Looks like lunchbox nazi inspectors are mandated by the Feds

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Well, while we still don't exactly who the agent was in the "chicken nugget" fiasco in NC, this is what I have found out.

In 2010 the Feds passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

This is right on the USDA website. I never knew that First Ladies could push legislation.

Most recently, Rowe served as Deputy Administrator for Special Nutrition Programs at FNS, leading the effort to pass the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the legislative centerpiece of First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move! initiative to end childhood obesity in a generation.

Audrey Rowe | USDA

Then there is this. Right on the WH site. And you can grab a pdf link off this one to see what they have outlined as a sample nutritious school lunch.

For Immediate Release
December 13, 2010
President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law

First Lady Michelle Obama, Administration Officials and Let’s Move! Advocates Reaffirm Commitment to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids

“Today is a great day for kids throughout our country as they will soon have healthier, and more nutritious food in their schools. As we continue to focus on the twin issues of childhood obesity and hunger, we will increase access to good, quality meals in school cafeterias so the nutritional needs of our youngsters are better met.

The President and First Lady have advocated strongly for passing the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, and, this bill, along with the resources and the powers provided under it, are going to allow USDA to be much more effective and aggressive in responding to obesity and hunger challenges for America’s kids.”

- U.S. Secretary Of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law | The White House

Last edited:
obama-youth-3.jpg

"Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zone . . . Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual - uninvolved, uninformed."

Well, while we still don't exactly who the agent was in the "chicken nugget" fiasco in NC, this is what I have found out.

In 2010 the Feds passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

This is right on the USDA website. I never knew that First Ladies could push legislation.

Most recently, Rowe served as Deputy Administrator for Special Nutrition Programs at FNS, leading the effort to pass the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the legislative centerpiece of First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move! initiative to end childhood obesity in a generation.

Audrey Rowe | USDA

Then there is this. Right on the WH site. And you can grab a pdf link off this one to see what they have outlined as a sample nutritious school lunch.

For Immediate Release
December 13, 2010
President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law

First Lady Michelle Obama, Administration Officials and Let’s Move! Advocates Reaffirm Commitment to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids

“Today is a great day for kids throughout our country as they will soon have healthier, and more nutritious food in their schools. As we continue to focus on the twin issues of childhood obesity and hunger, we will increase access to good, quality meals in school cafeterias so the nutritional needs of our youngsters are better met.

The President and First Lady have advocated strongly for passing the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, and, this bill, along with the resources and the powers provided under it, are going to allow USDA to be much more effective and aggressive in responding to obesity and hunger challenges for America’s kids.”

- U.S. Secretary Of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law | The White House

We're so fucked we might have to hit Ctl Alt Del twice and reboot the whole system

And most importantly check out this. This is Federal legislation right from the President and the First Lady in tandem with the USDA official.

“Everything we can do.. to make food taste good,” Rowe told students at Elkhorn Middle School in Frankfort on Wednesday.

The USDA official from Washington, DC got a first-hand look…and taste of school lunches in Kentucky.

“I think we can make it to where one day you’ll say ‘that lady was here and I like this food now.’ That’s what I’m working on,” she said.

Taylor Boggs ate lunch with Rowe, who’s worked directly with President Obama on school lunch legislation.

“She really listened to what I said about the food,” said Boggs, an 8th grader at Elkhorn .

“Usually for students, if they don’t have a good lunch, sometime around mid-afternoon, they get sluggish, start having issues,” said Rowe, who says she visited the school in-between several meetings with officials in Kentucky.

Rowe says the bottom line is that school lunches today are going to be a lot different next year.

8th graders say their meals are pretty good, but some days….

“It’s really greasy…and not fresh,” said Boggs.

Rowe says some districts have brought in chefs in to make changes.

“A few weeks ago Rachel Ray made lunch in one of the schools I was in, she made turkey tacos,” she said.

Elkhorn Middle School was given the thumbs up for already serving fat free milk and whole grain buns.

“I’m really pleased with what I see here in Kentucky. Other school districts are not as far along,” Rowe said.

Rowe says the new laws will not just change what is served in cafeterias, but what is allowed in vending machines and other areas of the school.

Frankfort school cafeteria gets visit from USDA official

Last edited:
Every liberal bonesmoker here will lie and blame it on the state to protect their messiah......

And most importantly check out this. This is Federal legislation right from the President and the First Lady in tandem with the USDA official.

“Everything we can do.. to make food taste good,” Rowe told students at Elkhorn Middle School in Frankfort on Wednesday.

The USDA official from Washington, DC got a first-hand look…and taste of school lunches in Kentucky.

“I think we can make it to where one day you’ll say ‘that lady was here and I like this food now.’ That’s what I’m working on,” she said.

Taylor Boggs ate lunch with Rowe, who’s worked directly with President Obama on school lunch legislation.

