Looking to Build a Desktop For the Best Bang For the Buck

Interesting thread. Love it! I used to build mine (and yes I am a gurl). It got cheaper to just buy one now days. But nothing like the feel of accomplishment when you build one, boot it up, and it works! LOL

Yes I built my last two, but when you start pricing individual parts, and then take into account the time you put into putting it together and some of the unforeseen problems you might run into like a motherboard that doesn't post, it just seems cheaper to buy one already put together.

I agree. Several years back it was cheaper to build. Not true now.

Interesting thread. Love it! I used to build mine (and yes I am a gurl). It got cheaper to just buy one now days. But nothing like the feel of accomplishment when you build one, boot it up, and it works! LOL

A build is all about the quality of the components. You won't get a GeForce 1080Ti in a Costco prebuild. I select every component with care. The power supply is a gold certified Corsair, the DDR 3 sticks are tuned pairs (also Corsair) the liquid cooling system will handle steep overclocks (I have my 3770K running 5.2 GhZ.) Motherboard needs to support all of this (Asus Maximus)

What you build will run circles around anything off the shelf, if it is built right.

A build is all about the quality of the components. You won't get a GeForce 1080Ti in a Costco prebuild. I select every component with care. The power supply is a gold certified Corsair, the DDR 3 sticks are tuned pairs (also Corsair) the liquid cooling system will handle steep overclocks (I have my 3770K running 5.2 GhZ.) Motherboard needs to support all of this (Asus Maximus)

What you build will run circles around anything off the shelf, if it is built right.

Bullshit! You're not running that that high.

:lol:

Try again

That is peak, and I'm liquid cooled.

Try again

Post a CPU-Z validation within 2 minutes to prove it. That's enough time to download, extract, validate, and post the validation link. It's 7:13 est.

Don't forget to type your handle from here.

DOWNLOADING CPU-Z_1.78-EN.ZIP | CPUID

Try again

Post a CPU-Z validation within 2 minutes to prove it. That's enough time to download, extract, validate, and post the validation link. It's 7:13 est.

Here is how.

3770k at 5.2GHZ, want to go further, need quick help

Oh, and I'm at work.

Try again

Here is how.

Oh, and I'm at work.

That's not going to work then :)

Try again

Here is how.

Oh, and I'm at work.

I couldn't remember the timings, but I did remember the guide I used to get there. He got it stable at 1.38V. I am at 1.42, which is considerably hotter. I am severely shortening the life of the chip, but the thrill of the chase makes it worth it.

Try again

Here is how.

Oh, and I'm at work.

I couldn't remember the timings, but I did remember the guide I used to get there. He got it stable at 1.38V. I am at 1.42, which is considerably hotter. I am severely shortening the life of the chip, but the thrill of the chase makes it worth it.

You're not going to get any higher and you're degrading a decent chip. When I say degrading I mean shortening the life/efficiency of.

As per the OP. I would wait until AMD releases the 6 and 4-core chips and get one of those and a mid-grade motherboard.

[

You're not going to get any higher and you're degrading a decent chip. When I say degrading I mean shortening the life/efficiency of.

Anytime you overclock, you degrade the life of the chip.
I'm the IT Director, I don't pay for my own stuff so I look more to pushing the limits.

Thought it wasn't your work puter. Still awaiting CPU-Z valid link.

I know a lil something about pushing limits. ;)

Snoopy_Woodstock_Easter_zpsuibznkl0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back