Looks like Haley Barbour is on the Hot Seat Again

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour has come under fire for failing to condemn efforts by the state's Sons of Confederate Veterans to institute a license plate commemorating Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Historically, Forrest has been both hailed for his military brilliance and condemned for his brutality both during and after the Civil War. The general infamously slaughtered black Union troops that surrendered at Fort Pillow Tennessee in 1864 and became a Grand Wizard in the KKK after the war ended. The proposal must be approved by the state legislature and signed by Gov. Haley Barbour.

This license plate controversy comes just months after Barbour, a Republican, told a weekly magazine that he does not remember the 1960s civil rights struggle in his hometown in Yazoo City as being "that bad."

Miss. plan for KKK leader license plate criticized - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
Report: Mississippi under fire for considering KKK leader and Confederate hero on license plate — Autoblog

Why on earth would you attack the Governor for that?
The governor has the power to stop it and I think he should. I have lived in the South a number years and have never understood how any southerners can be proud of the fact that their ancestors enslaved hundreds of thousands of people, started the bloodies war in our history, lost the war, and then treated the freed slaves like shit for a hundred years.

Last edited:
It's a freakin license plate. We are broke, corrupt, and degenerate and you are worried about a license plate!

Seriously, if people want to buy them. Let them.

4677101130_82dcb53912.jpg

It's a freakin license plate. We are broke, corrupt, and degenerate and you are worried about a license plate!

Sure, why not.

How's about a noose and white sheet background for the discerning neo Confederates out there? Think of the marketing potential!

Sure, why not.

How's about a noose and white sheet background for the discerning neo Confederates out there? Think of the marketing potential!

Id rather anyone who was racist be honest about it. Can't heal if the problem is hiding itself.

Id rather anyone who was racist be honest about it. Can't heal if the problem is hiding itself.

No one in a slave state like Mississippi is looking to 'heal' themselves of their trademark racism. I've lived FL, GA, and AZ and have driven through Mississippi a few times....I know.

Too bad they don't secede again and quit draining the federal coffers.

Sure, why not.

Exactly. More than a few conservatives just look at possible econ gains. To hell w/ sensibilities.

There are some things the government should not commemorate. I think a Confederate General who presided over the massacre of 300 unarmed black solider who had surrendered falls in that category. Following the war he became Grand Wizard of the KKK. The Klan first tried to convince blacks that they should return to their previous status before the war. When that failed the Klan turned to violence which continued for nearly a hundred years.

If Barbour condones this, it may well come back to haunt him in his bid for the Republican nomination. But since Republicans only get about 7% of the black vote, maybe they don't give a damn.

No one in a slave state like Mississippi is looking to 'heal' themselves of their trademark racism. I've lived FL, GA, and AZ and have driven through Mississippi a few times....I know.

Too bad they don't secede again and quit draining the federal coffers.

They might not be looking to be healed, but there is no chance to heal if they are in hiding.

And forgive me, but I don't think driving through a state really tells me that you know anything about it or it's people.

There are some things the government should not commemorate. I think a Confederate General who presided over the massacre of 300 unarmed black solider who had surrendered falls in that category. Following the war he became Grand Wizard of the KKK. The Klan first tried to convince blacks that they should return to their previous status before the war. When that failed the Klan turned to violence which continued for nearly a hundred years.

If Barbour condones this, it may well come back to haunt him in his bid for the Republican nomination. But since Republicans only get about 7% of the black vote, maybe they don't give a damn.

And why should what you think determine what the citizens of Mississippi do?

Mississippi has worked very hard to convince the nation that they are not the state they were 50 years ago then someone like comes along.

Mississippi has worked very hard to convince the nation that they are not the state they were 50 years ago then someone like comes along.
....And, runs a DIFFERENT hu$tle!!!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2011

"As Democrats and Republicans battle over the budget, The Daily Beast crunches the numbers to see which states take more from D.C. than they send back—and which states get shortchanged.

The increasingly rancorous political wrangling over the federal budget has placed the federal government inching ever closer to a shutdown. Today’s Republican budget proposal, headed by Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan, includes fundamental changes to Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal government-sponsored programs administered by states—in all, the proposal has more than $4 trillion in cuts over 10 years.

Out of the 10 states that have benefitted most from federal money since 2007, seven sent their electoral votes to John McCain in 2008. Mississippi and West Virginia are at the head of the class—each take nearly $3 from Washington for each dollar they pay in taxes."

QUIET, ON THE SET!!!!!

ROLL IT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not get in a pissing contest about brutal Civil War generals shall we? Grant would have been in prison for the atrosities he authorized and Sherman would have been in the nut house where he belonged. Democrat senator Robert Byrd was a KKK leader and every other pork project in W.V. is named after him. Why don't you lefties worry about what B. Hussein is doing to the Country instead of worrying about Miss. license plates?

Let's not get in a pissing contest about brutal Civil War generals shall we? Grant would have been in prison for the atrosities he authorized and Sherman would have been in the nut house where he belonged. Democrat senator Robert Byrd was a KKK leader and every other pork project in W.V. is named after him. Why don't you lefties worry about what B. Hussein is doing to the Country instead of worrying about Miss. license plates?
....Or, worrying about Boss Barbour's hypocri$y.....right??

Wankin.gif

Wankin.gif

You think the governor of Miss. is hypocritical for not being outraged about a license plate while KKK leader Harry Byrd was supported by democrats for fifty years? You and I must have a different definition of the word hypocritical shammy.

Wankin.gif

You think the governor of Miss. is hypocritical for not being outraged about a license plate while KKK leader Harry Byrd was supported by democrats for fifty years? You and I must have a different definition of the word hypocritical shammy.
Yeah.....let's try to forget about him gorging himself on U.S. taxpayers' buck$!!!!!

Forum List

Back