Lost my Pastor Today

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a Roman Catholic, living in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. My pastor for the past 13 years has been a charismatic, dynamic, spiritual, handsome, talented, interesting fellow. He was brought in to build a new church...get the process going, raise the money, and manage the whole thing. It is built. It is beautiful. It is paid for. And then some. New, never envisioned out buildings enhance the whole campus.

He is instituted numerous forms of "outreach," benefitting the poor, elderly, addicted, displaced, and so on. I participate in some of it, in small ways.

The Bishop, confronting declining membership overall, and the projected loss of 40% of the already-short-supply of priests over the next ten years, decided (basically) to consolidate over a hundred "buildings" into 40 or so new parishes, with the structures and clergy to be determined over the next few years. Some churches will be closed, some expanded, who knows? Basically the way it works elsewhere is that a "parish" will not consist of three or four Churches (all retaining their previous names), and each one will have one or two Masses on the weekend, with a main "parish" priest floating from one to another to say the Masses.

And of course, our All-Star paster was sent to New Castle, to oversee 8 or so smaller parishes and manage their reorganization. It makes sense from a Diocesan management standpoint.

I don't know anything about the incoming paster, only that he is thrilled to be assigned to what is a large, growing, dynamic parish that has a hundred different things going on.

We'll see. Lots of people are VERY unhappy with this, but it is actually quite common, historically speaking within the U.S. Catholic Church. The norm used to be pastors moved around every 5 years or so.

I don't know of any other religions that would have a comparable event.

I thought you were going to say he died

Catholic Church has only itself to blame
Can’t find Priests? Time to ease some of the restrictions on the priesthood.
Ordain women and drop the medieval celibacy requirements

I am a Roman Catholic, living in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. My pastor for the past 13 years has been a charismatic, dynamic, spiritual, handsome, talented, interesting fellow. He was brought in to build a new church...get the process going, raise the money, and manage the whole thing. It is built. It is beautiful. It is paid for. And then some. New, never envisioned out buildings enhance the whole campus.

He is instituted numerous forms of "outreach," benefitting the poor, elderly, addicted, displaced, and so on. I participate in some of it, in small ways.

The Bishop, confronting declining membership overall, and the projected loss of 40% of the already-short-supply of priests over the next ten years, decided (basically) to consolidate over a hundred "buildings" into 40 or so new parishes, with the structures and clergy to be determined over the next few years. Some churches will be closed, some expanded, who knows? Basically the way it works elsewhere is that a "parish" will not consist of three or four Churches (all retaining their previous names), and each one will have one or two Masses on the weekend, with a main "parish" priest floating from one to another to say the Masses.

And of course, our All-Star paster was sent to New Castle, to oversee 8 or so smaller parishes and manage their reorganization. It makes sense from a Diocesan management standpoint.

I don't know anything about the incoming paster, only that he is thrilled to be assigned to what is a large, growing, dynamic parish that has a hundred different things going on.

We'll see. Lots of people are VERY unhappy with this, but it is actually quite common, historically speaking within the U.S. Catholic Church. The norm used to be pastors moved around every 5 years or so.

Phew. I came here to give you my condolences. I'm glad he's not dead.
Our little town has frequently shared a minister with two or three other towns--can lead to services being quite early--or late--and slow response in case of a funeral, but economically it is the only solution. It's hard when one you really like goes. Best of luck.

/----/ We had a dynamic, effective Priest who spoke perfect english. His masses were SRO while the other drab, boring Priests who could not connect had masses that were for the most part empty. So what did the Bishop do when the dud Priests complained? He moved him to another parish.

/----/ We already have married Priests. The Pope should lift the ban on Priests getting married. They would have more than enough to fill the ranks.

/----/ We already have married Priests. The Pope should lift the ban on Priests getting married. They would have more than enough to fill the ranks.

The only way a Roman Catholic priest can be married is if he converted from Protestantism to Catholicism and was already married at the time. An unmarried priest cannot be married after ordination.

I am so glad your pastor will be able to minister to others, and your benefit is that he has shown your crowed how to do it. Best wishes and good luck going forward.

The RC will eventually return to the marriage standard of more than 1000 years ago: a married priesthood with celibacy optional.

The only way a Roman Catholic priest can be married is if he converted from Protestantism to Catholicism and was already married at the time. An unmarried priest cannot be married after ordination.
/----/ That's what I'm saying. Because there are already married priests the Pope should all current priests to marry and married men to become priests.

yes they moved the child molesters around....
So do school districts. In Los Angeles, they moved the child molesters around so much, they finally ended up with a school whose entire personnel were child molesters, right down to the janitors. Miramonte school actually had to close because after the arrests there were no more teachers or administrators.

I am sure the wine and wafers will still be the same..

The RC will eventually return to the marriage standard of more than 1000 years ago: a married priesthood with celibacy optional.
Really? So that's how some of the Popes managed to have children. I always wondered about that.

I'd worry less about your priests and more about your Pope. He is a political hack who stands at our border and insists we remove it, announces that the Untied States should be taken over by the UN for our own good and says that good works can get you into heaven. The Bible begs to differ...

Pope Francis has sent some signals that he would consider it
Women too

But with the Conservatives in the church hierarchy, there would be a rebellion

yes they moved the child molesters around....
So do school districts. In Los Angeles, they moved the child molesters around so much, they finally ended up with a school whose entire personnel were child molesters, right down to the janitors. Miramonte school actually had to close because after the arrests there were no more teachers or administrators.
Two staff members and one prior member from ten years earlier. I agree they handled it wrong to begin with, but replacing every teacher there was a completely ridiculous thing to do, too.
They closed for two days in 2012, although they will be paying out affected students for decades. They are still open and there is no reason they shouldn't be.

They could open up a more liberal order of the Church that allows married priests and women

Let the parishioners decide which church they will attend

I'd worry less about your priests and more about your Pope. He is a political hack who stands at our border and insists we remove it, announces that the Untied States should be taken over by the UN for our own good and says that good works can get you into heaven. The Bible begs to differ...
Advocating for compassion and love is so UNPOPELIKE, isn't it?

I don't see him tearing down the security at the Vatican. UNPOPELIKE is convincing Catholics that Christ isn't necessary to enter heaven. It is sacrilege. And prophesied...

I don't see him tearing down the security at the Vatican. UNPOPELIKE is convincing Catholics that Christ isn't necessary to enter heaven. It is sacrilege. And prophesied...

Christ is necessary to enter heaven?

About two billion out of seven billion people on earth are Christian

Do you think God will keep the other 5 billion out?

Forum List

Back