Looks like lunchbox nazi inspectors are mandated by the Feds

Can you show how the parent's care for their child was usurped in any way shape or form by a child being offered additional food items?

She was told her lunch wasn't good enough, she had her lunch replaced (not taken away) with a school lunch. That is not "supplementing" that is "usurping".

She still had her original lunch. It wasn't replaced.

What's next, the teacher will take away bargain tennis shoes and bill the parents for NIKEs that don't fit?

The lie that is being perpetrated by this thread. There was no "big government" intervention in this Pre-K program. The "nanny state" didn't come in and smack her healthy, home-made lunch out of her hands and force chicken nuggets on her.

That's "what lie".

Where did a "teacher" get the idea that they had the "authority" to judge a child's lunch?

For the most part, common sense I'd say. You see a kid with nothing more than a salami sandwich and a juice, would you offer the kid more food?

Is it a "daily" thing? Does she eat all of her sandwich? Is she feeling well? Does she have a special diet? Is something happening today, that she is this particular lunch?

But, hey, feel free to jump to conclusions, because you (as an intellectual elite) know better than everyone else how to raise "every" child.

For the most part, common sense I'd say. You see a kid with nothing more than a salami sandwich and a juice, would you offer the kid more food?

don't start going sideways, it was a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice, wtf? its lunch, she needed milk aside from the juice? seriously?

Actually I was referring to another lunch that the drunk dancer was talking about where the kid only had a salami sandwich and a juice.

As for the lunch in the trumped up Limbaugh story, she was offered milk...so what?

Let's pretend the girl had "homosexual tendencies", and the teacher saw her using two Barbie dolls to pretend kissing, the teacher took one of the Barbie dolls, and said, here is a "Ken" doll, that is how life is supposed to work. Would that bother you at all?????

It is funny, when gov't doesn't fully support one of your pet peeves, you want to scream from the rooftops, when the gov't is obviously overstepping parental boundaries in a place your groups are pushing indoctrination, you can't see it. Things that make us say Hmmmmm.

Not sure if this pertains to TD's post but it happened again. I posted this earlier in the thread (page 6).
link for this?

Actually, I was looking for a link that had a specific program guidance requiring home brought lunches to be checked for compliance as that is the crux of the problem. If this is the case, it is clearly an overstep of government and a clear nanny state mindset. If it is not the case, then we have something else going on.

As a side note, I think that it is worthy to state that the USDA guidelines are a far cry from anything healthy. I run a daycare and am subject to those guidelines and have been forced quite frequently to substitute healthy items with less healthy items because the guidelines are so specific and unforgiving. I think that the left's support of such concepts would do well to look at what actually happens when you apply an overreaching standard to such a large base with no consideration for each specific case. Not only are the guidelines themselves sometimes asinine but they fail to include many sources of better nutrition over the 'approved' sources. In many cases, I have to forgo healthy handmade meals because of the cost associated and the fact the USDA will not recognize it as an approved source and replace that with an approved, store bought source. The USDA guides also fail miserably in actually working to include things the children will actually eat. Because our daycare is small, it was far easier and better when we customized our daily menu based on what the children in attendance actually were willing to consume rather than matching it to a chart that had no actual children in its implementation. Since the USDA has taken over our meal program, such an option is not on the table unless we implement it illegally. Instead, I must follow menus that are scheduled weeks in advance, approved by a USDA regulator that approved them loosely on guidelines as well as on whatever she wants to at the time, and we must follow that menu religiously. Deviations must be recorded and justified.

Essentially, programs like this rarely actually accomplish the stated goal but cost a lot in not getting it done.

Here are the guidelines: http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/center_chp9.pdf

They use the term "supplement"; not "replace", but they "encourage centers to develop their own policies about food brought from home". I imagine those "policies" have to be approved by the licensing board, so while they say it not "the policy of DHHS", it essentially is.

Schools do not want to be the lunchbox police. But they also have to be in compliance with state regs. I actually feel bad for the teacher and the principal involved. They are being thrown under the bus.

[
Here are the guidelines: http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/center_chp9.pdf

They use the term "supplement"; not "replace", but they "encourage centers to develop their own policies about food brought from home". I imagine those "policies" have to be approved by the licensing board, so while they say it not "the policy of DHHS", it essentially is.

Schools do not want to be the lunchbox police. But they also have to be in compliance with state regs. I actually feel bad for the teacher and the principal involved. They are being thrown under the bus.

