Looking out for the minority

Oct 13, 2014
Schools now a days seem to be too focused on helping everyone. Recently a school was instructed by the community to call the kids "purple penguins" because "boys and girls" was not inclusive to transgenders. This is just one of many examples of catering to every single minority and making sure every single person's needs are met, at all times. Now, calling kids "purple penguins" might seem rather silly and dumb, but really that's not a problem for schools or the education of young minds. However, if things like this continue, it may not be long before our entire education system is tailored for minorities.

Say for instance, if a school has no money to fund a support group for dyslexics. To fix the problem, they simply change the curriculum to something that dyslexic kids can keep up with. With this mindset, if everyone can still get the learning done, whether you have dyslexia or not, then what's the problem? In that case, the entire standard of learning gets lowered because educators sought to meet the needs of everyone.

Overall, this effort to meet the needs of every individual will become detrimental to the education of our children. While it is important to meet the needs of the people that need special help, changing the way we treat the majority is not the way. As cold hearted as it sounds, the minority might just need to suck it up if they can't find groups like them to be included in. Because the loss of single person is much better to have than the loss of many.

Schools now a days seem to be too focused on helping everyone. Recently a school was instructed by the community to call the kids "purple penguins" because "boys and girls" was not inclusive to transgenders. This is just one of many examples of catering to every single minority and making sure every single person's needs are met, at all times. Now, calling kids "purple penguins" might seem rather silly and dumb, but really that's not a problem for schools or the education of young minds. However, if things like this continue, it may not be long before our entire education system is tailored for minorities.

Say for instance, if a school has no money to fund a support group for dyslexics. To fix the problem, they simply change the curriculum to something that dyslexic kids can keep up with. With this mindset, if everyone can still get the learning done, whether you have dyslexia or not, then what's the problem? In that case, the entire standard of learning gets lowered because educators sought to meet the needs of everyone.

Overall, this effort to meet the needs of every individual will become detrimental to the education of our children. While it is important to meet the needs of the people that need special help, changing the way we treat the majority is not the way. As cold hearted as it sounds, the minority might just need to suck it up if they can't find groups like them to be included in. Because the loss of single person is much better to have than the loss of many.
I don't think this is bad for education, just bad for our society. It's yet another example of how Democrats and liberals are creating issues that didn't exist and using them to divide us into class, groups, sexes, whatever. If there's a group out there that Democrats haven't tried to patronize I haven't seen it. This is how Democrats make normal behavior seem discriminatory. It does nothing to improve society.

Say for instance, if a school has no money to fund a support group for dyslexics. To fix the problem, they simply change the curriculum to something that dyslexic kids can keep up with.

Fund a support group? Really?

Say for instance, if a school has no money to fund a support group for dyslexics. To fix the problem, they simply change the curriculum to something that dyslexic kids can keep up with.

Yes really. At my old middle school, instead of taking Spanish, all the kids with dyslexia (and just the all around dumb kids) went to a support group to help them out with their work. That doesn't seem far fetched at all to me.

Yes really. At my old middle school, instead of taking Spanish, all the kids with dyslexia (and just the all around dumb kids) went to a support group to help them out with their work. That doesn't seem far fetched at all to me.

Sure you don't mean the extra help that goes along with an IEP?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought IEP's were generally for kids with much more serious problems like down syndrome. Although I suppose you could simply replace "support group" with "IEP" in this case.

When I say support group, I am referring to academic support, not phycological support. So if an IEP is a academic plan to help dyslexic kids, then yes I do mean an IEP.

Just to clear this up, it is not an entirely different schedule, like an IEP usually is (I think), but rather a single period devoted to helping these dyslexics out. And obviously those take more teachers and more money. Just making sure that that is clear.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought IEP's were generally for kids with much more serious problems like down syndrome. Although I suppose you could simply replace "support group" with "IEP" in this case.

When I say support group, I am referring to academic support, not phycological support. So if an IEP is a academic plan to help dyslexic kids, then yes I do mean an IEP.

Just to clear this up, it is not an entirely different schedule, like an IEP usually is (I think), but rather a single period devoted to helping these dyslexics out. And obviously those take more teachers and more money. Just making sure that that is clear.

