Lose Weight thru Exercise?

Few things wrong with that.....
Aerobics can add muscle.
Plant based protiens can add muscle.
Water decreases appetite and the rehydration assists the liver and kidneys in disposing of the added waste product caused by exercise. Its also one of the best liquids because it does not contain ingredients counter to good health: sugar being the main culprit.

On interval training --> agreed.

If aerobics can add muscle, why don't runners have muscular legs? They decidedly do not. I ran for 35 years and never gained a bit of leg muscle until I started doing leg-specific weight training. Imagine trying to build up your biceps by doing a thousand curls with 10 lbs on a dumbbell. You would never add anything. It is the same with running. You do a million repetitions of a minimally-exertive motion.

You are referring, I assume, to soy protein and/or legumes. Sounds good, but I don't think it works. You need meat and fish and eggs to build muscle.

Regarding water, name a single person who ever got sick due to not enough water/fluid. If you drink something when you are thirsty, that is more than enough. Drinking when you are not thirsty has about as much benefit as eating when you are not hungry. At least water is not fattening.

If you work outside during summer, or exercise in the heat, you will be thirsty frequently and you should drink WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY. Otherwise, it is pointless.

There are cultures in the world where they NEVER drink water, and the people live to a ripe old age. Tea, wine, coffee. They get most of their "water" intake from fruits, vegetables, and meat or fish. Find me one person over 90 in the Old Folks Home who attributes his longevity to drinking plenty of water. It is silliness, on steroids.

Name a person who has everbeen hurt by not drinking enough water? Cant tell if serious.

Sprinters have no muscle? Cant tell if serious.

Non meat nased protiens havent been STUDIED and PROVEN to add muscle?

Thays weird.

Its weird to supercede study with gut feelings.....but it doesnt suffice.

there are PLENTY of top athletes, including ultra marathoners and powerlifters, who eat no red meat. Most, however, DO eat fish, eggs and dairy products, cause' it's very difficult to digest/get protein for such efforts, based upon veggie only sources

Many, many makers of exercise equipment claim that their happy and satisfied customers have lost weight due to using their treadmill, stepper, elliptical machine, or whatever.

I notice that they don't directly make the cause-effect claim, but rather use statements like, "I lost 30 pounds since I started using my...!" This doesn't really say that the machine was the reason for the weight loss, but the implication certainly is there. When you dig a little deeper, you learn that the person went on a diet AND started using the machine.

When I was a runner I never gained or lost weight in any measurable amount, regardless of whether I was running 10 miles per week or 25. When you consider that you MIGHT burn an extra hundred calories per mile of running/jogging (over your base metabolism), it would theoretically take running an extra 35 miles to lose a single pound. Assuming no increase in calorie consumption. That is a shitload of work to lose a pound.

So my conclusion is that you cannot lose weight by exercise. Exercise can be a good supplement to a weight-loss diet; it takes your mind off food and does burn some extra calories, but I have never seen anyone lose anything more than an initial 5-10 pounds of "water weight" by exercising. And that invariably comes back after a relatively short period of time.

Anyone have any different experience?

Probably lose weight intially, but weight shouldn't be the standard you go by since muscle is 3 times heavier. You'll be burning off the protein first, then the carbs, then lastly the fat. Your measurements should shrink, but your weight may well go up as you replace fat with muscle. Why the whole height-weight metric is worthless. If we relied on that then nearly every athlete would be considered morbidly obese having so much msucle that for their height it would seem they must be fat when they're anything but.

Don't need equipment to exercise and get fit. Didn't use a thing in basic training. It's simply a question of how badly do you want it? And are you going to make it a lifestyle change and commitment? No sense starting an exercise regime unless you're going to make it part of the rest of your life.

When you quit exercising, all that muscle reverts to fat. So exercise is something that if you don't keep at it any gains will be lost once you stop. Look at what happened to Arnold Schwarzenegger when he got into politics and stopped having time to stay tone. He became a fat bastard. :)

arnold_schwarzenegger_fat1.jpg

circa 2012
I wouldn't describe him as "fat" for his age. He's no Mr. Olympia anymore but he is still lean.

HIS logic failed, yes. why describe losing weight as the same thing as losing a leg, eh? something's wrong with your head, that's why

Name a person who has everbeen hurt by not drinking enough water? Cant tell if serious.

Thays weird.

sprinters hit the weights pretty hard.

you can't compare sprinters and marathoners.

long distance runners are not heavily muscled

Thays weird.

I know that.

The reason distance running doesnt build muscle is not because running (period) doesnt build muscle, though. Its because past a certain point your muscle tissue breaks down as an energy reserve.

Thays weird.

I know that.

The reason distance running doesnt build muscle is not because running (period) doesnt build muscle, though. Its because past a certain point your muscle tissue breaks down as an energy reserve.

Sprinting is more about power than stamina

Forum List

Back