Loss of Dignity

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
In Search of Dignity
By DAVID BROOKS
The old dignity code that George Washington once followed has not survived modern life. Every week there are new scandals featuring people who simply do not know how to act.

When George Washington was a young man, he copied out a list of 110 “Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation.” Some of the rules in his list dealt with the niceties of going to a dinner party or meeting somebody on the street.

“Lean not upon anyone,” was one of the rules. “Read no letter, books or papers in company,” was another. “If any one come to speak to you while you are sitting, stand up,” was a third.

cont'd

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/opinion/07brooks.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

What would politics be like today with such dignity? When, exactly, was it lost?

In Search of Dignity
By DAVID BROOKS
The old dignity code that George Washington once followed has not survived modern life. Every week there are new scandals featuring people who simply do not know how to act.

When George Washington was a young man, he copied out a list of 110 “Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation.” Some of the rules in his list dealt with the niceties of going to a dinner party or meeting somebody on the street.

“Lean not upon anyone,” was one of the rules. “Read no letter, books or papers in company,” was another. “If any one come to speak to you while you are sitting, stand up,” was a third.

cont'd

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/opinion/07brooks.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

What would politics be like today with such dignity? When, exactly, was it lost?

From later in the same article...

Today, Americans still lavishly admire people who are naturally dignified, whether they are in sports (Joe DiMaggio and Tom Landry), entertainment (Lauren Bacall and Tom Hanks) or politics (Ronald Reagan and Martin Luther King Jr.).

Is everyone on this board aware that they are supposed to lavishly admire Reagan?

Today, Americans still lavishly admire people who are naturally dignified, whether they are in sports (Joe DiMaggio and Tom Landry), entertainment (Lauren Bacall and Tom Hanks) or politics (Ronald Reagan and Martin Luther King Jr.).

Is everyone on this board aware that they are supposed to lavishly admire Reagan?

Somehow, some get so caught up in the politics and the ACTOR that became a politician that they overlook the dignity.

Somehow, some get so caught up in the politics and the ACTOR that became a politician that they overlook the dignity.

He was very dignified, as I recall.

He was very dignified, as I recall.

I'm pretty sure Nancy taught him everything he knew.... :)

Women called Nancy are always good people, I find.

Well I don't personally know any right now, but she was

classy.gif

Forum List

Back