Looks Like Alito

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051031...FyarPNAw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Yahoo! News
Bush to Nominate Alito to Supreme Court

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer 1 minute ago

President Bush to nominate Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, The Associated Press has learned, choosing a long-time federal judge embraced by judicial conservatives to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Bush plans to announce the nomination at 8 a.m. EST, the officials said.

The choice likely will mend a rift in the Republican Party caused by his failed nomination of Harriet Miers.

Miers bowed out last Thursday after three weeks of bruising criticism from members of Bush's own party who argued that the Texas lawyer and loyal Bush confidant had thin credentials on constitutional law and no proven record as a judicial conservative.

Well.... there are some good signs about Alito

For starters, the Democrats HATE him! And are threatening to filibuster.... (I told ya' the Republicans should have struck down Senate Rule 23 i.e. supermajorities required for cloture votes)

Secondly, he's been compared to Scalia, in opinion, but not temperament (Scalia can be outspoken, whereas Alito is mild mannered) which can only mean

he's conservative......

Plus.....

He's Italian!!!! Hey, Paisano!!!! :):)

Does this (hopefully) mean our disaffected conservatives will come back to the fold?

:thup:

"Judicial conservatives praise Alito's 15 years on the Philadelphia-based court, a tenure that gives him more appellate experience than almost any previous Supreme Court nominee. They say his record shows a commitment to a strict interpretation of the Constitution, ensuring that the separation of powers and checks and balances are respected and enforced. They also contend that Alito has been a powerful voice for the First Amendment's guarantees of free speech and the free exercise of religion.

Liberal groups, on the other hand, note Alito's moniker and say his nomination raises troubling concerns, especially when it comes to his record on civil rights and reproductive rights. Alito is a frequent dissenter on the 3rd Circuit, one of the most liberal federal appellate benches in the nation.

In the early 1990s, Alito was the lone dissenter in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, a case in which the 3rd Circuit struck down a Pennsylvania law that included a provision requiring women seeking abortions to notify their spouses.

"The Pennsylvania legislature could have rationally believed that some married women are initially inclined to obtain an abortion without their husbands' knowledge because of perceived problems — such as economic constraints, future plans or the husbands' previously expressed opposition — that may be obviated by discussion prior to the abortion," Alito wrote.

The case ended up at the Supreme Court where the justices, in a 6-3 decision struck down the spousal notification provision of the law. The late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist cited Alito's reasoning in his own dissent."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20051031/ap_on_go_su_co/bush_scotus_24

Abbey Normal said:
Does this (hopefully) mean our disaffected conservatives will come back to the fold?

:thup:

I will NOT criticize this nomination. :laugh: Now, if he'd do the same on immigration/borders, I will be less disaffected! Oh and a veto or two would help!

Kathianne said:
I will NOT criticize this nomination. :laugh: Now, if he'd do the same on immigration/borders, I will be less disaffected! Oh and a veto or two would help!

There are reasons NOT to criticize:

http://www.chrisgeidner.com/blog/archive/004929.html

Alito, It Is (With Credentials)

Judge Samuel Alito has been selected by the president.

Bush is heavy on credentials this morning:

* "and extraordinary breadth of experience"
* "a mastery of the law"
* "scholarly, fair-minded, and principled"
* Princeton and Yale Law School and editor of the Yale Law Journal
* clerk for a federal appeals judge
* argued 12 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court
* Office of Legal Counsel
* "has more prior judicial experience than any nominee to the Supreme Court"
* "confident" the United States Senate will be impressed with his credentials

His aim is for the Senate to confirm Alito "before the end of the year."

looks like Judge Scalito...i mean Alito will be a good choice:)

I also think the fact that the Judge is from the Third circuit in Philadelphia makes it alot tougher for Specter to challenge him. Of course Specter can be an idiot so who knows whether it will stop him.

On the Dem sites they are already talking about Filibuster moves. This is going to be fun to watch! Politics at its purist form.

no1tovote4 said:
On the Dem sites they are already talking about Filibuster moves. This is going to be fun to watch! Politics at its purist form.

looks like we are about to get the fight we've been looking for. It's about time. The President is listening to his base this time. It's time for us to kick butt.

looks like we are about to get the fight we've been looking for. It's about time. The President is listening to his base this time. It's time for us to kick butt.

