Losing the War Through The Media

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Some of us have been writing on this for months, actually over a year. I do hope Bush addresses this during his speech:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006876

2. Big Blue Machin

Big Blue Machin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The "credilibity gap" is back. I heard one general say that iraq is like a marathon. A little longer with more troops and we will win. Of course General William C. Westmoreland said the same thing in Vietnam. Then LBJ said no to 200,000 more troops in Vietnam and start wondering if they were ever going to win the war there.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It didn't take long after Viet Nam ended for enemies to figure out how to defeat the United States....obviously we cannot be defeated militarily, but we suck at the propaganda war. Nikita Kruschev was correct in his assessment of the US...the American people are soft. We have no stomach for long term committment and the American public is easily swayed by the media/propaganda machine of our enemies. We spend more time flogging ourselves over self imposed guilt than we do in trying to defeat the foe.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i spare myself that doubt because i only watch the local news, mostly for weather and other interesting local stories and such that they do. I refuse to watch the cable news (also because i don't have cable), and when the local liberal rag, the Mpls Star Tribune stands inside stores trying to sell subscriptions, i simply tell them i don't support liberal media. They never know what to say when i tell them that.

5. gaffer

gaffer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've said it many times before too. The dictators and petty governments all learned lessons from Vietnam. Keep up attacks against Americans and the American media will win the war for you.

6. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that was certainly our message on the streets of New York City last September. We were trying to stop the war, so no one else would die.
    Unfortunately, we failed to meet our objective. The battle is not over yet. Not by a long shot. We will be back in 2006.
    God Bless America -- the America that doesn't kill people indiscriminately. :usa:

7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Gabby. If you really believe that the war is wrong..... tell me how you would fight it. Simple rules. You must take the fight to them and end terrorism. Kids in San Diego Schoolyards are depending on you.

Now, while we wait, CSM is right. The basic American is soft. That is a good thing. It means that for a very long time, we didn't have to worry about it all comeing apart. Now it is time to toughen up. My one big beef with the big blue arrows, is the lack of a Francis Ford Coppolla (sp?) and "Why We Fight". It's alright for Charlie Rangel to speak, Ted Kennedy to speak, etc, but we mustn't show the video of the twin towers as it is inflamatory.

For Gabby: Go here, then remember it as you protest.

8. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't need to see the video. I watched it happen live. I was a high school senior. A very pissed off one, at that.
    Then I read more about it. I found out that Iraq did not attack the U.S., but was somehow implicated in it anyways. I read that we bungled the attack on Afghanistan, lost all clue of where bin Laden was, and decided to attack Iraq to make everyone forget we had no clue where bin Laden was.
    I read the official FAA timeline for the morning of Sept. 11, complete with dialogue between the towers and the plane pilots (which is now, mysteriously, "classified," althought it was not classified on Sept. 12 and 13.)
    I found out that, while our nation was under attack, the President of the United States sat in an elementary school classroom for 30 minutes, listening to kids read. Then, as the nation wondered wtf was going on and who was in charge, the President of the United States rode around in an airplane for close to 12 hours.
    General Wesley Clark detailed a phone call he got on Sept. 11, from a member of the White House staff, stating "You got to say this is connected. This is state-sponsored terrorism. This has to be connected to Saddam Hussein."
    (Wesley Clark, interviewed by Tim Russert on Meet The Press, June 15, 2003)

On Sept. 15, Dick Cheney scribbled on a notepad that he took to a meeting: "Go massive. Sweep it all up. Things related and not."
    At the same meeting, deputy defense secretary Paul Wolfowitz made an argument for an immediate attack on Iraq. Instead of Afghanistan, where bin Laden and al Qaeda were known to be hiding out. As justification, Wolfowitz stated "Attacking Afghanistan would be uncertain... Iraq is a brittle oppressive regime that might break easily. It is doable."
    (Paul Krugman, "Pattern of Corruption" The New York Times, July 15, 2003)

9. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    The question I asked was:
    Care to take a stab at it?

10. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but a real DECISIVE leader would not have sat in a classroom for 30 minutes. He would have immediately summoned his advisers and devised a response. The problem, Bush was caught totally unprepared. He had no plan for responding to terrorism on U.S. soil. That is why the Bush administration so desperately needed a link to Iraq. Because they had spent a LOT of time planning how to deal with that problem.

Sure, I can end global terrorism. I can also cure cancer and AIDS, end world hunger, fix Global Warming and give everyone in the U.S. a job.
    I look at the alleged "War on Terror" as a massive field of several hundred hornets nests. With the invasion of Iraq, Bush has gone out in the field with bullhorns and sticks. Everytime you destroy 10 nests, another 20 form. How long do you continue attempting to destroy nests?
    The way to deal with the problem is to make sure it does not take over your country. You are NEVER going to end terrorism. You need to avoid further conflicts. Even the terrorists have intentions, which they have clearly stated: Get out of our face. Quit trying to control our countries.
    The U.S. needs to back off its role as The World's Bully. We can force every country to exist the way we do. Of course, the reasons we do it now is simple: because we can. We have a large, well-equipped and well-trained military. If there were not wars to fight and battles to wage, we would have to find a lot of people peacetime jobs. We would have to stop spending billions of dollars on weapons. We might even have to start getting along with other nations.
    There will always be people who enjoy war more than peace. Because, after all, life would be pretty boring if we couldn't kill people.