Looking for a Counterpoint

Said1 said:
LOL. And Meathead plays the stereotypical liberal role to a tee! He was such a little suck. :D

True, and Meathead's character was always given the air of idealism and caring, very seldom was he shown to be wrong about anything.

The moment Rush took his first illegal pill, he knew he was violating the very ethics that he had promulgated over the airwaves for years. If he had entered rehab rather than taking the first pill, I'd agree with you, but as you know he scored 10,000+ pills before admitting his problem and seeking help.

If it was all a medical problem, all he had to do was go back to his doctor and say, "Doc, I seem to need more and more of these." And what prevented him from telling people what was happening rather than becoming totally addicted in private? Was it perhaps shame that what he had looked down on in others was suddenly his own weakness?

As for liberal tolerance, well, there are limits. Anyone who chooses to moralize over others and judge their behavior had better be ready for equally harsh judgement of his own behavior. As a physician, I know well what addiction is about, and it's easy to see what happened to Rush and why--totally normal. According to Rush's own morality, people like him belong in jail. If he's really so responsible, why is he fighting the legal charges against him, just like any street drug user, rather than pleading guilty to illegal drug use and going to jail?

Regarding the budget, under Bush, pork-barrel spending and corporate welfare have reached new heights. He never vetoed one spending bill. He started a war while reducing taxes. The amount we pay on interest on the national debt is more than twice Federal payments to Medicaid. That's an awful lot of drug rehab for people who, unlike Rush, can't afford it themselves.

Mariner.

Mariner,

So basically you're saying that if you are dumb enough to publically express that you believe that doing drugs is bad...but then human enough to make a mistake, you deserve to be mocked and taunted in an outrageous and humiliating manner by those who claim to want to help and understand others...

But if you are a smart enough slimeball to never publically state that something is right or wrong...then you can do whatever sick, depraved thing you like...because these open-minded liberals will embrace your failings and help you through the hard times...

Give me a break...

The man was in pain, and was afraid that if he stopped taking the pills he would not be able to make it through a day....he also suspected that if he sought help and that information reached the public, he might get villified by the liberals in this country (wow...was he ever right about that!!!).

As I stated before, there is a huge, glaring, and quite obvious difference between the drug abuse seen in Rush Limbaugh and the thousands of other people in this country who become addicted to their doctor prescribed medication (many of those people probably think that drug abuse is bad too...shall we mock and taunt their addiction too????) and someone who got addicted to coke because they liked the way it made them feel at parties.

Its hysterical to me to watch people talk about how each case is different, how each situation must be taken in context, that we should be sympathetic and understanding to those in pain, those sufferring addictions....and then watch them fall overthemselves to crucify a man who had the audacity to say what we all know is true...that doing drugs illegally is wrong...

Rather than say, "we know how hard drug addiction can be...so lets help him" they said, "YES!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!! Ha-Ha you hypocrite...I LAUGH AT YOUR PAIN."

But lets take your premise in your last post and return it to the original topic...

Rush Limbaugh believes that doing illegal drugs is bad...yet because of chronic back pain he became addicted to one of the most commonly abused medications on earth and upon taking his first illegal pill...became a hypocrite...his horrible pain caused him to do the very thing he had condemned others for doing.

So, Mariner...do you think we have the right to tease and mock him for this failing? Is it appropriate to depict him lying in his own vomit surrounded by pills when he comes forward and admits, quite embarrassingly, that he is a drug adict?

Should we treat all people who mess up this way? Perhaps set up a new treatment center??? Should part of drug rehab for any person who has ever said that drug abuse was wrong be that they are forced to have the cast of SNL mock them in front of the US??

Or should we ask if they are liberal or conservative first?

Let's see how many of us have taken a stand for something or many things being wrong?.............Well.......ALL OF US!

And how many of us have failed at being perfect?........ Yes again............ALL OF US!

Does that mean we are suposed to stop deciding what is right or wrong.................NO!

Of course I don't think we should tease and mock him--I'm a soft-hearted liberal. But I can understand why SNL did, which is what I was trying to explain: when someone sets himself up as "holier than thou," he earns a special tarring and feathering when he's revealed to be no holier. It's an American tradition. That's why priests are looked on so contemptuously when they abuse their powers, along with televangelists, etc.

And I do have real anger about the real effects of social services cuts, because I see them every day. I'm thrilled that Rush has changed his tune on the importance of rehab. Maybe now he'll throw his political muscle behind stopping HMOs from carving out mental health and addiction services and behind resisting cutting rehab and detox services for others, particularly those with no insurance.

Mariner.

I don't recall Rush ever setting himself up as a "holier than thou" just because he has very strong opinions. We are all guilty of that then.

I believe Gem's point in posting this thread was to illustrate how Liberals are so non judgemental of their own kind, but let a conservative have flaws and all bets are off.
Liberals certainly do present a holier than thou attitiude the only difference being they can't admit it.

Im sure Rush can take his lumps, this is hardly the first time he has had insults and lies thrust upon his character, but he always shrugs it off, and stays true to form. So Im guessing when all is said and done it will be those associated with SNL that look like jackasses.

Mariner,

Why is it that the liberal media, and people like the SNL cast and so many others missed the past few years when Limbaugh discussed drug rehab and the need to deal with drug abusers in a logical manner...instead choosing to focus on one inflamatory thing he said about drug abusers several years ago?

Why is it that the liberal media did not show the same amount of contempt for Kelly and Jack Ozbourne, who both talked candidly with MTV about how drugs had negatively effected their father in such obvious ways and because of it they had no intention of doing drugs ever?

yes, shes 18...and single...time for you to make your move, insein! :happy2:

MtnBiker said:
I wonder if SNL will ever do a parody on drug abuse using the Washington DC Mayor that used drugs?

Good ol Marion Barry.......The hooker luvin coke hound that even got re-elected...........What a country Huh??

I think I actually have seen parodies about him on SNL..

Mariner said:
Well, it's nice to hear conservatives defending the need for rehab programs, and admiring a drug abuser rather than condemning him to hell. It's quite liberal of y'all, and refreshing : )

Now I hope you put your money where your mouth is, and oppose further tax cuts that will force budget cuts in rehab programs.

Mariner.

Its religious bigots like you that make this world a horrible place.

How about you put your money where your mouth is instead of putting other peoples money where your mouth is. Donate yourself dont tell the government to steal money from others for your good causes.

Forum List

Back