Loss of Dignity AND Ethics

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
Harry Truman was not my favorite president but here are some things about him that are easy to like…

Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.

When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and later, a retroactive pension of
$25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There were no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to
the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale. Congress now gives themselves lifetime retirement for only serving one term.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any
difference."

Think of these things when you vote. There is a war brewing against those who are seizing power from the people...

I kind of like this--whenever money gets into politics everything gets more evil and more dirty.

Edit: Wait, except this:

Think of these things when you vote. There is a war brewing against those who are seizing power from the people...

What the hell is that supposed to mean? How do you go from modesty to promoting a populist war?

Last edited:
I kind of like this--whenever money gets into politics everything gets more evil and more dirty.

Edit: Wait, except this:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? How do you go from modesty to promoting a populist war?

Does it say that Truman said that?

Truman's big failing was continuing many of FDR's polices after WWII ended.

As a man he was a stand up guy and he didn't pass the buck.

That doesn't change the fact he made some really bad decisions (supported French and Dutch reconquest of colonial places, never ending Korean war, allowing Russians a free hand in eastern and central europe) that shaped the latter half of the 20th century and not in a good way.

That doesn't change the fact he made some really bad decisions (supported French and Dutch reconquest of colonial places, never ending Korean war, allowing Russians a free hand in eastern and central europe) that shaped the latter half of the 20th century and not in a good way.
Truman was a fellow traveler.

He was a master manipulator who played up the Red Scare while ridiculing Joe McCarthy.

Never able to change history are we? A pity though that it's so hard to find a "stand up guy" in politics today, even at the local level. Given that politics is an "elective", insofaras personal involvement is concerned, it really isn't surprising -- given who one's peers would be.

Ethically, Truman was one of our greatest Presidents.

Some of his policies aren't much to my liking, of course, but I sense he was a standup guy.

Forum List

Back