Lott Blames Downfall On Frist

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
i always appreciated lott's POV on issues, even though i rarely agreed with him. he struck me as highly pragmatic, and i think this book will prove that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8989917/

Ex-Senate leader blames downfall on Frist
Lott calls successor’s actions a ‘personal betrayal’ in new book

Updated: 9:15 p.m. ET Aug. 17, 2005
Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott blames his fall from power in 2002 on a “personal betrayal” by an ambitious Sen. Bill Frist, his successor, adding in a new book that President Bush, Colin Powell and other GOP associates played a role.

Frist, R-Tenn., “didn’t even have the courtesy to call and tell me personally that he was going to run,” the Mississippi Republican wrote of a tumultuous period in which he lost his position as Senate leader after making racially tinged remarks.

“If Frist had not announced exactly when he did, as the fire was about to burn out, I would still be majority leader of the Senate today,” Lott said in “Herding Cats, A Life in Politics.”
More @ LINK

NATO AIR said:
i always appreciated lott's POV on issues, even though i rarely agreed with him. he struck me as highly pragmatic, and i think this book will prove that.

I blame left-wingnut, PC witchhunters blowing something out of proportion (go figure) on Lott's downfall. I feel the Republicans should have thrown up the Bullshit Flag and defended him rather than sell out to the whiney-ass Dems.

i thought he deserved a reprimand, not removal.

however, the gop has its heart set on winning pragmatic, moderate black and latino voters. to do so, they're going to have avoid gaffes that the media can play up into a racial storm.

NATO AIR said:

however, the gop has its heart set on winning pragmatic, moderate black and latino voters. to do so, they're going to have avoid gaffes that the media can play up into a racial storm.

Well, that's my point. Lott triesd to do the right thing and honor an old man on his way out, and the left pulls out this crap that he supported racism back when my parents were children and twist that into Lott made racist comments. (Where's the BS flag?)

But Robert Byrd is A-OK, USA.

GunnyL said:
Well, that's my point. Lott triesd to do the right thing and honor an old man on his way out, and the left pulls out this crap that he supported racism back when my parents were children and twist that into Lott made racist comments. (Where's the BS flag?)

But Robert Byrd is A-OK, USA.

Yep, my eyes have been opened to how the liberal media frames events and debates in this country. Its frightening how much power they wield, even now in an era of blogs and internet mags.... they still have so much power to shape events around their idealogy.

byrd is a "great" american... my ass..

but no matter what they do, we're beating them... we're outsmarting them at every turn... the only thing we're not doing is covering our blind spots (immigration, infrastructure, government pork), and that is where efforts must be focused to come up with solutions that work, before the media shapes the issues and turns them against us in a damaging way.

NATO AIR said:
Yep, my eyes have been opened to how the liberal media frames events and debates in this country. Its frightening how much power they wield, even now in an era of blogs and internet mags.... they still have so much power to shape events around their idealogy.

but no matter what they do, we're beating them... we're outsmarting them at every turn... the only thing we're not doing is covering our blind spots (immigration, infrastructure, government pork), and that is where efforts must be focused to come up with solutions that work, before the media shapes the issues and turns them against us in a damaging way.

The problem is, and is the topic of another thread btw, the right is not capitalizing on what they do good by using their own media outlets to point out the simple stuff.

The sad fact is, there exists almost 50% of our population that blindly beleive whatever the MSM tells them. Conkrite declares we can't win in Vietnam, and I'll be damned if our entire national perception of the war following a battle where we stomped the VC and NVA, does a 180.

Because Walter said so.

GunnyL said:
The problem is, and is the topic of another thread btw, the right is not capitalizing on what they do good by using their own media outlets to point out the simple stuff.

The sad fact is, there exists almost 50% of our population that blindly beleive whatever the MSM tells them. Conkrite declares we can't win in Vietnam, and I'll be damned if our entire national perception of the war following a battle where we stomped the VC and NVA, does a 180.

Because Walter said so.

you are right. crawford, we've got a problem.

NATO AIR said:

The GOP is missing the PR contest, without a doubt. They have a message, but they do NOT get it out.

NATO AIR said:

I disagree. I think that any breach of integrity, any ethics violation, is grounds for dismissal (as in removal from office). We don't/won't tolerate that behaviour from our Cops and Teachers willingly. Why do we expect it from our politicians?

My beef is that there isn't a mechanism in place to apply that idea across both houses.

pegwinn said:
I disagree. I think that any breach of integrity, any ethics violation, is grounds for dismissal (as in removal from office). We don't/won't tolerate that behaviour from our Cops and Teachers willingly. Why do we expect it from our politicians?

My beef is that there isn't a mechanism in place to apply that idea across both houses.

True, but in this "case", I didn't see any breach of integrity. Now some of Lott's other stunts over the years, i would consider unfit for a man of his office. Praising Strom Thurmond at this centennial does not seem to me to be a breach of integrity, but a dumb move that allows every fringe nut to jump on him for being racist and segregationist, etc etc.

NATO AIR said:
True, but in this "case", I didn't see any breach of integrity. Now some of Lott's other stunts over the years, i would consider unfit for a man of his office. Praising Strom Thurmond at this centennial does not seem to me to be a breach of integrity, but a dumb move that allows every fringe nut to jump on him for being racist and segregationist, etc etc.

Agreed in this "case". I mixed up Lott with some other elected windbag. If we actually dismissed congress critters for ethical violations, in effect we'd have term limits...... heh heh

GunnyL said:
I blame left-wingnut, PC witchhunters blowing something out of proportion (go figure) on Lott's downfall. I feel the Republicans should have thrown up the Bullshit Flag and defended him rather than sell out to the whiney-ass Dems.

When it comes to racial matters, you can ALWAYS count on whites to buckle. I don't really give high marks to Lott because he capitulated so quickly and so easily. Nor Frist, a white traitor of the first degree, who saw a great opportunity to depose a fellow white by accusing him of "racism." Nor Byrd, if you will, who probably was never sincere about standing up for the white race, KKK membership notwithstanding. He's since shown himself to be someone who cares about getting pork for West Virginia. And his trajectory. He joined the KKK when that was popular, dumped it when it wasn't. Hey, that's easy. Really, all these politicians are pretty weak. Their only principle seems to be their maintenance of power, not their dedication to principle.

And by the way. Is it just me, or has anyone even bothered to ask whether we truly are better off with racial "integration"? Seems to me that segregation was the better plan. Since "integration," which is really just forcing whites at gunpoint and tax form to give up the communities, jobs, neighborhoods and institutions they built, we've had nothing but crime, high taxes, social disorder and decay, murder and general chaos.

Strom Thurmond was right. For maximum peace, high honor and better life for ALL races, SEGREGATE THEM. Integration is genocide. Of all the bad liberal ideas, forced racial integration has been the hands-down most destructive of Western Civilization.

I just don't see any politician with the balls to say that.

Forum List

Back