"Samuel Scalito" has a nice ring as does "Machine Gun Sammy". :firing:

The Dimmos are already having catniption fits:

"Needlessly provocative"

"On abortion rights, and based on a 1992 case in which he supported spousal notification, Alito favors more restrictions than either the Supreme Court has allowed or retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor has supported."

"On gun rights, Alito in 1996 was the only appeals judge to vote against upholding Congress’ authority to ban fully automatic machine guns. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sarcastically described “Machine Gun Sammy” as a “perfect Halloween pick.”

"In the Senate, Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said lawmakers must “find out if the man replacing Miers is too radical for the American people.”

“President Bush would leave the Supreme Court looking less like America and more like an old boys club,” Reid added, referring to the fact that Alito is neither a woman nor a minority."

"Sen. Patrick Leahy, the senior Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, called it a “needlessly provocative nomination. Instead of uniting the country through his choice, the president has chosen to reward one faction of his party, at the risk of dividing the country.”

"Given solid Republican support in the Senate — where the GOP controls 55 of the 100 seats — Democrats would have to filibuster to block Alito’s confirmation, a tactic that comes with political risks."

Bring it on! :thup:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9874588/

ScreamingEagle said:

I love how libs are trying to call him Scalito to insult his intelligence. But I think we should embrace the nickname. I would consider it an honor to be as well respected and intelligent as Justice Scalia.

ScreamingEagle said:

The Dimmos are already having catniption fits:

"Needlessly provocative"

"On abortion rights, and based on a 1992 case in which he supported spousal notification, Alito favors more restrictions than either the Supreme Court has allowed or retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor has supported."

"On gun rights, Alito in 1996 was the only appeals judge to vote against upholding Congress’ authority to ban fully automatic machine guns. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sarcastically described “Machine Gun Sammy” as a “perfect Halloween pick.”

"In the Senate, Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said lawmakers must “find out if the man replacing Miers is too radical for the American people.”

“President Bush would leave the Supreme Court looking less like America and more like an old boys club,” Reid added, referring to the fact that Alito is neither a woman nor a minority."

"Sen. Patrick Leahy, the senior Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, called it a “needlessly provocative nomination. Instead of uniting the country through his choice, the president has chosen to reward one faction of his party, at the risk of dividing the country.”

"Given solid Republican support in the Senate — where the GOP controls 55 of the 100 seats — Democrats would have to filibuster to block Alito’s confirmation, a tactic that comes with political risks."

Bring it on! :thup:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9874588/
Can someone please inform the Democrats that they LOST the last election and that they are in no position to be making demands?

Did you hear Schumer? He was yakking about how horrible it is to be divided and we need another Swingin' Sandra to "unite" us. I wanna where the hell this is coming from. It's as if a nominee who sticks too close to the constitution will contradict the Founders' wishes for sweet bird song and kumbaya.

KarlMarx said:
Can someone please inform the Democrats that they LOST the last election and that they are in no position to be making demands?

I'm pretty sure they can make all the demands they want... expecting to be listened to, however, is another thing.

theim said:
Did you hear Schumer? He was yakking about how horrible it is to be divided and we need another Swingin' Sandra to "unite" us. I wanna where the hell this is coming from. It's as if a nominee who sticks too close to the constitution will contradict the Founders' wishes for sweet bird song and kumbaya.
Do you think Alito is a uniter?

The ClayTaurus said:
I'm pretty sure they can make all the demands they want... expecting to be listened to, however, is another thing.
True..... but I believe they not only expect to be listened to, but obeyed, as well!

KarlMarx said:
True..... but I believe they not only expect to be listened to, but obeyed, as well!

I think that's true of most politicians. After all, it's a bunch of people who think that they hold the key to making the world a better place, so it should be expected that they all want to be reveared and obeyed...

The thing I'm going to look for is whether or not the Democratic party has strenghtened itself from the last election. If they want to fight the nomination, then they sure as hell better fight. I don't want to see any of the "taking to heart your opponents criticisms" I saw during the last presidential debate.

Based on their success/failure, this will be a good indication of how many seats will be won/lost in 2006.

Forum List

Back