At first I was just going to reiterate that I thought the school made a mistake in their reading of which lunches would be 'checked', seemed to me to be either school provided OR 'day care' provided. Your link was regarding 'day care centers' and the rules that apply to them. Funny thing, in Red letters, in big box, this 'requirement' of day care providers, specifically deal with 'food from home' telling THEM, the day care providers that they must offer supplements to lunches not meeting the requirements.

Interestingly enough, it also offers a program by the fed for reimbursement to day care centers that do this.

While the lunch originally causing the brouhaha actually met the guidelines, I still don't think the schools should be going through home provided lunches. It also appears that unless they are assuming day care providers aren't doing an adequate job, they should ONLY be worried about school provided lunches, as the day care centers already fall under mandates so it appears, (though not unfunded, so it appears.)

Yep. If parents get too frustrated by the regs, they will just enroll the kids in the fed program - most of whom probably qualify for free. And perhaps 100 percent participation is the goal. I believe in Phila. principals are EVALUATED by how many school breakfasts they push. I'll try to find the link later.

Yep. If parents get too frustrated by the regs, they will just enroll the kids in the fed program - most of whom probably qualify for free. And perhaps 100 percent participation is the goal. I believe in Phila. principals are EVALUATED by how many school breakfasts they push. I'll try to find the link later.

These are the same people that have been defining "healthy" for decades, the gov't, and have been providing "educational" messages of how people should eat.
Now we have a nation where far to many are "obese", and we are going to sacrifice our children to the very people that have been telling the nation how to be obese for decades?

Making kids eat TWO breakfasts may not help with that obesity problem either.

In a locally unprecedented move, the School District of Philadelphia will hold principals accountable for the number of students eating breakfast in their schools.

Breakfast participation will be part of the report card that rates principals each year, along with categories such as attendance and math and reading performance.

All 165,000 students in Philadelphia public schools, regardless of income, are eligible for free breakfasts. But just 54,000 ate breakfast last year, district figures show.

The new system, which begins this year, is expected to increase the number of students eating breakfast, said Jonathan Stein, a lawyer with Community Legal Services, whose efforts – along with those of Public Citizens for Children and Youth (PCCY) – helped bring about the move.

Not everyone is happy, however.

“You’re doing a disservice to principals by holding them accountable without controlling for other variables,” said Michael Lerner, president of Teamsters Local 502, Commonwealth Association of School Administrators.

Should a principal be blamed for a student who ate breakfast at home and therefore doesn’t eat in school, asked Lerner, who was a principal for 22 years. “Are we going to get to forced feedings?” he continued. “I think it’s wrong to assume no parent in Philadelphia is providing breakfast each day.”

And, Lerner added, many children wind up not eating, thereby wasting food. “If you know kids,” he said, “they’ll eat what they want and when they want.”

Breakfast at School Now is on the Principal

I say one for all and all for one.

Let's apply all of Michelle's standards to White House dinners and to Capitol Hill. Right across the board.

Arugala for the world.:lol:

Making kids eat TWO breakfasts may not help with that obesity problem either.

In a locally unprecedented move, the School District of Philadelphia will hold principals accountable for the number of students eating breakfast in their schools.

Breakfast participation will be part of the report card that rates principals each year, along with categories such as attendance and math and reading performance.

All 165,000 students in Philadelphia public schools, regardless of income, are eligible for free breakfasts. But just 54,000 ate breakfast last year, district figures show.

The new system, which begins this year, is expected to increase the number of students eating breakfast, said Jonathan Stein, a lawyer with Community Legal Services, whose efforts – along with those of Public Citizens for Children and Youth (PCCY) – helped bring about the move.

Not everyone is happy, however.

“You’re doing a disservice to principals by holding them accountable without controlling for other variables,” said Michael Lerner, president of Teamsters Local 502, Commonwealth Association of School Administrators.

Should a principal be blamed for a student who ate breakfast at home and therefore doesn’t eat in school, asked Lerner, who was a principal for 22 years. “Are we going to get to forced feedings?” he continued. “I think it’s wrong to assume no parent in Philadelphia is providing breakfast each day.”

And, Lerner added, many children wind up not eating, thereby wasting food. “If you know kids,” he said, “they’ll eat what they want and when they want.”

Breakfast at School Now is on the Principal

3 meals a day now are being fed in most cities to students.

So that means the schools get an increased budget to supply 3 meals a day to students, but food stamps to families are on the rise.

Hello? Does not pass the smell test.

If one is receiving food stamps for a family of five, but three children not eating in said household for 5 days a week and 3 meals a day, are the families still receiving aid I hope that aid is substantially down to subsidize the schools 3 meals a day program.

Splendid idea!

60805905.jpg

Forum List

Back