Loss of Brilliant Young Scholar in Criminal Justice Reform: Devon Wade

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
LSU community mourns loss of graduate student killed in Houston area

Just heard on the news, about the tragic death of the most illustrious protege of my friends Marilyn Gambrell, Ivory Mayhorn, and the community and colleagues in North Forest in NE Houston.

Devon Wade overcame incredible odds, as the son of incarcerated parents, to become the first African American "Harry Truman Scholar" at LSU. He ambitiously decided to take on criminal justice and African American studies to use his experience to change the prison system to end the cycle of oppression and poverty inflicted on minority families and communities, including his beloved home district of North Forest, where 2/3 of the students have 1-2 incarcerated parents as he did.

I have cited his story multiple times online including here on USMB, as a stellar example of how someone like him can exceed the conditions he was given in life, and use that to help others conquer the same:
Please prove to me that blacks are our equals?

920x920.jpg

https://www.theroot.com/grad-student-shot-and-killed-by-boyfriend-authorities-1820812714

Wow, what a tremendous loss to the community. He was a truly outstanding young man. Rest in Peace Devon Wade.

LSU community mourns loss of graduate student killed in Houston area

Just heard on the news, about the tragic death of the most illustrious protege of my friends Marilyn Gambrell, Ivory Mayhorn, and the community and colleagues in North Forest in NE Houston.

Devon Wade overcame incredible odds, as the son of incarcerated parents, to become the first African American "Harry Truman Scholar" at LSU. He ambitiously decided to take on criminal justice and African American studies to use his experience to change the prison system to end the cycle of oppression and poverty inflicted on minority families and communities, including his beloved home district of North Forest, where 2/3 of the students have 1-2 incarcerated parents as he did.

I have cited his story multiple times online including here on USMB, as a stellar example of how someone like him can exceed the conditions he was given in life, and use that to help others conquer the same:
Please prove to me that blacks are our equals?

920x920.jpg

https://www.theroot.com/grad-student-shot-and-killed-by-boyfriend-authorities-1820812714

Shot in the head by his boyfriend. Yeah, guns, great.

Forum List

Back