Looking for a job?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Received ANOTHER monthly report from the American Trucking Association refering to the critical shortage of drivers.

ATA Releases Driver Shortage Analysis Paper
The American Trucking Associations has released an analysis of the shortage of truck drivers, concluding that the current shortage is acute and limited primarily to the truckload sector of the industry; but that long-term trends could cause the shortage to explode in the next decade.

“Carriers and fleet executives have begun expressing concern about their ability to identify and hire qualified professional drivers,” ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello said, “and with this report, we tried to identify where the impacts were being felt the most, why the shortage is increasingly worrisome and why it has the potential to get worse.”

In the paper, available here, ATA said that while private fleets and less-than-truckload carriers may have some difficulty hiring drivers, the bulk of the shortage was confined to long-haul, over-the-road truckload carriers.

For more click here.

ATA Truck Tonnage Index Fell 3.8% in October -- ARLINGTON, Va., Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
Most entry level carriers offer paid training, vacation, 401K and health insurance.

Last edited:
i wish I could, but I can't. My medicine for my problems is narcotic based. My eldest son drives for Swift. It is a great way to see the US of A and earn good money. He's home 3 days a month. He has no wife or kids so he works all the time.
Another good trade right now is automobile techs.

Last edited:
From CNNMoney

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- During tough economic times with high unemployment, Americans should be jumping at any chance to work, but trucking companies are struggling to hire drivers.

There are as many as 200,000 job openings nationwide for long haul truckers, according to David Heller, director of safety and policy for the Truckload Carriers Association.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics also sees the demand for truckers increasing, up from the 1.5 million drivers on the road now. It expects trucking to add 330,100 jobs between 2010 and 2020, an increase of 20%.

But these positions are difficult to fill, and even harder to keep filled.

"Nobody wants to drive a truck," said Heller.

Tons of trucking jobs ... that nobody wants - Jul. 24, 2012

I'm in the process of trying to get training, but have a problem with blood sugars. Hopefully the medication I was put on will work, and I can get a medical card next week.

i wish I could, but I can't. My medicine for my problems is narcotic based. My eldest son drives for Swift. It is a great way to see the US of A and earn good money. He's home 3 days a month. He has no wife or kids so he works all the time.
Another good trade right now is automobile techs.

No other medication available, huh.

Swift is a very good entry level company...good equipment, good freight, good benefits.

I'm in the process of trying to get training, but have a problem with blood sugars. Hopefully the medication I was put on will work, and I can get a medical card next week.

Have you chosen a carrier?

I'm going to get a CDL from an independent school so I can be free to sign up with anyone, but they also do placement with Schneider and Watkins.

If you are even considering Big Orange, which is IMO the best entry level training
Van carrier, think about enrolling in their paid training...work for them for a year (at a slightly reduced rate, they forgive your debt for training.

Going to an independent school has it's advantages...you will likely make more per mile starting out.

But it has major disadvantages...first and foremost being you cannot learn to drive a truck in 3 weeks.

Most (not all but the majority) of CDL schools are just that, schools that teach you how to get a Cdl, not how to drive a truck.

If you do get a CDL independent of a company, look at Heartland Express, Iowa City, IA and Star Transport, Morton, IL.

Both pay well and will get you home.

Big Orange, Swift, JB Hunt, Werner, England, Prime...not so much.

Last edited:
I was a trucker/mover for 11 years. Loved the driving part.

Almost went back to it.

I don't think I'll ever be as happy doing anything else.

I do what I want, when I want.

Bed buggin' pays extremely well, but huffin' furniture, boxes of books and fine china up a three story walk up weren't my cup of tea. :D

Didn't like the hours of box van or reefer, so I started flatbeding 12 years ago, and never looked back.

I was a trucker/mover for 11 years. Loved the driving part.

Almost went back to it.

I don't think I'll ever be as happy doing anything else.

I do what I want, when I want.

Bed buggin' pays extremely well, but huffin' furniture, boxes of books and fine china up a three story walk up weren't my cup of tea. :D

Didn't like the hours of box van or reefer, so I started flatbeding 12 years ago, and never looked back.

There's nothing like being on the open road, smelling the coffee, and looking out at the vast expanse while the sun rises over it.

Have you chosen a carrier?

I'm going to get a CDL from an independent school so I can be free to sign up with anyone, but they also do placement with Schneider and Watkins.

If you are even considering Big Orange, which is IMO the best entry level training
Van carrier, think about enrolling in their paid training...work for them for a year (at a slightly reduced rate, they forgive your debt for training.

Going to an independent school has it's advantages...you will likely make more per mile starting out.

But it has major disadvantages...first and foremost being you cannot learn to drive a truck in 3 weeks.

Most (not all but the majority) of CDL schools are just that, schools that teach you how to get a Cdl, not how to drive a truck.

If you do get a CDL independent of a company, look at Heartland Express, Iowa City, IA and Star Transport, Morton, IL.

Thanks for all the info. The school I'm trying to get into does 2 weeks in the classroom and 3 weeks in the truck, so I think I'll be OK on that front. I am looking at Schneider because of their intermodal division (I worked in the storage & repair aspect of intermodal for most of my life) but I don't want to be tied anywhere for a year in case it doesn't work out for some reason. We can afford to cover my training, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for all the info. The school I'm trying to get into does 2 weeks in the classroom and 3 weeks in the truck, so I think I'll be OK on that front. I am looking at Schneider because of their intermodal division (I worked in the storage & repair aspect of intermodal for most of my life) but I don't want to be tied anywhere for a year in case it doesn't work out for some reason. We can afford to cover my training, so that's not a problem.

Do you have your TWIC card? If not, you should start working on it ASAP, plus, the TWIC background investigation (threat assessment) is usually good for your Hazmat endoresment as well.

Frequently Asked Questions | Transportation Security Administration (TWIC)

Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC®) | Transportation Security Administration

FAQ | Transportation Security Administration (Hazmat)

New Topics

Forum List

Back