RACIST THESIS. http://www.hellnobama.com/michelleobamathesis_part1.pdf

It talks often of White Conservatism....like being a conservative is a white-only trait.

New Topics

Forum List

Back