If you have a kid with an learning disability then they have an IEP. Many kids are mainstreamed and have one class devoted to the extra help. They are considered special education but have limited support. This may translate into extra time for tests etc. There are also kids that are qualified as special education but are behavioral and it very well may be psychological. Those kids are often in a separate classroom. It depends on how your district has decided that they are going to comply with the law and, frankly, how they can do the least they can do. An IEP doesn't translate into a different schedule. It's all academic support.

Dyslexia takes some work but there are those kids that once they figure out how to work with it can become speedreaders. One class may be all they need.

Common Core curricula have a lot to do with this issue. The idea that all children can learn at the same rate is preposterous. Mastering basic skills should be a prerequisite to learning more advanced concepts. This does not require segregation of students by ability; rather, it would require demonstration of basic skills before pursuing further enrichment activities. Some students may have to spend the entire semester learning these skills, while others proceed to more complex subjects on an individual basis. However, all students remain in the same classroom, and promotion to a higher grade would be based on demonstration of age-appropriate basic skills rather than nebulous theoretical concepts.

If you have a kid with an learning disability then they have an IEP. Many kids are mainstreamed and have one class devoted to the extra help. They are considered special education but have limited support. This may translate into extra time for tests etc. There are also kids that are qualified as special education but are behavioral and it very well may be psychological. Those kids are often in a separate classroom. It depends on how your district has decided that they are going to comply with the law and, frankly, how they can do the least they can do. An IEP doesn't translate into a different schedule. It's all academic support.

Dyslexia takes some work but there are those kids that once they figure out how to work with it can become speedreaders. One class may be all they need.

At any rate, an IEP does cost that extra money. The district still has to pay the teachers that work extra with the special needs students. If the school feels that they can't continue to pay for that support then more drastic measures might be taken (making all classes dyslexic friendly).

Common Core curricula have a lot to do with this issue. The idea that all children can learn at the same rate is preposterous. Mastering basic skills should be a prerequisite to learning more advanced concepts. This does not require segregation of students by ability; rather, it would require demonstration of basic skills before pursuing further enrichment activities. Some students may have to spend the entire semester learning these skills, while others proceed to more complex subjects on an individual basis. However, all students remain in the same classroom, and promotion to a higher grade would be based on demonstration of age-appropriate basic skills rather than nebulous theoretical concepts.

Should all the kids be in the same classroom? I mean, typically, there is 1 teacher, who teaches a lesson to the entire class and then the students are to do an activity of some kind based on that lesson. If everyone is in one room, how could that happen or how would that change to accommodate all the different skill levels?

Dyslexia prevents you from learning Spanish?

At any rate, an IEP does cost that extra money. The district still has to pay the teachers that work extra with the special needs students. If the school feels that they can't continue to pay for that support then more drastic measures might be taken (making all classes dyslexic friendly).

They already are dyslexic friendly otherwise they wouldn't be mainstreamed. :/

If they were dyslexic friendly then there would be no need for IEPs.

Dyslexia prevents you from learning Spanish?

No, it has nothing to do with Spanish. Spanish was the class that was chosen at my district as the best class to replace with an academic help period. Spanish was just seen as the best class to drop.

Why don't you read up a bit on special education services.

If you aren't already aware, it costs money to do things. The people that go into providing support for kids have salaries. They don't work for free. It is irrelevant about what an IEP is, because as long as it costs money it is something that can potentially be cut budget.

If you aren't already aware, it costs money to do things. The people that go into providing support for kids have salaries. They don't work for free. It is irrelevant about what an IEP is, because as long as it costs money it is something that can potentially be cut budget.

Get back to me D, after you have managed to correct the educational money problems that you conveniently ignore.

You seem to be invested financially in this which is why you conveniently ignore it.

Get back to me D, after you have managed to correct the educational money problems that you conveniently ignore.

You seem to be invested financially in this which is why you conveniently ignore it.

Conveniently ignore it? You are the one insisting that an IEP costs no money. I am well aware of the financial problems that schools face, if that is what you are referring to. That is how this whole debate came to pass, because you seemed reluctant to believe that an IEP could be cut out of the budget. If you are going to accuse me of ignoring something at least have the courtesy to explain yourself.

I never said that it didn't cost money. Again. Read up on how it works and what it is for. It's hard to take you seriously when you refer to a class period as a support group.

Forum List

Back