Losing my Religion

Once I become older and my testosterone-level sinks I plan to become religious and review my actions based on scripture.

I cringe when I examine some aspects of my youth. But then I just look at myself with the same grace I extend to my daughter, and calm the hell down. :)

How old were you?
Somewhere around 17.

Did anything trigger the examination of your faith, or just standard life stuff?

Went through a lot of hardships in my life that didn't shake my faith, then at some point I just let go. It wasn't any specific event, it was more like clouds clearing out of the sky after I went on one of those 'spiritual quest' things.

Somewhere around 17.

Did anything trigger the examination of your faith, or just standard life stuff?

Went through a lot of hardships in my life that didn't shake my faith, then at some point I just let go. It wasn't any specific event, it was more like clouds clearing out of the sky after I went on one of those 'spiritual quest' things.

You're lucky. You saved yourself a lot of years on the wrong path.

Did anybody else walk away?

I was fundamentalist for about 25 years. I don't go to church anymore, but I am still a woman of faith.

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Video) - YouTube

I've never been religious. My parents decided not to raise me or my brothers with any religious belief.

Completely unrelated, but I think that song doesn't actually have anything to do with religion. :) If I remember right, it was a phrase that basically means getting angry. Still a good song though!

Did anybody else walk away?

I was fundamentalist for about 25 years. I don't go to church anymore, but I am still a woman of faith.

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Video) - YouTube

I've never been religious. My parents decided not to raise me or my brothers with any religious belief.

Completely unrelated, but I think that song doesn't actually have anything to do with religion. :) If I remember right, it was a phrase that basically means getting angry. Still a good song though!

You are correct, sir! Michael Stipe told Q that "Losing My Religion" is about "someone who pines for someone else. It's unrequited love, what have you." Stipe compared the song's theme to "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, saying, "It's just a classic obsession pop song. I've always felt the best kinds of songs are the ones where anybody can listen to it, put themselves in it and say, 'Yeah, that's me.'"

Losing My Religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've often wondered if people who took the song to heart did so for the literal title (even if that's not what the song is about.)

Its my perception and belief that every one must engage your self with religion.Its the necessary thing for a human kind.

I haven't lost my religion, but I have further defined what my relationship is to God and to my fellow man is.

My understanding is that certain things please God, one being faith, another is helping your fellow man. Never had any problem believing in God, that is, my faith, but I was a little short in helping others.

I found something a few years ago that I think God wanted me to do and that pleases him. My Chief
asked me to work in our department's food bank where poor folks come and get twenty or so pounds of food a month. He wanted me, specifically, to deliver food to the elderly and to shut-in's three days each month.

I wasn't exactly thrilled but I accepted. He assigned another member to help me. We make a good team.

We quickly saw that the need of these people was desperate so we resolved to do this for as long as we were employed by the department. It's like an additional duty.

On our routes we never once heard these poor, sickly, people complain. Instead they thanked us profusely and blessed God for his benevolence and mercy.

The squalor, stench, and utter poverty of these "neighbors" is akin to fourth world countries. Many of our men won't do this work, they "can't handle it" they say. Some of these folks have passed on and new ones sign up continually but I look at it this way, I believe God chose me to do this work and I obey.

How does this relate to you, beats the heck out of me, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it. (J/K)

I'm reminded of the words to a song some years back - "a little less talk and a lot more action".

Forum List

Back