Los Angeles Cross Removal

thanks, much appreciated. that decision made me so furious.

I'm an ACLU member, but on this particular occassion, I differ with the southern California branch. Los Angeles, as many other California cities, was originally a Spanish Catholic mission. The cross does symbolize that history. However, I also think this issue is being blown out of proportion by people on the right.

acludem

I'm an ACLU member as well and I don't agree with this. The only thing I find funny about the situation was Bill O'Reilley saying that the ACLU was trying to hold Christians down. The cross in this instance symbolizes the Spaniards and their missions who happened to practice Catholicism. Granted for most people, they consider Catholicism a form of Christianity (as do Catholics), but there are Christians out there who believe otherwise.

be that as it may, it is still a symbol of Christianity, as it symbolizes belief in Christ and that He died on the cross. Therefore, the fact that it is to be taken down does upset all Christians.

be that as it may, it is still a symbol of Christianity, as it symbolizes belief in Christ and that He died on the cross. Therefore, the fact that it is to be taken down does upset all Christians.

I think it also upset some atheists, as it was an obvious historical symbol for the city.

No, I understand where you are coming from savagette. I just think it's funny that nobody on the Bill O'Reilley show never mentioned Catholicism and what Catholics felt. That's all. Like I said, Catholicism is a form of Christianity so the removal of the cross would definitely offend Christians as it is a Christian symbol.

Kathianne, I'm one of the atheists that doesn't approve of this. :D

On a side note, savagette, I was wondering something. Is your name in any way tied to Michael Savage? Just wondering. ;)

On a side note, savagette, I was wondering something. Is your name in any way tied to Michael Savage? Just wondering.
:clap: :clap: :clap: yep, you got it. very good. most people have no idea what it stands for.:D

You ever listened to him before? I find that rather surprising, just because some of your views are the exact polar opposite of his.

Ya, on occasion I've listened. I try to listen, read or watch things that go against my beliefs. You get a better understanding of things.

My thoughts, I would say, are exact opposite of most right-wing people. I can meet some common ground though on some issues. :D

Originally posted by acludem
I'm an ACLU member, but on this particular occassion, I differ with the southern California branch. Los Angeles, as many other California cities, was originally a Spanish Catholic mission. The cross does symbolize that history. However, I also think this issue is being blown out of proportion by people on the right.

acludem

Probably reactionary actions for years of having their rights taken away by the ACLUs interpretation of rights.

merry meet,
i am new to this sight and i am sure i will make a huge splash with my pro-libral unchristan thoughts but i feel all religon should be taken out of public. i have no prob. with what you practice in your home but in public i dont want to see it.sorry i am a bit bitter towards christans who cry they are being persicuted when they have been doing the persicution for the last 2000 years. nonchristions finly have a voice were we dont have to feel like we will be hung or burned(and yes my great aunt is ann putnam and if you do a little reserch on salem ma. it wont take long to know what i am talking about.)i would also like to see in god we trust removed from the dollar bill.but in goddess we trust has a nice ring to it. lol just kiding

Originally posted by silverwolf
merry meet,
i am new to this sight and i am sure i will make a huge splash with my pro-libral unchristan thoughts but i feel all religon should be taken out of public. i have no prob. with what you practice in your home but in public i dont want to see it.sorry i am a bit bitter towards christans who cry they are being persicuted when they have been doing the persicution for the last 2000 years. nonchristions finly have a voice were we dont have to feel like we will be hung or burned(and yes my great aunt is ann putnam and if you do a little reserch on salem ma. it wont take long to know what i am talking about.)i would also like to see in god we trust removed from the dollar bill.but in goddess we trust has a nice ring to it. lol just kiding

Why pick up this old thread and add this ramble to it? Let sleeping threads lie.

Forum List

Back