Lost in Translation

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
I understand this movie was up for a number of awards, I don't know if it won any but it should have, because it was that bad, and awful movies tend to win awards (with a few notable exceptions).

Maybe I missed some high brow nuance but I felt this movie was pointless. More over, I felt that that was intentional. That that was the point; a pointless movie. Wouldn't be the first.

Of course if I'm not mistaken this is the same person who directed The Virgin Suicides so perhaps bad movies is just this director's style. Wouldn't be the first.

But if you're bored, by all means watch it, because after you do it will be about 2 hours later, perhaps late enough to go to sleep or make dinner or something.

Worst movie I have ever seen, bar none. I can't believe someone actually spent money to make the thing.

It was beyond comprehension that "Lost in Translation" was up for Best Film. It transcended the 1963 epic "THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES" as worst movie. Actually, the two main characters in "Lost in Translation" seemed like mixed-up zombies.

I naively watched the whole thing. I figured SOMETHING had to happen in it. I was wrong. Best explanation I can get from those who liked it was "it was 2 ships passing in the night". :puke3:

I liked it, but I knew going in that it was more of an arty movie.

This, along with a lesser-known, better movie called "All the Real Girls", are probably the two most real-feeling movies I've seen. They felt like documentaries, to an extent. Lost in Translation may have worked better as a book than a movie, because I think having a little insight into the characters' thoughts would enhance the story a lot.

Also, I think this movie would work better in the theater. Generally, quiet movies like this do, only because when you're watching it at home, during a really quiet scene, the viewer is more likely to divert their attention to something else, whereas in the theater, that's the only thing you've got to look at, so you examine it more and think about it more.

Forum List

Back