“She really listened to what I said about the food,” said Boggs, an 8th grader at Elkhorn .

“Usually for students, if they don’t have a good lunch, sometime around mid-afternoon, they get sluggish, start having issues,” said Rowe, who says she visited the school in-between several meetings with officials in Kentucky.

Rowe says the bottom line is that school lunches today are going to be a lot different next year.

“A few weeks ago Rachel Ray made lunch in one of the schools I was in, she made turkey tacos,” she said.

Elkhorn Middle School was given the thumbs up for already serving fat free milk and whole grain buns.

“I’m really pleased with what I see here in Kentucky. Other school districts are not as far along,” Rowe said.

Rowe says the new laws will not just change what is served in cafeterias, but what is allowed in vending machines and other areas of the school.

:evil::evil:

It makes me wonder who that person was and why the identity has been kept secret. Beyond that though, why are we paying some self important Fed to invade local school districts that already employ nutritionists?

It's not like North Carolina is Somolia. This is a state with a real live infrastructure that provides real live professionals who do real live work in real live schools.

Is anybody at all concerned that the Feds are overreaching. Again?

School Nutrition Association of North Carolina

And it skips the factoid that the kid brought his own lunch which was healthier than what it was replaced by.

This really blows me away that the USDA has this much power. I am really uncomfortable with this "one size fits all children nutritional guidelines".

Schools also will be required to set certain calorie amounts for various grade levels. Under the new standards, lunches for students in kindergarteners-through-fifth grade have 550 and 650 calories; lunches for grades six-through-eight have between 600 and 700 calories; and lunches for students in grades nine-through-12 have 750 and 850 calories.

Requirements also have been established for breakfast, but those requirements don’t begin until the 2013-14 school year.

Gordon said the calories aren’t set per item, but are taken as an average of a week’s meals.

“The calories really aren’t by day,” she said. “The government evaluates them by a week’s time, an average.”

The government evaluates.....

wow just wow.

And check this out. No $$$ if they don't follow all the new rules.

Final meal patterns are expected to be released later this year or early 2012. Districts that comply with the regulations by October 2012 will receive a bonus reimbursement for each meal that follows the guidelines. Districts may serve whatever they want, Thornton said, but they only receive federal reimbursement — up to $2.72 per meal — if they follow the rules.

Read more: Wyoming school districts face new food service regulations

Frankfort, the name might imply or closely resemble a hot dog, which is full of nitrates and fats and all the bad thing, might need to change the schools name, might need a special executive powers to immediately change the name.

Not surprisingly, this story has been picked up in large swathes of the libertarian and conservative blogospheres…

One problem: the story is a load of bunk at worst, a non-story at best, standing for little more than the proposition that low-income children in NC’s low-income pre-K program whose parents don’t send them to school with enough healthy food will be provided with additional food to supplement what their parents send them to school with.

As usual, conservatives have no use for the truth.

Needless to say, if a story came out that poor children were discovered to not have enough healthy food and the school failed to offer a supplement, conservatives would decry the ‘incompetent pubic sector.’

if Yobama gets re-elected,,get ready for the "Cavity Search Nazi's" going into every high school randomly checking students for hidden substances.

Not surprisingly, this story has been picked up in large swathes of the libertarian and conservative blogospheres…

One problem: the story is a load of bunk at worst, a non-story at best, standing for little more than the proposition that low-income children in NC’s low-income pre-K program whose parents don’t send them to school with enough healthy food will be provided with additional food to supplement what their parents send them to school with.

Needless to say, if a story came out that poor children were discovered to not have enough healthy food and the school failed to offer a supplement, conservatives would decry the ‘incompetent pubic sector.’

That's not the issue here whatsoever.

The issue is the mother's lunch met the guidelines and frankly was more nutritious than freaking deep fried chicken nuggets. Yet the inspector told the child her lunch from mom was no good, and gave her a school lunch.

Do you know what's in chicken nuggets? Trust me, the turkey sandwich mom packed is far better.

Oh and the story has gone viral internationally in even left wing news organizations. Not just blogs.

if Yobama gets re-elected,,get ready for the "Cavity Search Nazi's" going into every high school randomly checking students for hidden substances.

I can see it now. Big Sis and DHS have full body and lunchbox scanners to assist the USDA in making sure the regulations are met at each school.

Like I put up on a couple of other boards, future headlines will read

"Child tasered for failure to relinquish twinkie and pepsi"

:lol:

Turkey tacos? Veggie wraps? Nothing wrong with either or more examples. What is wrong is forcing all to buy, whether or not they want.

In high schools the lesson is already dealt with. But the meal, buy it ala carte, buy some alternatives altogether.

To a more limited degree, same with middle school.

Grammar schools? No real choice.

When have conservatives ever done anything like that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back