Looking for a well reasoned definition...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I'm looking for a well reasoned definition of 'Freedom FROM religion'.

I often hear the same talking point repeated over and over, that the 1st Amendment provides for freedom OF religion but not freedom FROM religion. I honestly do not see a well reasoned difference. I've made this request in the past, but nobody has ever been able to supply a reasonable definition of 'freedom FROM religion' that actually qualifies as an individual 'freedom'. Most would agree that the 1st Amendment protects one's right not to practice any religion. And isn't that freedom from religion? :dunno:

I often hear the same talking point repeated over and over, that the 1st Amendment provides for freedom OF religion but not freedom FROM religion. I honestly do not see a well reasoned difference. I've made this request in the past, but nobody has ever been able to supply a reasonable definition of 'freedom FROM religion' that actually qualifies as an individual 'freedom'. Most would agree that the 1st Amendment protects one's right not to practice any religion. And isn't that freedom from religion? :dunno:

Listen closely at Christmas time when the liberals are shitting on Christmas.

Easy answer.

It means that a person living in this country will not be forced by the government to participate in any religion.

It does not mean that same person will be free from ever having to view other praciting the religion of their choice.

Unfortunately, our left wing friends are sympathetic to a religion that would find non-followers of their religion......and cut their heads off. And are allowing a form of government, Sharia Law, to leak into our society that would make Islam mandatory for all citizens. We are turning a blind eye to this out of "Taaaaahhhhhhlerance".

HAHA!!! Thats true Willow.

Every Christmas, liberals try their best to free us from our Christianity. They're liberators I suppose!!!

Freedom from religion also allows a person to sit in the pew of a racist, radical church and listen to your friend spew hate for 20 years........then pretend you didn't.

• Banned
It does not mean that same person will be free from ever having to view other praciting the religion of their choice.

I agree with you that freedom FROM religion does not mean this.

But what I'm seeking is what it DOES mean, not what it doesn't mean. :thup:

Freedom of religion means you can practice any religion you choose

Freedom from religion means nobody forces their religious beliefs on you

it is not freedom from religion, and never has been....

freedom OF religion says enough....

i have the freedom of religion, to practice my own religion in the public square...

i have freedom of religion, which prevents being dictated as to what domination i choose, which prevents the government from choosing for me or mandating my religious beliefs....

freedom FROM religion does not exist in the bill of rights.

Freedom of religion means you can practice any religion you choose

Freedom from religion means nobody forces their religious beliefs on you

That is well reasoned and makes perfect sense. :thup:

However, it does make the talking point mentioned in the OP completely false.

Listen closely at Christmas time when the liberals are shitting on Christmas.
Real Christians don't celebrate Saturnalia

just sayin'

as far as i'm concerned you provided what you are asking for; a well reasoned definition

The term most often used by our founders was "freedom of conscience." That is that no one ought to be obliged to violate one's conscience by paying homage to any god that one did not believe in, etc.

"Conscience is the most sacred of all property; other property depending in part on positive law, the exercise of that, being a natural and unalienable right. To guard a man's house as his castle, to pay public and enforce private debts with the most exact faith, can give no title to invade a man's conscience which is more sacred than his castle" -- James Madison; from 'Property' (1792)

Last edited:
Last edited:
are you familiar with the establishment clause? :eusa_whistle:
Only applies to Congress

Any given member State can make any religion illegal or enforce an official religon

No they can't. US Constitution has precidence

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As I said

Forum List

Back